Adam Scott Hot take

He's just saying what many already believe. I agree he could have been more selective in his choice of words. I mean its pretty obvious by the fields in some events that they don't matter to them.
If it's obvious, why say it? What is there to gain by saying it?

I agree with Adam on this one.

Regardless of how someone feels about his comments they are the truth, so I appreciate getting the "non spin" version and being spoken to like an adult, rather than a mindless viewer.

When Vancouver had the Air Canada Championship at Northview we were treated to a steady diet of the Tours worst players and bottom feeders. Hell Chamblee won one of them. Why? Nobody cared.
Pretending they care isn't helping anyone.

for the top echelon of players, yes. For the vast majority of the tour, no.
I agree. That is his strategy and several other top golfers, but lot of these guys are just trying to earn a living and would love a win anywhere. The paycheck for a win is huge and even bigger for the journeymen it comes with a 2 year exemption.

I also agree with several here's sentiment that it rude to those guys for Scott to act like those tournaments don't matter. Just something that doesn't need to be said. It comes across as aloof.

I get what he's saying and I guess I agree with it. Should her have said it that way? Maybe not. My guess is many of the top players feel that way but haven't said it. I would understand if some players get upset by that but I imagine your top players have a little different viewpoint than the rest of the tour. Not saying that's right or wrong.

I would say it's entertainment for a select few players. There are players further down the world ranking who are fighting tooth and nail to keep their card and consider them more than entertainment. I'm sure Adam's vocabulary wouldn't sound this way when he was first out on tour grinding.

Regardless of how someone feels about his comments they are the truth, so I appreciate getting the "non spin" version and being spoken to like an adult, rather than a mindless viewer.

When Vancouver had the Air Canada Championship at Northview we were treated to a steady diet of the Tours worst players and bottom feeders. Hell Chamblee won one of them. Why? Nobody cared.
Pretending they care isn't helping anyone.
I don't think he has to spin it or pretend to care. He made the question about it.

That's probably my biggest issue with the take. It's his (and as has been mentioned a privileged )perspective on the tour, and while I'm fine with him feeling that way, there's no reason to encourage others to feel that way as well.

Agree on venue and field. Not so sure on sponsor. I mean ZOZO, Sentry, Sanderson Farms doesn't do anything for me.

Although Sentry World golf course in Stevens Point WI is a beautiful, great course

Sentry World

can you explain why a top level professional golfer saying most tournaments don't matter is NOT bad for the game?

I honestly don't think that his statement has any effect on the game. People know that these lesser tournaments are not that important to many of the top players. Yet, these lesser tournaments still have sponsors, still have fans attending (when allowed) and still have television and other digital platforms covering the golf.

I honestly don't think that his statement has any effect on the game. People know that these lesser tournaments are not that important to many of the top players. Yet, these lesser tournaments still have sponsors, still have fans attending (when allowed) and still have television and other digital platforms covering the golf.
I don't agree that a comment like that, especially repeated by pro golfers, has a net zero effect on the way people perceive the tour. I get it's small, especially coming from one person, but I do not see it as being useful at all.

If it's obvious, why say it? What is there to gain by saying it?

I'm sure if he knew that he was going to face the wrath on an internet golf forum, then he would have remained silent. :ROFLMAO:

I don't agree that a comment like that, especially repeated by pro golfers, has a net zero effect on the way people perceive the tour. I get it's small, especially coming from one person, but I do not see it as being useful at all.

I understand your point; I just see it differently. And that's perfectly fine. :cool:

Bingo. His comments have zero impact on the game or how fans perceive it. Any golf fan can take a look at the current wrap around schedule and see there are "Elite" events that the top players want to play and others that are there to pad the pocket book. Last I check all sports are entertainment, so a player saying it's for entertainment is a non issue.

I can see the argument that it would have been a better look if he had worded it a little more tactfully, but I'll bet a lot of the players, especially the upper tier of guys, were nodding their heads in agreement. And a lot of fans probably already knew what he was saying too. Watch the threads here, on a forum full of golf fanatics - how much participation is there in a thread about a minor/opposite field event versus all the chatter that goes on during a Major? And that's among some of the most dedicated golf fans in the world.

for the top echelon of players, yes. For the vast majority of the tour, no.
I mean, let's face it - if they're going to do team events, they're going to want that top echelon of players involved. Nobody is going to tune in to watch a bunch of guys that are #200-300 in the OWGR playing in a mixed event. The big names would be the draw.

It’s pretty much how I feel when viewing events, so I don’t see any reason why the top players shouldn’t feel this way when playing them.

I don't think he has to spin it or pretend to care. He made the question about it.

That's probably my biggest issue with the take. It's his (and as has been mentioned a privileged )perspective on the tour, and while I'm fine with him feeling that way, there's no reason to encourage others to feel that way as well.

You know another very funny thought.. He said this at the Sentry TOC. An event that if it had been a normal 2020.. He may not have been invited to as he did not win in 2020.. :LOL::LOL:

He’s not wrong. But, I think there’s a lot of guys who haven’t solidified their lifestyle that feel very different.

i would think folks chasing fedex cup points would think there are more than 12 tourneys that matter...

Adam Scott couldn't be less interesting so I don't feel bad he's bored by making $55 million golfing

Adam Scott couldn't be less interesting so I don't feel bad he's bored by making $55 million golfing
Pay me 5 million and I will be twice as boring! Hard to feel bad for a guy like that.

Back