Actual effect of lead tape on a fairway wood.

Hamfist

I promise not to murder Canadan.
Reaction score
Handicap
30+
So, I have a TM high lofted AeroBurner 3-wood (16.5 degrees), with a shaft that has been cut down to 5-wood length. When I hit it well, it goes pretty far (for me, not you bombers), but, it doesn't go very high. If I wanted to get more height on it, would putting some lead tap on the bottom at the back help get it more airborne? How much would it take to get an actually noticeable effect?

Obviously the easier and more correct answer to the issue is "Hit it better."

But, humor me a bit here.

I don't think it would practical to place enough lead tape low and back to make a meaningful difference in trajectory. Maybe if you could layer 10-15g of tape on there you might see a change? Probably needs more than that to make the ball fly more than a yard or two higher.

The effect on your swing of the club feeling 10-15g heavier would be far, far greater than the effect of that weight on the flight of the ball.

A similar club of 18 degrees loft would fly higher than any amount of lead tape will do on a 16.5 degree club.

So, I have a TM high lofted AeroBurner 3-wood (16.5 degrees), with a shaft that has been cut down to 5-wood length. When I hit it well, it goes pretty far (for me, not you bombers), but, it doesn't go very high. If I wanted to get more height on it, would putting some lead tap on the bottom at the back help get it more airborne? How much would it take to get an actually noticeable effect?

Obviously the easier and more correct answer to the issue is "Hit it better."

But, humor me a bit here.

In theory, it would take a pretty healthy amount of lead tape to truly make a difference, my guess would be 10g+ type weight.

BUT....YMMV and even changing the SW by one SW point (3g) may alter your feel, delivery and shaft deflection.

So....I'm thinking you need to just experiment with the tape and see what it can do for you.

In theory, it would take a pretty healthy amount of lead tape to truly make a difference, my guess would be 10g+ type weight.

BUT....YMMV and even changing the SW by one SW point (3g) may alter your feel, delivery and shaft deflection.

So....I'm thinking you need to just experiment with the tape and see what it can do for you.
Thank you!

The short answer is no, you're not really going to change the performance of the head with lead tape on the outside of the club.

Now the questions, did you hit this club before with a full length shaft and did you have a higher launch?

Going to a shorter shaft, it's very likely you have a pretty low swingweight. It's possible that this combo is impacting your delivery resulting in low dynamic loft at impact.

Could be function of swingweight or the drop in static weight (overall weight of the club).

General rule is 2g of tape for 1 SW point. You possibly lost 1-2 SW points going to the shorter shaft, so you can play with the lead tape, add about 2-4 grams and try it out.

Now, if you installed a shaft that has a lot of counter balance, you might need to add even more tape.

Hard to say if this will get launch up where you want it. As much as well all chase shafts, the head has most to do with launch conditions, and maybe this one isn't the best fit for you. Lead tape is cheap though, so worth trying out first.

Hard to say if this will get launch up where you want it. As much as well all chase shafts, the head has most to do with launch conditions, and maybe this one isn't the best fit for you. Lead tape is cheap though, so worth trying out first.

Or to look at the big picture, the SWING has the most to do with launch conditions, then the head, then the shaft. I've definitely found on hybrids, irons or wedges (not so much woods) that adding even 5-6g of lead tape changes the weight and balance enough to let me hit much better shots more consistently. Even though 5-6g of lead tape on a club that's hit by a swing robot would hardly make any difference at all.

I had a slightly shortened shaft on a Titleist hybrid once that I literally could not get the ball in the air and keep it between the tree lines more than once out of 3-4 swing. I put about 6g of lead tape on there and hit it great. That's the biggest lead tape success story I've ever experienced. I was ready to get rid of the club but once I brought the weight and swingweight up a little I was hitting solid, boring trajectory, straight shots just like I wanted.

What's your AoA with that club? Maybe putting the ball back more and getting steeper would help.

The short answer is no, you're not really going to change the performance of the head with lead tape on the outside of the club.

Now the questions, did you hit this club before with a full length shaft and did you have a higher launch?

Going to a shorter shaft, it's very likely you have a pretty low swingweight. It's possible that this combo is impacting your delivery resulting in low dynamic loft at impact.

Could be function of swingweight or the drop in static weight (overall weight of the club).

General rule is 2g of tape for 1 SW point. You possibly lost 1-2 SW points going to the shorter shaft, so you can play with the lead tape, add about 2-4 grams and try it out.

Now, if you installed a shaft that has a lot of counter balance, you might need to add even more tape.

Thank you!

What's your AoA with that club? Maybe putting the ball back more and getting steeper would help.
I play it with the ball forward of center, and am a natural sweeper. So, I figure the A0A is pretty low. I have changed the ball position to varied results.

I have lead tape on my driver. It is specifically for swing weight purposes. I placed it in the front of the head simply to effect ball launch if it does it all.

I just added around 5 grams of lead tape to my fairway wood. For me, it was like swinging a new club. I had maybe one playable shot in four. Afterwards, early returns are most shots are within an acceptable dispersion for me, and the one miss is markedly better than the half the misses without the lead tape.

I never thought I would be that sensitive to swing weight but I guess I am.

I just added around 5 grams of lead tape to my fairway wood. For me, it was like swinging a new club. I had maybe one playable shot in four. Afterwards, early returns are most shots are within an acceptable dispersion for me, and the one miss is markedly better than the half the misses without the lead tape.

Did you notice any change in the height of the shots? That’s what I’m primarily trying to influence, just getting the shots to go higher.

Did you notice any change in the height of the shots? That’s what I’m primarily trying to influence, just getting the shots to go higher.
It was probably a touch higher but I’d guess that is much more related from me being able to center my strike compared to just the lead tape.

It’s kinda hard to get lift when you top it or barely miss hitting a hosel rocket…that’s how bad it was for me. Unfortunately I wasn’t nearly consistent enough with it pre-tape to offer much in that department.

Good luck on the journey and let us know how it goes.

Tee the ball up higher and move it forward in your stance. That way the club head hits it on the beginning ascension of its arc instead of on the descension of its arc.

This should help you get the ball higher in the air. Or give you a hell of a slice.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Tee the ball up higher and move it forward in your stance. That way the club head hits it on the beginning ascension of its arc instead of on the descension of its arc.

This should help you get the ball higher in the air. Or give you a hell of a slice.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
The issue isn’t off the tee, it’s from the deck.

Where on the bottom of the club did add the lead tape? Photo?

Where on the bottom of the club did add the lead tape? Photo?
On the outside of the two rails, towards the back. The fitter didn’t want to put it down the middle due to turf interaction. Will try to share a photo tomorrow.

A day late and a dollar short, here’s the photoE0995CB5-1A63-44AB-9051-C81835968C26.jpeg

Back