Adam Young took some students to Genesis Open

Luchnia

You will never conquer golf.
Reaction score
Handicap
Found this article rather interesting and thought others might enjoy this. Adam Young took some students to Genesis Open and noted some interesting things about the pros there. Here is the link https://www.adamyounggolf.com/pro-golfers-not-good/

One thing stood out to me about the article were these statements below especially half of the players miss the fairway with an iron on one hole. If we really saw the pros more from the entire aspects of their games it might encourage more people to get involved with golf. Here is what he says:

In fact, during the day we saw;

• Quite a few wild drives that ended on opposite fairways
  • Lots of missed putts from inside ten feet
  • Half of the players miss the fairway with an iron on one hole
  • Dustin Johnson pull his tee shot so far left that it hit a tree, bouncing back into the fairway at just 120 yards or so.
  • Some drives that were so far offline that an amateur couldn’t hit it there if they aimed at that spot.

Yeah I saw that blog post last year. Definitely agree that TV coverage give people the impression that no one ever misses a shot out there. It makes sense that they hardly ever show the lower part of the field that's struggling in a given week.

I'm not sure this would encourage more people to get involved in golf. However, it should make current high handicappers revise their expectations & realize what is actually OK. And it drives home the fact that this is a damn hard game to be good at.

Found this article rather interesting and thought others might enjoy this. Adam Young took some students to Genesis Open and noted some interesting things about the pros there. Here is the link https://www.adamyounggolf.com/pro-golfers-not-good/

One thing stood out to me about the article were these statements below especially half of the players miss the fairway with an iron on one hole. If we really saw the pros more from the entire aspects of their games it might encourage more people to get involved with golf. Here is what he says:

In fact, during the day we saw;

• Quite a few wild drives that ended on opposite fairways
  • Lots of missed putts from inside ten feet
  • Half of the players miss the fairway with an iron on one hole
  • Dustin Johnson pull his tee shot so far left that it hit a tree, bouncing back into the fairway at just 120 yards or so.
  • Some drives that were so far offline that an amateur couldn’t hit it there if they aimed at that spot.
BTW have you checked out Adam Young's book "The Practice Manual"? Brilliant read. If you want to get better a lot faster, he's a pretty good source.

This is why we don’t see the same players on TV week in and week out. It’s a tough game for everyone that plays it.

This was mentioned in the get a grip podcast with shane bacon and max homa. (This reads like a plug for them but it isn't.)

To paraphrase Max, basically the tv coverage of the PGA tour is unrealistic in what they shot... perfect shots, perfect approaches, perfect putts. All. The. Time. He wants to see more of the shanked shots, missed shots, wild shots... the real golf that's not shown to show that the PGA pros aren't perfect.

Shane countered that there would be a lot of resentment by this from the players because they would feel singled out by showing their lousy shots.

Tv has got to keep the pros happy and the fans invested, but I think there's plenty of room to show all of the typical tv golf as well as the players that aren't playing as well as the tournament leaders are. Missed putts, duffed shots, shanked tee shots, crazy duck hooks, and everything that a lot of us associate with our golf games.

Back