Adams Fast 12 Driver & FW Wood Forum Review

I snuck out for 18 this afternoon - played really well again and shot an 83. 42 on the back (started on #10), 41 on the front.

I'll post some Fast 12 results after I play basketball this evening. Hit some more quality shots with it.

There's been some pretty good stuff in this thread dudes. I've enjoyed reading it. I'm still perplexed by the stock shaft offering but really and truly, I reckon this is one decent golf club. I still often ponder the 3wood.

There's been some pretty good stuff in this thread dudes. I've enjoyed reading it. I'm still perplexed by the stock shaft offering but really and truly, I reckon this is one decent golf club. I still often ponder the 3wood.

I hit the 3 wood on Sunday. It wasn't bad. I thought the ball felt good off the face. It seemed to be the highest ball flight of everything I hit except for the xcg5. I'm looking forward to trying it again at the outing and putting it up against a bunch of other fairway woods.

have you noticed worse misses i.e slices with the Adams than say the G20? That's what I've seen so far. The Adams miss is a short high slice where the G20 is more of a long block for me

I played again yesterday but didnt write up a review yet and may not. My driver swing was so out of whack I kept slicing OB and into the woods. But I know it wasnt the driver as I saw very good results on Saturday.

I hit the 3 wood on Sunday. It wasn't bad. I thought the ball felt good off the face. It seemed to be the highest ball flight of everything I hit except for the xcg5. I'm looking forward to trying it again at the outing and putting it up against a bunch of other fairway woods.

That's that shaft I reckon Deano! I'm not to fond of the offering. I know I sound redundant but I just don't care for it.

Got some more range time in today. Everything is back in order. Fast 12 was flying the large pines at about 225, guessing they were ending up around 240-50 without roll.

Miss hits high on face still giving me sporadic trouble. Just a drastic distance loss.

I like the 3wood, it is a good club. However, I am not a big fan of the shaft.

My two knocks on this club so far are that is doesn't feel as "hot" as you would expect and the high launching nature.

have you noticed worse misses i.e slices with the Adams than say the G20? That's what I've seen so far. The Adams miss is a short high slice where the G20 is more of a long block for me

Until Sunday I would have said not really. I do think its not as forgiving across the face as the G20 though. I just struggled in general with the driver on Sunday but it was with both of them.

Today while I was playing I hit a few balls with the Fast12 after hitting the Bridgestone J40 just to gauge how they stack up against each other. I suspected that the J40 would be significantly longer because it just feels like more of a solid club. Solid and more of a heavy hitting club if that makes sense but today that theory was put to rest as the Fast12 stacked up quite nicely actually. Early on I was complaining of the ball flight but more than anything that was my big swing flaws cropping up again, I seem to have those worked out and I'm happy with the trajectory and distance I'm getting out of the Fast12.

Here's video of a couple shots, I say that the hole I recorded was 440 yards but today it was playing right at 430, so still a solid 280 with the Fast12 with a tail wind of under 10 mph. The other shot was just one I grabbed of the Fast12, I had a gorgeous trajectory with a nice little draw on that 2nd ball, it went 275 with a left to right wind on that hole.

Hope you don't mind me chiming in guys, but this is eerily similar to what I saw hitting these side by side at a demo day. This and the G20 were finalists to displace my D2 but I felt the Fast12 miss was much more of a slice, but it was really close. I really liked the Prolaunch Blue shaft (wonder what that would be like in a G20 head).

Looks like some other guys are having better results than I did.

Hey everyone, I apologize for not posting yet this week. I've been juggling driving my mom to radiation and taking my niece to softball this week. Plus, my cooperating teacher will be observing me tomorrow so I've had to invest time into prep. I hope to have something up this weekend.

Hope you don't mind me chiming in guys, but this is eerily similar to what I saw hitting these side by side at a demo day. This and the G20 were finalists to displace my D2 but I felt the Fast12 miss was much more of a slice, but it was really close. I really liked the Prolaunch Blue shaft (wonder what that would be like in a G20 head).

I am quite surprised that you would choose the Fast12 over your D2, even if it is early days for the testing. The lack of feedback off the club face on a bad shot would be enough to put me off so far.

Looks like we're stuck in a 4 day cycle of crappy weather. Wednesday or Thursday appear to be the next opportunity for me to get on the course. Stupid inconsistent April weather.

I hit this driver today in a stiff 9.5, and LS 9.5 & 10.5 w/ stiff Fubuki offering. The range measured out to 250 yards. With the regular version I found it light and very forgiving. I had a super high launch and was dropping 10 or so yards in front of the 250 marker. I thought it felt okay but I've figured out that a lighter driver is not necessarily my favorite option. With the LS head and other shafts I was making great contact. Hit a couple that faded at the end but a couple of mid trajectory bombs that would run out of days. Both seem like great options.

Got a chance to finally hit the Fast 12 driver, didn't know what to expect as the Fast 12 FW I'm testing and I didn't get off to a great start. But wow was the driver a beast. First shot was dead straight, nice mid to high trajectory and about 230 carry which is fairly good for me. I hit a lot of clubs today and it was between the Fast 12 and a G20 for the lead. Really liked the silver finish on the crown, but the circles on the back of the crown is much more distracting for me than the slot of the fairway wood. If I didn't hit the G20 a little further and it just felt a bit better the Fast 12 would have been in the bag for sure. Miles ahead of the RBZ, RAZR, D2, AMP combined!!!
I find it interesting how the Speedline 12 and G20 ended up being the two finalists for so many of us.

The Speedline 12 was slightly longer but slightly worse on dispersion than the G20 for me. I thought both felt great but each in their own way. Maybe even preferred the feel of the 12 a bit over the G20 but loved the look of the G20 at address, just oozed confidence for me.

There were some financial considerations that I can't really go into here that ultimately swayed me to the G20.

Post purchase I am glad I ended up with the club that is more foregiving on mis-hits and love the G20, but think one really couldn't go wrong with either club, as they are both great.

Worked with the Fast 12 over the weekend on the range and the course. I put it in the bag for what was my worst round of the year. One prevailing theme I've seen is that when I revert to my old swing, which is basically a slice-inducing swipe at the ball, I have a hard time controlling the club. It seems to really enhance that miss for me. So much so that driver ends up being a more accurate option for me off the tee. I don't know if this is the head or the shaft or both combined, but it's not a great option for me if I'm struggling.

When I'm swinging well, the distance and a pretty nice ball flight is definitely there and I did get some good swings in at the range. Typically a little higher than my other fairway wood and almost neck and neck when it comes to length. Those shots are typically off a tee for me. Off the turf is generally lower with more roll out.

Hitting the center of the face produces a nice feel/sound, even on shots that don't stay straight. The worst place to miss continues to be the heel. I see the worst results from this miss, along with a harsh feel in the hands.

I could see this being a viable option for me when I'm swinging well, but mostly off the tee. Even on my best days, I'm not strong enough off the turf to get the best results off the turf with it. As mentioned before, I'd like to see how a higher loft worked for me.

Had a great day with the Fast 12, can't say the same for the rest of my game, but at least when I called upon this 3 wood it performed like I wanted it to. I had a couple wayward drives that left me quite a bit of distance left and needed to really get the ball down there, the Fast 12, when struck well, really gives me the distance I was hoping for. Especially on 18, hit into a hazard on a long par 5 off the tee, chipped out and had almost as much as my drive left for my third. Carried this bad boy almost 230, which is long for me with a 3 wood, got great flight, mid-high, and really "felt" good to me.

On the other side, when I put a bad swing on this, it doesn't help straighten me out at all. I had a couple low pull hooks and one open face push. They were my fault, but any help I can get from my clubs I appreciate!!!

One thing I did find, and I think it's more swing related, is when I really get ramped up and focus, I almost put a better swing on the ball then when I relax and swing freer.

Going to try and get out for 9 holes or so tomorrow if i get the chance and i'm going to leave the D2 behind and just work on the Adams itself, i'm comparing the two of them far too much and the Fast 12 deserves a single run out. I'll report back with some more findings.

Sorry I haven't posted in this thread for a while.

Here are some notes from my last two trips out where I used the FAST 12 -

League play last Thursday evening : I was all over the place and generally a complete mess with this club. I resolved to spend a bunch of time at the next range session with it to try to sort out what was going wrong.

Today's range session : I hit about three dozen balls with the driver, with a stance and swing plane adjustment, and saw pretty dramatic results - good distance and accuracy like I've never had from any driver. Consistent 225-250 yard hits except for a few clunkers. I have to believe that with "real" balls instead of range rocks I would probably see even more distance. On-center hits were straight or had a touch of draw or fade... definitely "in the fairway". Ball flight was medium-low. I hope I can repeat this sort of consistency in two days when I have another league round, it will probably knock 5+ strokes off my score!

As can probably be inferred from my previous posts, I had more or less come to the conclusion that this club was probably best suited for a player well above my skill level but I'm going to take that back now. Very impressed. I'm going to keep working on this.

Ken

Really nice update.

After a short hiatus, I think I'll actually get to play golf tomorrow. Woo!!

I managed to play on two occasions over the last few days and both times i decided to take out both drivers but only use the Fast 12 (D2 was there for a back up). The two days could not have been at two further points on the spectrum so i really find it hard to stay on one path of thought on this club and my ideas and opinions change all the time on it but maybe thats the thing about reviewing a club. The first round i had a friendly match with one of my closest buddies who is as consistent as the Scottish rain, he never gives you a minute or a chance to sneak a hole or get in his head, so it was a great feeling being 3 and 4 (however it did end up all square but i must admit i only used the driver once on the last 4 remaining holes, i was raging after it haha). I could not have hit the driver any better and it flew so straight and true but as we've all agreed before the launch is a little too high but it felt good and it put me in some great positions for GIR and get some pars/birdies. My friend even had a smack and he loved it and for a few holes kept asking to hit it but when it got to the nitty gritty he went back to his old driver. As i've said before i don't really feel this driver has a bad slice in it (for me anyways), this can be down to the driver or maybe it's because it's a neutral setting and because i have a slice in me maybe sub-conciously i may be trying even harder to release my hands more but when it comes to my D2 i know it's in a closed position and i may think it'll do all the work for me and i don't try as hard. Anyways the results were good and i enjoyed playing the club so i was excited to get it out the bag again for my next round and hopefully have the same results.

HOW WRONG WAS I.........

Granted the next time i played it was a tad windy and this does not agree with the shaft, the ball flight is just too high and you were fighting all the way round. I found myself choking down a little, tee'ing the ball lower, putting it further back in my stance and shortening my follow-through to give that low penetrating ball flight but with lower ball flight comes shorter distance. If you live where i play its known as the wind tunnel so you kinda need that shot in your locker for the days when it's really windy but the thing is it's April and its light winds and i was having to resort to this shot due to the shaft, which is not ideal. I was kinda all over the place and it got in my head after about 6 or 7 holes and my round went from bad to worse but i thought it may pick up on the back 9 when i'm playing with the wind at my back. I decided to play my normal shot with the wind but the ball was just getting caught up in the wind up there and it was moving everywhere but where i wanted it to go. I've said before the feed-back on the club is quite poor off the face and it seem to be even more frustrating when the ball was not doing what i intended it to do in these conditions and you don't know how to correct it.

I feel that's what could stop me from gaming this all the time as it's not a weapon i feel that i can use on any course in any conditions and people like us don't have the cash to be splashing out on different equipment for those reasons. On a good day the ball travels straight, quite long and the dispersion is close but on the off days i feel it's not as long but high, as i said it's not got a slice on it for me which is nice but i'd rather take the chance on a wilder club just for the feedback and excitement i get off the face as silly as that may sound to some people.

My dad said to me last night so what's it like playing with the Fast 12 and i could only sum it up by saying "it's like mum shouting at me and i don't know why as she won't tell me" that's the best way i can describe it haha. Back to the drawing board for some more testing sessions

Alright, so teaching gave me a tiny window in my schedule so I snuck out and played a quick 18 yesterday afternoon. In the interest of being "fair" my golf swing looks/feels as if it's been mugged, ran over, reincarnated, and then mugged and ran over again. We played a local cow pasture that's short, easy, and open...which should help combat my lack of skills. I'll run you through a hole by hole journey and then discuss some things that I noticed.

Hole 1 (Par 5, 465 yards): Here we have a wide open par 5 that is easily accessible in 2 or 3 if you have a bad shot. I teed up w/o a warm up and focused on the fairway...I've been struggling with a slice that could challenge the most open of courses. I hit a straight ball albeit short that landed about 220 out. I was seeing a mid ballflight which shows how badly I'm swining at the moment. I saw no deviation left or right. The ball stayed on the taget line. The problem is that it had little carry and would have wound up 250 yards out if the fairways weren't rock hard.

Hole 4 (Par 4, 370 yards): This is one of the few challenging holes on the course. You have water right, trees left, and if you carry the ball to far it's going to funnel down into a hazard. Luckily for me I carry the ball about as far as a ten year old so I ripped one with the driver. I hit the ball in the center of the club face but it came off feeling as if I had just hit a knuckle ball....the ball lacked any ball speed and fluttered off to the right just short of the water. It almost felt as if the ball was broken when it hit the club face. That's the only time it's happened with this driver so I'm assuming it was some sort of oddity in my swing. The ball traveled about 220 with minimal carry which is pretty solid considering how crappy it felt coming off of the club face.

Hole 7 (Par 5, 475 yards): Another birdie hole. There is only danger on this hole if you deviate significantly from the fairway. The fairway slopes downhill so you can defintiely get some distance out of your tee shot. I hit another medium ball that headed toward the right of the fairway. It landed at about 205 out and rolled through the fairway and finished behind a tree about 165 out...I love this hole because it makes me feel so powerful for a moment. I struck the ball well but still had this stupid trajectory that often plagues my longer clubs. I'd take this drive every day.

Hole 9 (Par 5, 500 yards): Plain in simple...I went amateur hour and topped it. The ball managed to go about 175 yards which I didn't know was possible...looks like this club lacks forgiveness when topping the ball, whoops.

I'm only going to talk about two holes on the back 9 because I imploded. The bad results would have happened with any driver at any golf course so I'm not dragging the Adams into my pit of suck.

Hole 10 (Par 4, 330 yards): This plays up hill but is still a birdie opportunity. I hit a ball that stayed perfectly straight and landed right against the 100 yard marker. The one positive I took out of this round is that I was hitting the ball relatively straight with the driver.

Hole 18 (Par 4, 430 yards): By this time I was a racecar in the red. My blood had time to boil for roughly an hour and I was looking to hurt the ball. I took a big bag swing and came down upon a Callaway Hex Chrome with the wrath of God...and I hit the ball flush. It started towards the right side of the fairway and looked to have a straight ball flight but when I got to the ball it was in the middle of the fairway...it either had a left kick or some draw to it. Eitherway it was sexy and it knew it. I was hitting a 9 iron in and was sitting 20 yards short of a pond that I'm typically 40 yards short off. It was one of the few times I had the powerful moments with the Adams. It sounded greated, flew at that mid trajectory but the ball speed seemed to be much higher than normal. I had about 140 to the hole on the shortest hole on the golf course...I managed to bogey but whatever.

Random thoughts:

+ The further I choke down the better the results. If this stays in the bag it will most defintiely have to be cut down to about 44 or 44.5 inches.
+ That stock grip is still holding its own and has never made me squeeze to hard or fear losing control
+ The big slice/fade wasn't there

- I suck.
- I suck terribly.
- I need to get GolfTec lessons ASAP.
- The glare off of the silver crown was kind of destracting in the rare Ohio sun.
- My ball flight is terrible (see negatives 1 and 2 for reasoning)
- The Nike is still longer and a bit tighter in dispersion.
- I hit a ball like a knuckleball?

Overall the driving wasn't bad for having zero golf came at the moment. I wish I would have had GolfTec lessons before this testing because I feel as if I'm losing some of this club's potential in my golf swing. My next round out will be another face off versus the VRS and I again apologize for my recent absence from the testing and the site!

Sorry for being absent from this thread for a while.

Got a few chances to get out with the Fast 12 3w recently and i am pretty sure that the shaft is all wrong for me. The ball flight is just too high both of the deck and off the tee. I am not getting the same carry distance that I get out of my R11. I like the feel of this club throughout the swing, which surprises me because I dont normally like lighter clubs. I think they did a pretty good job of making it light, but also making you feel like you are in control of the club. This club just doesnt feel "hot" to me. You could definitely feel when you hit it well, but the ball doesnt feel like it jumps off the face like other clubs out there. I still have yet to get the "i crushed that" feeling.

I am hoping that i can get on a launch monitor soon with the Fast 12 and get some numbers against a few other 3woods.

Alright..I've played 9 holes the last two days and I'm working on a recap now. I played well both evenings and had some encouraging results with the Fast 12. I'll have some stuff posted up before I crash tonight.

Back