Adams Fast 12 Driver & FW Wood Forum Review

How is everyone finding the workability of the driver and FW? Reason i ask is, i my course pro have a go and he felt the driver was quite hard to work but he said it was down to not have as much a penetrating flight

Checking in with another update. Making progress with the FAST 12 on the range but still inconsistent when I pull it out in play. Used it from the tee four times last Thursday evening with only two of the resulting balls being playable afterwards.

Others have provided blow-by-blow reports of their rounds which I've found interesting, but if I did this for my round you all would just shake your heads. :-/ Let's just say that I'm battling a push and leave it there... but at least it's not a banana ball most of the time. The fault there is in my swing, not the club.

On the range I'm improving as noted before. Get the swing right and the ball on the sweet spot and away it goes. Today I deliberately eased up on effort to focus on a better swing plane and solid release and still sailed a couple of the "good ones" over the 200-yard marker. I have no problems with glare off the matte-silver head as others have noted despite a cloudless day. IMO it's light, swings easily and has good balance.

Now that the school year is winding down for my kids, I will have more practice and playing time.

Ken

Last edited:
I have really fallen in love with this driver again. I have a ton of confidence with it. It just swings easy for me. The long shaft no longer is a problem for me to get inside.

I have really fallen in love with this driver again. I have a ton of confidence with it. It just swings easy for me. The long shaft no longer is a problem for me to get inside.

Love to hear that. I'm anxious to give the driver a swing at Demo Day.

I should get some golf time in tomorrow so I'll post some more Fast 12 thoughts.

Was in Key West on a bachelor party recently and while there we played some golf. I used the Fast 12 three wood quite a bit. I like this club, I am just not "in love" with this club. That is pretty much the theme for me with it.

Solid contact feels good, just dont get that "crushed it" feel
Get good distance and accuracy, ball flight is just too high for me and costs me like 10-15 yards
Forgiveness is pretty good for a fairway wood, but hits high on the face go nowhere but straight up and hits on the toe just feel dead
The grip is one of the best stock grips offered
The shaft does pretty good job of being light, but still feeling in control
The velocity isnt too distracting, barely notice it once you start hitting
I think I have gotten used to the white clubheads, because the silver seems pretty bright to me in the Florida sun without sunglasses on

I was hitting the ball pretty good with the Fast 12. Off the tee i would say i was averaging about 225 yards, with about 220 of that being carry. Off the deck I would say I was averaging about 220 yards, with about 210 of that being carry. This is about 10-15 yards behind my current three wood. The biggest difference I could tell is the ball flight, with the Fast 12 going higher. When we were hitting into the wind, I was getting maybe 200 out of it.

I think that this club would be a GREAT club for someone who does not put a lot of backspin on their shots and wants a higher ball flight.

This three wood feels more like a hybrid than a driver to me. I have found that most of my best shots with it have come when I swing it more like a hybrid, and have found myself using it more like I do my hybrid than I do my current fairway wood.

*Sorry for the jumbled together thoughts, still recovering from the vacation*

Have used the 3 wood (stiff shaft) for three rounds and I think its a keeper. I like the feel of the club, it's pretty hot off the face, and I haven't had too much trouble making good contact with it or keeping the ball down. Makes a nice metallic smack on solid strikes. Stock grip is excellent.

I took the driver out for a medal last night and had some decent results with it but i just felt the consistency in the length was not there. I did manage to par the hardest hole in the course which i've never done so that was enough for me to chuck it in the bag for my next round tomorrow evening. I think i will keep playing it until my slice comes out which has surprised me that it's still scared to come out with this club. Bring on the par 4 9th!

First I have to apologize to THP, Adams and forum readers for being so late to chip in with a review. I have been on the DL with a back injury from an ambitious "honey do" list. I am not near full strength but have been able to get in a couple of rounds including on as a pro-am partner of Chella Choi at the Sybase Match Play Championship this week.

I have not had the strength to give a comparison to my other three wood but I can tell yo that this club is MUCH easier to get airborne from the fairway than my deep faced club and yet has a more penetrating flight from a tee. This does not make sense to me but those are my observations.

As someone expressed earlier, this club gives me the confidence of a hybrid from the airway. With an easy swing (the only kind I have at the moment) the ball gets up nicely and has a straight to slight draw shape. The deep faced club I had been using, in spite of a 15* face, was like hitting driver off the deck.

I have no idea of distance comparison to the old club since I have not been able to make a strong swing with the Fast 12 and can't make enough swings to compare head-to-head. As my back improves and I can get out more often I will provide more complete information.

Thank you THP and Adams for the chance to participate in this test.

Played 9 holes the other day, used the 3 wood off the tee on 4 of the holes. Two of them went high and straight, ended up about 200 yards out in the fairway. The result was one I would take but not preferred as that is about the same distance for my 3 or 4 iron. The third tee shot was a high fade, borderline slice. Swing felt like it should have produced a lot more slice than the result. I have seen a decent amount of forgiveness with this 3 wood when contact isn't in the center of the face. The last tee shot was a well struck shot that just kept climbing in the air and ended up about 225 yards dead straight down the center of the fairway.

Once again, I cannot seem to keep the ball down with this 3 wood. I am losing at least 10 yards because of the ball flight this club and my swing produce.

Got out for a little range session again and the one thing that stood out to me this time around was the Fast 12 looks give me much more confidence than the 910 as well as the Fast 12 almost feel giving me more confidence. But feel during the swing. It's weird, if you could combine the Fast 12 looks and back/downswing with the 910 impact and beyond it would be a perfect club in my opinion. I'm considering adding the fast 12 back into my regular bag as a 3 wood off the tee/4 wood type thing as the 910 can be lower lofted with the adjustments.

Obviously, my personal circumstances recently have prevented me from playing any golf. I don't expect to play at all in the next few days but I'm thinking that the golf course could be a therapeutic place for me in the near future. So, I'll hopefully have some updates son. It'll give me something to do, a way to keep my mind occupied. I've had a good time testing the Fast 12 and hope that I've done a solid enough job.

information here appreciated

I had a round this weekend and the Adams is slowly moving ahead of the Nike VRs. Unfortunately, that doesn't mean I've been seeing huge drives down the middle. My swing is currently stuck in Purgatory from Driver to Putter so it's difficult to "accurately" comment on the club because of my current incompetence. Despite my recent lack of success here's a recap of the 9 I played over the weekend.

Hole 1. (435, Par 5) - I have no idea why this hole is a par 5 but I'm assuming it's because the course caters to an older audience who may struggle to reach holes that are of a more traditional length to par. I tee it up and expect some crappy high slice like I've been seeing but toy surprise I rifle a mid-high ball perfectly straight down the middle of the fairway. I was in awe...how did this happen? I went from hitting crap to putting a long ball in the middle of the fairway? Yes! I think I just carried the Adams (250 yards) and it rolled out to a grand total of around 280-285 yards! Granted this place had rock hard fairways that border on concrete I still, very rarely, see anything close to 250 carry. I ended up with birdie after an 8 iron put me 15 feet away and I two putted.

Hole 3. (420 yard, Par 4) - I hate this hole. They put a huge tree smack in the middle of the fairway (about 100 yards out) and my ball flight isn't high enough to clear it with the Nike. I decided I'd get gutsy and challenge the tree. I won. I hit a ball, high on the face, that went dead straight it didn't have that awe-inspiring distance from the first ball. I'm not sure what I did with the swing but the ball came off feeling the face was hard and didn't offer any really explosion which didn't kill performance but didn't have that feeling I prefer. The ball left me with about 170 out and offered little roll even with my concrete fairways. I hit a 7 iron in and two putted for par.

Hole 7. (335 yard, par 4) - I'm feeling good. Shooting well and feeling like my game is under control when the golf Gods gave me a reality check. I took a divot with my driver...I have no idea how but I hit a super pop up that traveled around 160 yards. Do you know that nervous feeling when hitting a terrible shot that makes you question your game? I felt that. I managed to bogey the hole but I was pretty nervous teeing the ball up again.

Hole 9. (380 yard, par 4) - Another straight forward par 4. I feed it up a little lower and hit a big fade that started in the middle of the fairway and ended in another fairway. The ball flight was better this time around and I'm pretty sure I sawed of my finish (and came across it) which led to the crappy right action on the drive. This one still didn't have that nice impact feeling but it was a bit towards the heel of the club.

Positives -
+ the club doesn't penalize me to much on off center hits but it doesn't have that amazing forgiveness of some other drivers.
+ I saw some distance when hitting flush that is quite a bit longer than I'm used to...probably 15 yards further on carry.
+ provides me with a higher ball flight which I sorely lack.

Negatives-
- its still too long for someone who is 5'6"
- it doesn't provide me with that explosion off the face that I prefer (although distance was there)
- it will offer too high a ball flight for many players.
- still not a fan off how the sole is designed.

On a final note, my buddy hit this and LOVED it. He was slicing it like crazy but apparently he felt/saw something that makes him think it's significantly better than his driver and he's looking into getting one.

Tap before talk.

Positives -
+ the club doesn't penalize me to much on off center hits but it doesn't have that amazing forgiveness of some other drivers.

- it doesn't provide me with that explosion off the face that I prefer (although distance was there)

I have to agree with your points here, i feel that it is one of the most forgiving drivers that I've come across but I still need to harp on about no excitement off the face. I played with it on a medal on Sunday and I hit a 92, i was a shambles from tee to green but because it's not my regular club after a while i was loosing all confidence at address. I then played yesterday with the 910 and hit a 79 so that will be in the bag for the immediate future.

I have to agree with your points here, i feel that it is one of the most forgiving drivers that I've come across but I still need to harp on about no excitement off the face. I played with it on a medal on Sunday and I hit a 92, i was a shambles from tee to green but because it's not my regular club after a while i was loosing all confidence at address. I then played yesterday with the 910 and hit a 79 so that will be in the bag for the immediate future.

I don't feel confident over it at address because it isn't aesthetically pleasing to me but I can't deny the results. I hope you take it to the range and try to work things out w/ the Adams for testing purposes.

Tap before talk.

Positives -
+ I saw some distance when hitting flush that is quite a bit longer than I'm used to...probably 15 yards further on carry.
+ provides me with a higher ball flight which I sorely lack.

Negatives-
- its still too long for someone who is 5'6"

the bolded items apply to the 3 wood for me

While my record with the big stick on the tee is frustrating, I promised myself I would keep pulling the FAST 12 out today as much as I could and report on how it went.

Ball: Bridgestone E6 all the way.

Hole #1 - About 180 yards in a straight line but out to the right. Oh, well. Wound up about 10 yards off the fairway under a tree. Ugh.

Hole #3 - Dogleg right par 3 with a stream on the right and a big fairway bunker and stand of tall trees on the inside of the dogleg. Basically, if you're even a little bit right on any shot on this hole then you're dead. I hate this hole. Pulled the FAST 12, and sent one sailing into the stream. Managed to recover the ball at least. I think I've lost more balls on this hole more than on all the others put together.

Hole #4 - Par 5, large area to the right off the tee to catch slicers and that's where I wound up. That particular swing was a mess. Ouch. I did recover fairly well and scraped out a long-putt opportunity for par which I missed.

Hole #5 - Shortish and dead straight par 4. I left the FAST 12 in the bag after the previous embarrassing banana ball and used the FW for this one. Landed safely in the fairway. Second shot was short of the green though. Bogey.

Hole #6 - Par 4. Good swing, straight flight, landed just off the fairway to the right about 180 yards away. Put the next one on the green with a 4 hybrid and 2-putted for a very satisfying par.

Hole #8 - Par 4 - Similar to #6, this one was also in a straight line but still to the right. Medium-high trajectory. Also landed just off the fairway. Parred this one too.

Hole #9 - Par 5 - Best tee shot of the day. I factored the push into the swing and aimed at a big tree that sits on the left of the fairway. Tried to relax and focus on a smooth swing rather than trying to power it. This time, instead of going to the right, I nailed it right over the tree and wound up just off the fairway to the left. Very satisfying tee shot.

If I can figure out why I keep sending it to the right I think this will be a killer club for me. I've lowered my swing plane in the last couple of weeks (across the board, not just for the driver) and am trying to avoid opening the face at the top of the backswing. This is definitely helping but I need to keep working on it. A lot.

Just another (overdue) $.02 from me.

Ken

Played 18 yesterday. Wasnt a great day on the course with my swing but got to use the fast 12 3w a bit.

Used it off the tee once, caught it high on the face and popped it up. I think it may have been teed up too high. Ball went about 180 yards and flew sky high. It was a combination of hitting it a little fat and teeing it a little too high, probably would have gotten the same result with any 3w.

Had to use it on 2 par 4s after horrible tee shots. First one felt like a pretty good swing, but just pushed it right. Shot started right and just kept going and ended up in the woods. Second one I was able to hit a punch fade below and around some trees. I was not sure I was going to be able to keep the ball low enough with this 3w but I thought it was a good shot to test out the club. Played it back in the stance and choked down on the club a bit, was able to keep it below the trees and advanced it about 175 yards to have a short wedge into the green.

Used it on 2 par 5s to try and reach the green in two. First one I had about 215 to carry a creek and about 230 to the hole. Put a good swing on it and thought I got all of it, but it hit the edge of the creek and fell back into it, If it was 215 to carry, I must have hit the ball 214. It was very disappointing because I thought I hit it very well and with my other 3 wood I have no problem carrying 215. There was a group waiting behind us, so I didnt drop another one and try out my other 3 wood. Second one I about 250 to the hole with a little bit of wind at the back. The pin was in the back and the front of the green was only about 220. Again I put a decent swing on it but missed a little right, ended up in a bunker in the front right portion of the green. Group behind us hadnt made it to the tee box yet, so I dropped another one with my current 3 wood. Ended up pin high about 15 yards right of the green.

The feel off the face of the Fast 12 doesnt give me a good idea of whether I got all of it or not. I cant really feel a difference between the shot that goes 200 and the one that goes 230.
The Fast 12 is really easy to hit off the deck.
The shaft (and possibly the club) is not right for me. I am hitting the ball too high and losing distance.

Should be able to get on a LM tomorrow and compare numbers with the Fast 12 to some other 3 woods numbers.

So, I was out on the driving range on Thursday and was fiddling with ball position. As many of you know from past reviews, I am an extremely low ball hitter. I was on a launch monitor a while back with a driver many of you hit too high (Supertri 10.5 head) and was achieving launch angles of under 10*. Therefore my carry would be 200 yards but it would say the ball rolled 30-40 yards because my ball speed was healthy. The Fast12 had helped me for a while but I started hitting these low straight balls on the range. I know (well...80% sure) that I must be hitting down with my driver, delofting the face to the point of no return and I also know I struggle to get through the ball with my swing. I decided I'd put the ball up past my front foot so that my swing will have to be on the up and I'll be able to get my weight transferred through the swing. Well, my swing felt exponentially faster, but more importantly, the loft went from low ball to high. It had some left to right on it but I was only looking at ball flight not ball direction. I also was carrying the ball to where my total yardage typically is. I was landing in the 230-250 range (so says the range) and getting about 10 yards of roll out. This little adjustment w/ the Fast12 made my testing experience even more pleasant. Hopefully I can take this out on the course tomorrow morning and get some encouraging results.

I definitely feel that this line can help low ball hitters achieve more distance via the launch angle of their drives. I’d say it does similar things that the Cleveland Black does (with less forgiveness) at $100 cheaper. It should definitely be in the conversation if you’re looking for something to raise your ball flight.

I'd just like to point out that there another thread going called "FAST 12 chopped" where folks are discussing whether the FAST 12 driver would perform better if it was shortened, as a few folks have suggested here too.

I did a range session this morning where I deliberately tested this, choking down about an inch to an inch and a half every time and got noticeably better results.

Ken

I'd just like to point out that there another thread going called "FAST 12 chopped" where folks are discussing whether the FAST 12 driver would perform better if it was shortened, as a few folks have suggested here too.

I did a range session this morning where I deliberately tested this, choking down about an inch to an inch and a half every time and got noticeably better results.

Ken

Here's the direct link to that thread for those who are lazy or dont know how to search easily quite yet

How are you guys measuring them? Just using a tape measure angled up the shaft as the club sits at address?

**Disclaimer: Wasnt wearing golf shoes or a golf glove, but all clubs were hit under same conditions.**

Hit six 3 woods on a simulator today, about 10 shots with each and kept the best 5. All clubs were stock, stiff flex. All shots were hit directly off the mat. Below are the results.

Fast12TestingAverage.jpg

Fast12TestingBest.jpg

Green star is obviously the leader in each category. Didnt put one on launch angle or back spin bc I wasnt quite sure how to pick a leader for them.

General notes from session:
-Liked the feel off the face of Club 2 and Club 4 the best
-Liked the shaft on Club 5 the best
-Club 1 and the Fast 12 didnt really give a lot of feedback on whether shot was well struck or not
-Shot shape was almost the same with every club (fade)

Club 1-5 are defined in the spoiler.
Spoiler
Club 1 - Cobra Amp
Club 2 - Ping I20
Club 3 - TaylorMade R11S
Club 4 - TaylorMade RBZ
Club 5 - Adams Super XTD

Last edited:
These were all 3W's?

Back