Adam Scott Hot take

Templet0n

washed...
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
snow..
What are your thoughts?

He's not wrong. If you take out the majors, then it's even less.

It depends on how far down the money list you are, but he's not wrong.

so this is the Koepka model right?

I am sorry the millionaire doesn't feel all that interested in playing at peak performance every week.

for me? I think a great venue, solid sponsor, and solid field make the event.

Seriously, GREAT call.

Worked well for him for a bit. Not so much over the past 12 months.. Injury was an issue so we will see how it works moving forward..

Worked well for him for a bit. Not so much over the past 12 months.. Injury was an issue so we will see how it works moving forward..
I don't think arrogance has worked out for too many golfers from a support perspective. It's a very, very bad look.

One of those takes worth keeping to himself.

Well he's #21 in the world so he better get serious if he wants to be put in that 10-12 category!

I agree, probably many using the less important events as warmups for the majors. They all pay pretty well, though.

Agree on venue and field. Not so sure on sponsor. I mean ZOZO, Sentry, Sanderson Farms doesn't do anything for me.
yeah, not great examples for solid appeal, but there are some out there - heck, look at what the Waste Management tournament has become.

Not a lot like that, but there could be.

I like Adam Scott and have no problem with his words with one exception....that stupid ugly cheater putter!!

I like Adam Scott and have no problem with his words with one exception....that stupid ugly cheater putter!!
The problem I have is that it's bad for the game. You want your industry to thrive, and I don't think that is cultivated by telling fans that only a handful of tournaments matter throughout the year.

Or, use just a TINY bit of tact; "I've enjoyed some wonderful success during my career, and it has put me in a position to be a bit more selective on the events I decide to participate in, whether that is because I enjoy the area or use it as an opportunity to prep for Majors. Adding alternative elements to tournaments would definitely add appeal."

Appreciative, not anywhere close to being as arrogant, and doesn't take a steamy dump on the fans/locations of events.. or the players grinding every week.. or those spending their time at home watching. etc

The problem I have is that it's bad for the game. You want your industry to thrive, and I don't think that is cultivated by telling fans that only a handful of tournaments matter throughout the year.

Or, use just a TINY bit of tact; "I've enjoyed some wonderful success during my career, and it has put me in a position to be a bit more selective on the events I decide to participate in, whether that is because I enjoy the area or use it as an opportunity to prep for Majors. Adding alternative elements to tournaments would definitely add appeal."

Appreciative, not anywhere close to being as arrogant, and doesn't take a steamy dump on the fans/locations of events.. or the players grinding every week.. or those spending their time at home watching. etc
He's just saying what many already believe. I agree he could have been more selective in his choice of words. I mean its pretty obvious by the fields in some events that they don't matter to them.

This is the important point..

Also, it is getting closer and closer to the point where these "lesser" events are where he will be playing if he wants to play at all.

I will add one thing. Those alternate field events are big for younger players..

Here is a perfect example. Colin Morikawa got his first win at the Reno Tahoe open. That event is the epitome of the events that Adam is saying are "just entertainment". It is alternative to a WGC event were the big guys are playing that same week.

BUT!! that win got Colin into some other big events the next year. Spring boarded a great 2020 including a major win at the PGA. So, those events are very very big to some players at important times in their careers. It gives them reps. Gets them experience, gives sponsors a chance.

Of course they are also big revenue generators for the tour. That is important to the tour as a whole. In many many ways.

Maybe see where he is coming from if you automatically are in all the majors and WGC events but to the other professionals every tournament is important to work up the world golf ranking thereby getting into the premier/big money events. I believe all the Tier 1 events are fun to watch and there are usually multiple story lines. I'll admit the opposite field events are not something I pay much attention to but provide a livelihood to a lot of players. I guess he has so much money he is just starting to get a little bored.

I think the fans already know this. I think Scott's statement, while refreshingly candid, is not bad for the game and is essentially harmless.

I think the fans already know this. I think Scott's statement, while refreshingly candid, is not bad for the game and is essentially harmless.
can you explain why a top level professional golfer saying most tournaments don't matter is NOT bad for the game?

Back