Aceing A Par 5, Really!!!

fairwaynut

Bettinardi Aficionado
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
SingleMalt
Along the same line as my earlier post about bird names for golf scores here's another one I've never heard before. Ever heard the term Condor?

Strong like bull....

I’ve had one of those before...on a really extreme putt putt course. Does that count?

I had to look up the Dick Hogan Par 5 Ace at Piedmont Crescent in Burlington since I am from Burlington. It turned into Quarry Hills Golf Course and is in Graham!

its not impossible if you cut the corner off a dogleg (and about a million other variables happen to go to your favor)

I believe there is a golf digest article about this from the early 90s.

Just need 17 hops on the path followed by a tree or curb kicking it towards the hole or a mickey mouse par 5 with trees or a lake that no one considered being able to carry. There is a hole on my course that it might be possible if you had a life time and no regard for possibly killing someone or hitting a car.

I always considered it something I would never really hear about, but it is a term I was aware of

The one thing that I never understood is why predominantly in the US, the term 'double eagle' seems to be used, rather than albatross - if an eagle is 2 under par, then surely a double eagle should be 4 under par (or condor)

I always considered it something I would never really hear about, but it is a term I was aware of

The one thing that I never understood is why predominantly in the US, the term 'double eagle' seems to be used, rather than albatross - if an eagle is 2 under par, then surely a double eagle should be 4 under par (or condor)

Double eagle is non-sense. It should be: Birdie, Eagle, Albatross, Condor.

If it was a short one, say sub 500, downhill, downwind and I hit the cart path just right, yeah I could see it happening!

When I was 13 years old (1976), I had a distant relative tell me that he had a world record condor until someone made one on a longer hole. His name was Billy I think and he supposedly was a head pro at a course in Florida that actually had a par-6. He said the par-5 he aced was a big dogleg and he had flown the trees to take a direct route.

I've never thought to verify any of this but with the internet and all, maybe I can contact a cousin back east and find the guys name. All I remember about him was that he was the spitting image of Andy Bean - lol

**Just did a quick search, and if he did make a condor, it isn't one of the few that are recognized** (side note: that branch of the family has a long history of prevarication...)

Last edited:
There’s a course around here that the green is only 280 yards away as the crow flies. You are actually further away as the crow flies if you hit your first shot dead straight 220 yards (which is really the only play) it’ll leave you about 300 out.

You’d have to hit the worlds highest tee shot to get it there though. I can hit the ball high, I mean really high, and I don’t attempt it. It goes straight uphill 200 yards then takes about a 120* turn left.

Now if a twister ever carved those tress up....

Back