Legal Alien
Reaction score
Handicap
NCGA 12.8
Yes or no?
7B3263E8-11D6-4990-B423-14B63168EA79.jpeg

nope. pretty simple

no part of the ball is below the lip of the hole? not holed, play it as it lies

Oh now this is a good one. Guaranteed that ball is in if the flag wasn't a piece of sh*t. I'd carefully pull the flag back to the middle and hope the ball drops in
if it drops when you move the flagstick, you have to take it out and place it on the lip (provided that the ball is not below the putting surface to begin with)

Looks good to me

All I know is I am super angry at whoever didn't put the flag back correctly.

Move the flag away from the ball, it goes in. Count it.
Move the flag away from the ball, it stays. Nope.

This is where golf and/or the rules are stupid. The views above are my own, not of the rulebook. Could not care less what it says in there.

This would probably crush my soul and destroy any faith I had of goodness in the world. Yes, I know I didn’t answer the question.

Man, I just hate the photo. So frustrating just to look at for so many reasons. :ROFLMAO:
I think the flag-replacer was faulty. Count it. :ROFLMAO:
But technically, if we have money on this, no way.

Was that a faulty flag or laziness by the group ahead? If that was the flag I would be asking for free golf for life from that course lol.

It’s a no for me.

On another note, does that cup hole look like an oval shape? Could be the angle of the picture too.

By rules nope. If I am in the group I will happily let you buy me a drink though.

It’s a no for me.

On another note, does that cup hole look like an oval shape? Could be the angle of the picture too.
No for me as well. It looks like the cup is cut on a pretty extreme slope and the ball is on the high side.

if it drops when you move the flagstick, you have to take it out and place it on the lip (provided that the ball is not below the putting surface to begin with)
So I’m aware of the first part of the rule, but I didn’t know if it dropped you had to replace it. I’d definitely be looking to have a ward with the group in front of that was me. I’ve lost count the amount of times I’ve had to straighten a flag on reaching a green. Putting a flag pole back into a hole, hardly bloody rocket science!!!!

I'd think the "no part" and "lip of the hole" definitions would get some play here. From the picture it looks as if a dimple or three could have been below the plane made by the green surface and the hole. Otherwise it probably wouldn't fall in if the flag was straightened.

Can you explain to me the physics of how it would fall into the cup when you move the flagstick if no part of the ball is below the surface? The ball will only fall into the cup if over half of the weight of the ball is hanging over the cup. You cannot have over half the ball hanging over the cup without the center (from the viewpoint directly above the ball) hanging over the cup. The center will be the lowest point.

Unless the ball is also sitting on top of other debris, I don't see how moving the flagstick isn't determinative here.

This is where golf and/or the rules are stupid. The views above are my own, not of the rulebook. Could not care less what it says in there.

My thoughts exactly. I’d probably encourage someone to count it that’s never had one before I’d count it since I have one.

For myself I don’t think I could count it regardless. If it wasn’t my shot, I’d go with whatever the golfer whose shot it was decides.

Not a hole in one. It’s a staged photo:p:p:p

I have to agree with the above. If I was playing a match with someone and I moved the flagstick vertical for them and the ball dropped in the hole I would count it and let them count it as a hole in one against me. If there was a new car on the line I am sure the insurance company would say no to the HIO.

If you move the flagstick vertical and it drops in there is no way you can replace the ball where it was because it would always fall in.

I don't know what the rules of golf say but my guess is they say no HIO.

If that happened to me I would never golf again. EVER.

To answer the question, think of the math. A cup is 4-1/4" and a flagstick is 3/4". That means with a vertical flagstick the opening for a 1-5/8" golf ball is 1-3/4". Clearly the flagstick has reduced the opening to much, much less than 1-5/8". The only way the ball would not possibly go in is if it approached the cup from the left side of the photo, since a ball rolled from right to left would have the space required to drop in if the stick was vertical. I don't see any way that ball doesn't drop when the stick is pulled away, since the only reason it's not below the surface of the green is that the stick is on such an aggressive angle.

Just for the record - I am counting it. My buddies would count it too. If I played with someone who said otherwise, I wouldn't play with them again. Golf is supposed to be fun, and you should be allowed to get excited every so often (especially after all the times you get frustrated.)

I don't play in any sanctioned events, so f**k what the convoluted rule book says.

Back