kidzwitgunz

Reaction score
Handicap
So was just messing around today and was COMPLETELY blown away by these! Seriously suprised me, so much so that I am now going to have to look into Adams irons (A4 or Pro Gold) not just the VR's.......:banghead:

My question is though, while I hit them pure and I like the lite shafts it seemed I was getting a TON of balloon on my shots, AND losing serious yardage! 6-iron was only going 165ish into a 1-2 club wind. The shafts are DG SL S300 and that's all I can demo. So is it possible to keep weight down and get a lower ball flight/better yardage with a different shaft?

My current irons are the Adams GT Tour Tight Lies (bi-matrix shafts s-flex), so I realize I'm not going THAT far towards a player's iron (compared to the VR Split's) but I don't mind a little forgiveness mixed in with some playability*. The dispersion was tight, went were I wanted 'em to go, just not far enough and a tad too high. I just hate to give up distance and also hate to give up my 3 and 4 iron's.............this is what I get for playing the same irons for soooooo long, always find something else...........:banghead:

Plus is it true that Cahd Campbell gamed these once?

*Yes these are playable, can hit pretty much everything my buddy could come up with and two REALLY awesome mis-hits that would have scapled a gopher! :D

I dont know about the distance because 165 into a 2 club wind sounds pretty good to me. But you must be a really long hitter compared to what I hit. I like the Adams A4 quite a bit. They are VERY different from the splits and to compare the two, you would have to look more at the Nike Full Cavity to compare apples to apples.

As for the ball flight, it will be almost entirely dictate by the shaft and swing in irons rather than the head. As for Chad Campbell playing these, it does not show up that way in the Darrell Survey, so I d o not know.

I just saw it on another forum when searching for A4 reviews, so thought I'd ask here.........

Distance wise it just seemed aout 5-8 yrds shorter when compared side to side with my current six and believe it or not the ball flight was EVEN higher than my current 6. Weridly enough just like the other club's I have been hitting even though it is shorter overall dispersion is waaaaaaaay more tight. i.e.-shot to shot they are checking up/landing in almost the EXACT same spot. This I attribute to better club tech since 2000.

Also I don't set my heart on a brand, instead hit everything till I find what I can PLAY with! :D That being said forgiveness is nice and with the Split Cavity's I hit them well but my local pro shop only has them in some type of rifle-esque shaft that is just waaaaaay to stiff even for me and the the length of their demo wasn't close to long enough. Plus I am at the point in my life where I can play/work the corse pretty good I just don'thave the time to work on little small things that are required to REALLY drop my score.

Now if I could find a way to demo the Pro gold's or the A7's and find out for sure if I can get the EXACT same irons in the 3 and 4 as well.....

Last edited:
Also when I hit the VR Full's it was very difficult for me to get fade's(high or low) and other more right leaning type shots, seems like the forgiveness was a little more or is my mind playing games? According to Adam's own video the A4 is for scratch to middle handicaps right? Which would be me so.......

And while I am in a gut check mood, to be perfectly honest with everyone I do feel that the Split Cavity's are almost TOO much club for me, especially in tempo and shot to shot/swing consistency.

I have really only started working hard at working the ball heavily and attacking pins head-on since I got back 2 years ago. The all does what I tell it to do, but mis-hits happen and more forgiveness might be a good thing, since the Split Cavity's PUNISHED me on mishitting fade's etc. My cap is low because I play good, long up the middle golf with nothing fancy. I can land in/on a large portion of par 5's in 2, I bump and run more than flop and in doing so get tap in par's/birdie's a lot and can scramble REALLY well!*

*mainly because I work well under pressure....go figure :D

Last edited:
I have these irons and all I can say is they are incredible. I was caught off-guard with these and was considering the Mizuno and opted for these because I just hit them so much better.

I just saw it on another forum when searching for A4 reviews, so thought I'd ask here.........

Distance wise it just seemed aout 5-8 yrds shorter when compared side to side with my current six and believe it or not the ball flight was EVEN higher than my current 6. Weridly enough just like the other club's I have been hitting even though it is shorter overall dispersion is waaaaaaaay more tight. i.e.-shot to shot they are checking up/landing in almost the EXACT same spot. This I attribute to better club tech since 2000.

Also I don't set my heart on a brand, instead hit everything till I find what I can PLAY with! :D That being said forgiveness is nice and with the Split Cavity's I hit them well but my local pro shop only has them in some type of rifle-esque shaft that is just waaaaaay to stiff even for me and the the length of their demo wasn't close to long enough. Plus I am at the point in my life where I can play/work the corse pretty good I just don'thave the time to work on little small things that are required to REALLY drop my score.

Now if I could find a way to demo the Pro gold's or the A7's and find out for sure if I can get the EXACT same irons in the 3 and 4 as well.....

Couple of things I would say. One, it is probably worth checking that the lofts and lengths are consistent between the two sets. If the lofts are weaker on the A4s (unlikely I suspect as trend has been for sets to get stronger, not weaker) that would explain the difference and just mean you need to hit 5 iron instead of 6 iron.

Two, what flex shafts do you have in your current set? The DG S300s should be a fairly low launching shaft, but if you're hitting a 165 yard 6-iron into a two club headwind and complaining that it's not long enough, you might want to try the X100s. If you hit those too high, there's nothing much you can do with a shaft to fix that.

If I were you though and the dispersion is much tighter, I'd swallow my ego, buy the new set and just accept that I need to hit more club sometimes.

Couple of things I would say. One, it is probably worth checking that the lofts and lengths are consistent between the two sets. If the lofts are weaker on the A4s (unlikely I suspect as trend has been for sets to get stronger, not weaker) that would explain the difference and just mean you need to hit 5 iron instead of 6 iron.

Two, what flex shafts do you have in your current set? The DG S300s should be a fairly low launching shaft, but if you're hitting a 165 yard 6-iron into a two club headwind and complaining that it's not long enough, you might want to try the X100s. If you hit those too high, there's nothing much you can do with a shaft to fix that.

If I were you though and the dispersion is much tighter, I'd swallow my ego, buy the new set and just accept that I need to hit more club sometimes.

Well in all honesty I will have to call Adams, all I know for sure is that they are some type of bi-matrix DG that have GT/Adams badging and are stiff, I bought them after being fitted and all I cared about was memorizing how much longer and mroe upright my clubs were over standard.

Far as conditions went its really hard to judge the wind speed at my club's range since it gusts really weird, and they were VERY used rage balls which have horrible compression etc.

And to be honest I think I will swallow the ego, lower scores trump my length any day! However I am going to plead with my fitter to try and let me hit the x's! :D Though I do probably also need to hit some balls tomorrow and make sure my angle of attack isn't too steep as well, if the new DG SL shafts are really THAT much lighter maybe I change my plane easier?

Does anyone know for sure if the 3 and 4 are identical in shape/size etc on the a4's and/or the pro gold's? My own research is telling me they might be a different club? I don't mind retraining my game for hyrids ut if I am hitting the irons a little less, and hit the hybrids a little stronger than my current 3 & 4 wouldn't I be looking at a 15-20+ gap from hybrid to 5 iron?

I did a review on the main page, long ago.

Are these the forged A4 Techs that we are talking about? If so, I liked them, excellent workability, but yeah, ballooned a lot for me. I was hitting the 6 iron 175 without wind when I demoed, which pleases me, but the trajectory was crazy.

How would one search for this review?

Click on Home at the top of the forum and it will take you to our main site. From there, you can search for all of our reviews or articles.

Are these the forged A4 Techs that we are talking about? If so, I liked them, excellent workability, but yeah, ballooned a lot for me. I was hitting the 6 iron 175 without wind when I demoed, which pleases me, but the trajectory was crazy.

Since someone else revived this.......

Yes and same here, I am checking with Adams HQ in Plano aout how much it would cost to put maybe a diff DG shaft with a lower launch etc.

The more I demo these the more I notice how un-GI these are. Couple of buddies hit them and while some liked them, a bunch did not because of the feedack they got when missing the ball. They are still more of a gi-player's-something than a true "tour player's iron" yet it's one of the few clubs I know specifically designed for a mid-handicap. Also the Adams rep I spoke with on the phone did confirm that at one time Chad Campbell was using these, but his were the "Tour" A4's and were darker, not forged, narrower, more of a constant offset, cast, and said tour where the vanilla A4's say forged.

Just like with most pro's his clubs were probably only A4's in name only but he is one heckuva consistent ball striker so if the general concept was good enough for him at "one time" I will probably do okay. And 3 and 4 irons are avail. just have to wait, though the set costs less! :clapp:

Back