Abraham Ancer's 2-stroke penalty at The Masters

Shall we then by others contention apply the same focus on those who tamp down rough when putting the club behind the ball ? Or even more equally shuffling the feet in bunkers which could be mounting a argument of building at stance or testing ground... depends on point of view .

Under real time no slow motion no zoom in , if you were a spectator Or player in group or official it couldn’t be detected as the crest of sand was at best on the underside of the club. Compressing suggests a vertical downward motion. To move grains of sand was more a brush as in takeaway club face

I don’t agree with the penalty as it we are playing technicalities. Yet if we applied as suggested commonsense ( was it deliberate or incidental etc caused in the act of, I would suggest the player had far more focus on landing point and alignment etc for his back than sand issue , these people both male and female are brilliant at lies that are less than ideal. On courses tricked up for reward and punishment.

The punitive side of golf should be applied equally so across all strokes regardless of ball position on course ( fairway bunker ,rough etc ) and personalities.

That said it’s been a compelling tournament thus far and more to come.

Just watched the 16 seconds of vision again on I believe it’s his Twitter feed clip ( the screen is completely club head and ball and obviously sand) so we have zoomed in for clarity not as human realtime vision one look that it’s , we see the club waggle twice no touching sand , not until approx 12 second mark does the club brush the sand on the back swing

.Clearly can see sand looks like more toe side and I imagine the grind of the club the offending element of the club.

Still believe in response, you can mount a technical argument for infringement ( won’t get my vote as guilty but could stil, be applied ) , however sprinkle in commonsense and pragmatic point of view. And perhaps what would your behaviour be if you genuinely did not know ..Bearing mind the concentration, focus and gravitas of the game,

I guess I don't get the it? There are few rules more clearly defined and absolute than the one Ancer violated. Deliberate, inadvertent, how many grains of sand were touched, HD video or not, doesn't really matter. It has to be that way because if there was any wiggle room it would be stretched and abused. I didn't get the sense that anyone in this thread is judging or jealous. That he hovered so close given that lie was surprising more than anything. I mean this is his profession? I'm guessing he'll be more careful going forward and maybe his example will enlighten some uninformed weekend hackers too.
A member in here mentioned his daughter learning to be more careful the hard way. Happened to me early on too when my back foot slipped while trying to do too much from a steep faced fairway bunker in a tournament. Even being fairly new to golf I knew to call it on myself being it was a tournament. Sucks when something so easily avoidable adds strokes, but really how hard is it to hover a little higher to ensure you're safe? Especially given how clear cut and absolute that rule is.

Last edited:
If players should be held to the same rules, as in "all" players, then shouldn't "all" players' shots be subject for video review as opposed to just the some who are?

This selective, happenstance approach to rules enforcement is an issue for me.

In every other sport the play, "the" play, is what is subject for review. It encompasses everything within that specifically questioned moment within that specific frame in time of collective competition.

Individually filmed golf shots capture something but it surely isn't but a drop in the bucket compared to the big picture of overall competition.

Collectively speaking.

Back