about Harding Park GC

Well, here before the start of today's final round I think Harding Park has received lots of complements from the players and media. The long par 3 8th as well as the 9th and 12th (par 5's converted to par 4's) seem to have been the three "hardest holes" for the Tour pros. There has not been an especially significant difference between morning and afternoon round scoring, probably because the relatively soft ground morning dew is negated by the afternoon's bit firmer greens and drier rough.
The 2025 President's Cup is scheduled for Harding Park.

I watched a little of yesterday's telecast. I suppose my viewing priorities were a little off.

I saw some great to poor shots/putts by the players, and some nice picts of the surrounding area.

What really caught my eye more than anything else was the immense size of some of the trees on that course. One golfer was standing next to a tree to hit his shot. Maybe it was the camera angle, but the trunk of that tree appeared to 10'+ feet wide. It made the golfer standing next to it look like a toy doll.

I watched a little of yesterday's telecast. I suppose my viewing priorities were a little off.

I saw some great to poor shots/putts by the players, and some nice picts of the surrounding area.

Without spectators cluttering up the picture, t.v. viewers are getting a better view of the Tour event courses.

Talking to my dad today and found out he won the SF city championship at Harding for the first flight (5-10ish handicap range) back in the 70s. Let’s see which of these guys can join him in the Harding Park winners circle!

Will definitely be playing Harding with my dad the next time I’m back home after hearing that story.

Now that the tournament is done I think most players and observers will agree that Harding Park GC proved to be a good venue for a Major.
The organizers did what they could to make the course a challenge. For example building 5 new tee boxes that extended the total length of the course to about 7,200 yards, and the rough lines were grown in to narrow the fairway widths.
If the PGA or USGA wants to have another Major at Harding I suppose growing the rough taller would be about the only thing that could be done to make the course more challenging for Tour pros.

Thanks for the info. I would love to play this course some day.

You're welcome :)
Now looking forward locals (and tourists who visit to play the course) are hoping Harding Park will receive a new driving range. Due to the PGA Championship, for two years now Harding has had no range. Supposedly the PGA of America had previously offered to finance construction of a new multi million dollar practice facility at Harding (to commence after the 2020 PGA had concluded).

Same here.

@DG_1234 thanks for providing your insight as to the course. Your appreciation for your hometown gem was quite evident in your posts. You have a treasure there. I hope you continue to enjoy playing there.

Back