Adams Fast 12 Driver & FW Wood Forum Review

blue_nine.jpg

Adams Fast 12 3W Testing
Lindenwood Golf Club
4-25-2012

Alright, so I actually WALKED nine holes the past two evenings and it was really nice. I don't typically walk at all but I enjoyed it and will definitely do it more often in the future. I played yesterday evening and managed to get nine holes in at a whopping 1:21. Really quick. The blue nine at Lindenwood isn't particularly long but it's an EXCELLENT layout and requires some precision shots. I ended up shooting a 41 yesterday and I was really happy with that - I battled the darkness and won. It was 8:23 PM when I finished. Fortunately, it was a really clear, beautiful evening. I didn't post a double bogey - I went 5 (bogey), 4 (par), 3 (par), 5 (bogey), 6 (bogey), 4 (par), 5 (bogey), 3 (par), and 6 (bogey). The Fast 12 received a decent workout and I had some luck with it.

Hole #2:
This short par 4 is just a no-brainer 3W off of the tee. It's a tight, uphill 270 yard tee shot that doglegs to the right. It's a fun little hole and blasting a 3W into the fairway will leave you in excellent shape. And I did exactly that. I hit a nice mid-draw 3W to the center of the fairway and left myself with 45 yards. I can honestly say that the ball pretty much went exactly where I wanted it to go - I ended up pulling my second shot just a bit and two-putted for a par.

Hole #5:
This might be the prettiest hole on the blue nine - it's a 560 yard par 5 that can be an birdie hole if it's played well. I made a mess of it but it had nothing to do with the Fast 12, haha. The hole doglegs big time to the right but you can cut the corner with your drive and leave yourself with just over 200 yards to the green. I tried to cut the corner but pulled it - my drive still ended up in the fairway but I was 300+ yards away. So, Fast 12 time. I definitely did not hit it flush this time and it hooked a bit on me - fortunately, it still caught the fairway and ran out a good bit. It just was a bad swing by me and I felt it right away. I was pleased with the end result of my miss though. I was left with right around 120 yards to the green - still in good shape - but I made a mess of it from there, haha. Pulled my third shot to the left of the green and was left with an awful angle on my fourth. Didn't have much green to work with. Ended up carding a bogey.

Hole #6:
Another hole that rewards accuracy more than distance - I went with the Fast 12 off of the tee on this 305 yard par 4. I just really feel comfortable using the Fast 12 off of the tee and it usually rewards me - I striped one down the left side of the fairway and was left with just around 75 yards. It was a nice mid ball flight that drew back just a bit. Just the type of shot shape I see with this club when I'm hitting it well. And this was another good one. I'm hit or miss with the Fast 12 off of the deck but I honestly feel like it's MONEY off of the tee. I ended up hitting the green with my second shot and then two putted for another par.

---

Alright, so those were my results yesterday evening with the Fast 12 - big time success off of the tee, mediocre results from the deck. That's been a bit consistent with what I've typically seen because I'm still just struggling to hit my woods and long irons at the moment. It's a complete hit or miss thing for me right now.

gold_nine.jpg

Lindenwood Golf Club
4-26-2012

So, I was right back at it this evening and walked another nine holes - the conditions were a bit more harsh. It was extremely windy, cloudy, chilly, and spitting rain at times. But it was still not too bad. Weather would clear up and then the harsh stuff would emerge again - the rain was never more than a drizzle though so I was willing to go at it. I felt really encouraged from my round yesterday and wanted to get back at it again. The gold nine at Lindenwood is more difficult than the blue - a couple holes here can be really difficult (especially in this weather). I ended up posting a 4 (par), 7 (double bogey), 4 (par), 4 (bogey), 4 (par), 5 (bogey), 5 (bogey), 5 (par), 3 (par) for a 41. Just another really encouraging nine holes for me this evening in some ugly conditions. I just feel like I had it all going.

Hole #2:
Alright, so this was a 495 yard par 5 from an elevated tee box. My tee shot was STRAIGHT into the wind. I hit it well but it just died on me and I was left with a ton to the hole. I just barely made it beyond the fairway. I pulled out the Fast 12 and was left with a ton. I gave it a good poke but, likewise, it died in the wind as well. Just died. It did go a little higher than I would've liked in this situation (and actually a little higher than I typically hit it) but it was off of a bit of an uphill position. And I was still left with a solid 160 to the green. I hit what I thought would be a good third shot but I caught a greenside bunker. And I flubbed my bunker shot. Ended up scrambling just to save a double bogey, my only real blemish this round.

Hole #7:
This is a 350 yard par 4 from a slightly elevated tee box - tons of room to the right, danger to the left. I went with the Fast 12 on this hole from the tee as it's another that definitely rewards accuracy. Like I said, I just feel comfortable that I'll place my tee shot where I hope when I use the Fast 12. The wind was behind me and I caught it really well - again, it was a nice mid draw that left my with 110 to the green. I cranked it but that was definitely a wind assisted shot. It ended up just in the left rough. I ended up plunking my second shot in a greenside bunker and scrambled for a bogey. Another good tee shot with the 3W though.

Hole #8:
445 yard par 5, very uphill! It's a tough tee shot but if you place it well then you should be in good shape. I hit an absolute BLAST of a drive - I was left with just under 200 yards to the green and was sitting in the center of the fairway. That drive was definitely the best hit of the day for me (it was with my driver - not the Fast 12). The second shot was, as I said, just under 200 yards - it was uphill and into a slight wind. I felt like I could make it on in two so I decided to go for it. Pulled out the 3W. I hit a little low screamer that ran just short of the green. It wasn't the greatest shot in the world but it ran to a good position. Definitely not exactly what I was looking for though. Still, I chipped up, missed my birdie putt, and carded a par. Wasn't my greatest strike with the Fast 12 but it still left me in a good enough spot.

---

Alright, so that basically sums up my last two evenings. It was really nice to get out and play some golf again. I'm striking the ball really well and it's showing - I'm not usually this good, haha. I've just been driving the ball with some consistent success and that's typically my biggest weakness.

I'm still not connecting consistently with my woods from the deck and that's something that I need to work on. I didn't hurt myself off of the deck with the Fast 12 but I can't say I hit any shots that wowed me either. However, it continues to be a money club off of the tee for me.

I got a hand me down 910F from my father in law and it has now given the Fast 12 a run for it's money. I'm hoping to get a good range session in with both of them this weekend, but after hitting them side by side during my round yesterday I would have to say the 910F won out in almost every category, but I know beginner's luck with a new club is huge with me at least.

The 910 was longer by about 30 yards, I was able to almsot get to every par 5 in two, with the Fast 12 I was able to get it down there but not really even have a go at the green.

The 910 felt better on contact and during the swing, the Fast 12 has a whipper shaft which I like at times.

The 910 looks much more classic at address and is certainly smaller than the Fast 12, I do still like the silver finish though. And without the speed slot on the 910 I can say that it's not distracting at all on the Fast 12.

The last thing I'll say is that the 910 almost seems more forgiving than the Fast 12, which is quite weird, I expected it to be much more a player's club, which I am not, but it seemed to work for me.

Until I get to hit them side by side on the range I'll keep my final decision in check, but at least for now the 910 may find it's way into my regular bag.

Is anyone having problems with the marks left from tee's on the bottom of their club? i can not move the white marks for love no money. I also managed to hit the 3 wood today as i was looking to replace the RBZ that has rusted on me, i eventually went with the R11S which i felt was longer but the 3 wood was so easy to get up but the problem it just went up up up.

Is anyone having problems with the marks left from tee's on the bottom of their club? i can not move the white marks for love no money. I also managed to hit the 3 wood today as i was looking to replace the RBZ that has rusted on me, i eventually went with the R11S which i felt was longer but the 3 wood was so easy to get up but the problem it just went up up up.

the bottom of my 3 wood is marking up pretty easily too

I haven't had issues with getting the marks off. I'm used to the marks in general, my Supertri had the same marks.

I haven't had any trouble with marks either - just a bit of wear on the bottom but it's nothing bad.

Adams Fast 12 Driver

Adams Fast 12 Driver

Adams Fast 12 Driver 9.5* stock stiff
Date:
April 28 2012
Club Tested: Adams Fast 12 driver 9.5*
Previous Club: Ping G20 9.5*
Conditions: 59* cloudy little wind
Ball Used: Nike 20Xi and Bridgestone B330RX

Lately Ive been really struggling at the range and with my driver in general. Im back to the high short rights again and I dont think coming in here and stating something negative like that does this club any justice. Over the last two weeks Ive had the Fast 12 driver both on the course and the range. Whats strange is Ive struggled mightily on the range hitting this club anywhere close to straight. I just cant seem to keep my swing connected enough to hit it straight. But this is swing issue Ive been working on and will get corrected.

Now on the course Ive seen a much straighter ball flight and some decent distance too. Yesterday I hit the Fast 12 four times on the course. Looking at my card only one hit the fairway but none resulted in penalty shots which is good on this course. I came away with 2 bogies and 2 pars for those holes. What I struggled with yesterday was distance and that was across all my clubs not just the driver. So yesterday I didnt really come away with any kind of break throughs or conclusions one way or the other.

Today I took the Fast 12 with me for a Golf Galaxy lesson. Im always curious to see what the Pro says about a club I bring in and if its positive or negative. In discussing what was going on in my swing and what driver I was hitting he actually said that the shaft in the Fast 12 would probably be good for me at this point. I thought that was interesting but I didnt ask him to elaborate on it. I fully expect to see really good drives out of this club as I get the swing back on track as Ive already seen them before. I still dont think its the most forgiving club across the face but like I said before, swing good see a good shot.

Kmac that's such a true statement, swing good/see a good shot.

Adams Fast12 Driver Testing
10.5 degree loft stiff flex Pro Launch Shaft
Dates: April 26, 27, 28
Weather: Temps in upper 50s and mid 60s. One real windy day
Tester: Close personal friend (15 hdcp)

I asked a friend of mine if he'd like to help me out with some testing and also have a little fun checking out the new Fast12 driver. He agreed and I brought the club along for our weekend golf trip and he immediately took his driver out, left it at home and fully committed to the Fast12 for the weekend. We play a team match play competition so I thought this was a pretty big decision and told him if he wasn't comfortable doing it I'd understand. He was all for shelving his previous driver (Cleveland Launcher from a few years ago). Each day we had plenty of driving range opportunity so he had a chance to get some swings in and he was ready.

I didn't play with him the entire time but the one round I did play I witnessed him firsthand as we were partners. He was impressed, based on how he usually hits compared to myself and the others he felt that he was getting close to 10 yards more distance on average. He loved the feel and trajectory as well. He plays a 10.5 degree driver already and he felt that the trajectory was similar to what he gets from his Launcher. I tried not to fill him with what I was finding with the driver before he used it so that he could come up with his own thoughts without looking for a certain characteristic.

He hits his driver pretty straight for the most part, he typically sees a little draw so sometimes a decent hook and things we pretty similar for him there. He didn't hit any real big hooks when I was with him but in the 3rd round with the title on the line he did say he over hooked a couple OB, I watched one as it was on the first tee. I think that was probably more nerves than anything and he didn't disagree.

We finished up yesterday and drove home this morning, when we got to his place he wasn't overly excited to leave the Fast12 with me but he did. I told him I'd be happy to let him use it again if/when we play together again. He has his eye on the Fast12 3 wood already and after using the driver all weekend I think we'll see him put both a new Fast12 driver and a 3 wood in his bag this year.

Bump!

How's everyone doing with their Fast12 this week? Seems quiet.

My buddy who used my driver already pulled the trigger on the Fast12 3 wood. He needed a 3 wood much worse than a driver but it sounds like it won't be long for the driver to be swapped out as well.

Bump!

My buddy who used my driver already pulled the trigger on the Fast12 3 wood. He needed a 3 wood much worse than a driver but it sounds like it won't be long for the driver to be swapped out as well.

Going out this evening for 9! I'll be sure to give the Fast 12 a nice test.

Bump!

Im trying to get some new swing stuff ingrained before hitting driver again too soon. But I'll be playing it for sure this weekend if not later this week.

Going out this evening for 9! I'll be sure to give the Fast 12 a nice test.

I think your updates have been killer SP. Well done dude.

IMG_0232-1.jpg

Adams Fast 12 3W Testing
Indian Run Golf Club, Avella, PA
5/1/2012

Well, I made it out with a buddy with whom I used to coach football this evening (we usually play golf every Tuesday during the summers). It's me and a bunch of old farts so I try to bring some youth into the group, haha. Seriously though - they're a blast to play a round of golf with and I always look forward to it. I'm 22, my buddy is in his late 50's and the rest of the group is right around there as well. I ended up carding a 42 over nine holes - not a bad performance. The course isn't very long but they do have some REALLY funky greens. It's a fun little track in the middle of absolutely nowhere. The giant, oversized scorecard above will show that I started off rough but really turned it on at the end.

I had a nice afternoon with the Fast 12. I, again, used it pretty much just as I found it necessary. I'd consider it a permanent fixture in my bag at this point so I really just try to use it in logical spots (and, of course, I think that provides the best testing feedback as well).

My driver has been so up and down lately. I was hitting it well the last time out but it just wasn't there tonight. Really cost me a few strokes and left me scrambling. I honestly should've went with the Fast 12 more off of the tee this evening but my darn stubborn self kept thinking I could get the driver going. Never really happened. I went with the Fast 12 once off of the tee - on #11 - and it performed.

Hole #11:
So, we'll start with Hole #11. Hardest hole on the course. It really is a tough one. It's a dogleg left and is just a really tight tee shot. So, it seemed like a nice time to pull out the Fast 12. It's generally accurate off of the tee for me and it didn't disappoint. I hit a nice little mid draw into this 372 yard par 4 and left myself with just under 160. So, I hit it around 215 yards and right in the center of the fairway. Worked for me! It's just such a smooth club off of the tee and I feel really in control with it. I have to be careful not to tee it up too much or it will go sky high on me but I think I've got it pretty dialed in. Really dumb to only use it off of the tee on this hole. My second shot came up just short of the green. I chipped it past the hole and ended up two-putting for a bogey. But the Fast 12 delivered.

Hole #14:
Oh, this is such an easy darn hole. It's a joke that I didn't at least get a par. But guess what? I hit another high pop fly of a drive. Seriously, I could've run under this one and caught it. Alright, so it wasn't really that bad but I guarantee you that the Fast 12 would've left me in a better spot. The driver just wasn't there. Anyway, this measly 475 yard par 5 is actually an interesting hole. The Fast 12 actually bailed me out after my craptastic drive. I hit it well from the deck. I was left with under 100 yards into the green. I'm guessing it was also right around 210 yards or so. My swing felt more comfortable today with this thing from the turf - I generally struggle a bit with it but I might just be figuring it out a little. I hope so, at least (I tagged a nice 5W today with the Fybrid as well). So, yeah, 100 yards from the green. I tried to just hit a little half swing gap wedge but caught it a little too flush and left myself with a longgg birdie putt. And I three putted. Yuck.

Hole #15:
I popped my drive up. Again. What happens if I'm not fooled once or twice but about 7 times instead? This is another easy par 5 - it measures out at only 448 yards but it's VERY uphill. It's actually more difficult than the last hole. So, after another disaster of a drive I was left with a long ways to go. Pulled out the Fast 12 again and, again, I was left with about 60 yards to the hole. I hit it really well. I honestly can't say that any of my swings with the Fast 12 were unproductive this evening. It just felt smooth. It felt a whole lot more smooth than my driver. I thought I hit a great pitch with my third shot but it was shorter than it needed to be - rolled off of the green. However, I did hit a nice chip with my fourth shot and was left with a tap in for par. That started my little rally for the evening.

---

Biggest lesson I learned? I might actually be a good golfer if I could figure out how to hit a darn driver these days. I used to be fine with it. I thought I had it figured out but tonight was another setback. Oh well, that's what makes the game so interesting, right? On a bright note, the Fast 12 3W bailed me out a few times tonight and I probably would've posted a sub-40 score if I went with it off of the tee more often. I know the course we played tonight is short but it really can be tricky - the greens are very fast and they feature all kinds of undulations. So, I'm happy with my 42.

I was very encouraged that I felt more comfortable with this 3W off of the deck. Like I said, I hit a nice shot with the Fybrid as well tonight so I think something might be starting to click with the swing. I'm making better contact with it and not hooking it nearly as often. I haven't had a ton of trouble getting the ball up in the air (as I think I'm one of the few for whom this shaft actually may be an excellent fit). So, that's definitely another nice positive moving forward.

As always, I'll be happy to pay attention to anything specific in the future. Like I said, the Fast 12 is in the bag. I like it. It's a nice steady club for me and I think I'm getting better with it. And, as always, thank you so much to THP and Adams for this opportunity. I'm having a lot of fun with it.

And thank you for the kind words earlier! Much appreciated.

(and I do apologize for the jumbo scorecard, haha)

Great thorough update SP, sounds to me like you should start teeing off with your Fast12 3 wood dude. Even if you're not as long as your driver (if hit well) I'll bet you're longer with it than a pop fly driver. Pretty good score despite driver woes though man, keep it up!

Another solid update SP. I agree with Puttin43W's maybe you should hit that Adams off the tee more. Ive started leaning on my 3W a whole lot more lately and it pays because Im in the short grass instead of short or OB.

I agree with Jake, sometimes a reliable 3wood can completely change a round when one has driver woes. Solid write up SP! Again! You're doing a great job man.

I agree with Jake, sometimes a reliable 3wood can completely change a round when one has driver woes. Solid write up SP! Again! You're doing a great job man.

I love a good 3 wood

I've been reading this thread a bit here and there. I'm not sure exactly what to think of this FW. Awesome reviews though. I want to hit this one. I feel like it could be totally awesome. I need a good 3 wood.

Thanks, friends. I agree - I really do need to go with the 3W off of the tee more while I fix my driving woes. I really feel like if I can get both my driver and woods/hybrids dialed in by the Outing that I'll be able to put up a respectable performance. I really think I would've shot a 38 or 39 last night if I went with it more.

Played 9 last night, used the Fast 12 3 wood 5 times. All 5 times I hit one shot with the Fast 12 and one shot with the R11.

Shot 1 – Par 5, 2nd shot, 247 to the front of the green, in the rough
Fast 12 – Put a pretty good swing on the Fast 12 and hit a high cut that came up about 20-30 yards short of the green. Contact felt pretty good, club got through the rough pretty easily. The rough wasn’t too deep, ball sitting up a bit. Fast 12 felt an awful lot like a hybrid on this shot. Ball flight was higher than I would have liked but ball did not balloon.
R11 – Put another pretty good swing on it and hit a piercing straight shot that came up about 5 yards short of the green. This was probably one of the best shots I hit yesterday. Ball felt like it came off the face hotter on this shot and had a lower more boring trajectory.

Shot 2 – Par 4, tee shot
R11 – Hit it a little high on the face and out towards the toe. Result was a high draw that traveled about 205 yards and missed the fairway left.
Fast 12 –Thought I hit it pretty good but must have been high on the face because the ball went really high. The result was a high launching shot that went straight down the middle of fairway, traveled about 215 yards. I teed the ball up about the same height as I normally do my R11 and thought I made pretty solid contact. Nothing I could feel made me think it was a bad shot, but looking at the face it looked contact was up near the top edge.

Shot 3 – Par 4, tee shot
Fast 12 – Teed this one lower (similar to an iron on a par 3) and hit probably the best shot I have hit with this club yet. This one had a lower more piercing trajectory than the first 2 shots, a slight fade, traveled about 230-235 yards. Everything about this shot felt good, but not great. Something about this club just doesn’t get the juices flowing when you hit one good. I did not have the feeling like I had just smashed a tee shot, twirl the club, pick up the tee, and walk away. Now don’t get me wrong, nothing felt bad and there wasn’t anything I didn’t like, just didn’t get that rush when you know you crushed one.
R11 – After hitting a great Fast 12, I got too quick and really tried to lay into one. Hit a snap hook and almost lost the ball.

Shot 4 – Par 5, 2nd shot, 290 to the center of the green, in the fairway
R11 – Hit a pretty good shot, a baby cut that left me with 60 yards to the center.
Fast 12 – Hit another pretty shot, also a baby cut. But this shot was quite a bit higher than the R11 was and left me 75 yards to the center. Hit the exact shot I was trying to play but the higher flight cost me yardage. I really like hitting this club off the deck in the fairway. It feels more like a hybrid than a wood to me. If you struggle to get the ball in the air with a fairway wood, try this club.

Shot 5 – Par 4, tee shot, into the wind
R11 – Hit this one a little fat, traveled about 200 yards down the left side of the fairway.
Fast 12 – Put a good swing on this one, caught it just a tad high on the face. This shot launched quite a bit higher than the previous shots and just kept going up, the wind really made this shot balloon. Just looking at the flight, it looked like I hit a 5 iron off the tee and not a 3 wood. It was a pretty straight shot, found the center of the fairway, but only traveled about 185 yards. I don’t think I could count on this club into a headwind. This is not the first time I have had this happen with the Fast 12 and certainly wont be the last.

I am curious to try this club with a different shaft. I wonder if this head could work with a low launching shaft or if there is just too much “help” in the head.

I still think the 3w is better than the driver, my driver issues aside. like I said in my review, the 3w isn't the longest and may launch a tad high but man is it consistent and straight for the most part. If it was more forgiving it'd be really really good.

I've been reading this thread a bit here and there. I'm not sure exactly what to think of this FW. Awesome reviews though. I want to hit this one. I feel like it could be totally awesome. I need a good 3 wood.

Great feedback Marshall, I liked the comparisons between the Fast12 and the R11. From what I read it sounds like you'd really have to be able to trust that you can hit a low stinger to really get a lot out of it on a shot into any kind of a decent wind. Still center of the fairway is definitely good.

Great feedback Marshall, I liked the comparisons between the Fast12 and the R11. From what I read it sounds like you'd really have to be able to trust that you can hit a low stinger to really get a lot out of it on a shot into any kind of a decent wind. Still center of the fairway is definitely good.

Yea I'll take middle of the fairway all day but I am not ok with losing 30+ yards. I don't think I personally can hit the ball low enough to use this club into the wind.

Well I finally got out to the range to compare the Fast 12 3 wood and the 910F I was given by my father in law, first round out with the 910F as great, second not so much, so I was curious how they would be side by side on the range. (Sorry no pics, forgot my phone, but I'm going to bring the clubs home tomorrow night and get some comparisons then.) Also I don't know if it's a huge difference for me at least, but the Fast 12 is 15* and the 910F is 13.5* but set to A4 which takes it to 15*. So the adjusted loft is the same and for me they seem the same.

Distance/Accuracy
Fast 12: I think the Fast 12 was about 10 yards or so shorter, but I would say it's distance was more consistent, that might be from the fact that I've hit it more so I'm used to it, but the dispersion patter was certainly closer.
910F: The 910 was longer, but I'm still getting used to dialing it in, I was all over the place with it, but my normal miss with it is a pull, vs. the Fast 12 which is a push/slice.

Feel
Fast 12: This is where I haven't been able to get used to the Fast 12, I don't know where I've hit it on the face, but I do know if it's good or bad.
910F: With the 910 I can tell where it is more, but they all feel good to me so far, it doesn't ever just feel like, holy cow that was a bad one. I think maybe it has to do with the shaft, it's a bit more firm and less whippy.

Look
Fast 12: The Fast 12 looks way better at address, I might be in the minority, but I enjoy the silver finish, it also has a matte look to it which I prefer as well. The slot isn't as distracting for me which is nice.
910F: The 910 has the classic look, but it also has the distracting aiming mark, I don't know why that is such a big deal for me lately, but it's very distracting when looking down at the club. The black finish has a shine that is also a bit distracting in the sun.

Performance
Fast 12: I think the Fast 12 performs when hit well, but the misses are almost dead ducks.
910F: The 910 seems to give me good distance on heel/toe/middle shots, it might be offline but it still seems to go as far.

Overall
Fast 12: Overall the Fast 12 is an excellent club, especially off the tee. It performs very well when hit good and the finish and function is very nice.
910F: For me the 910 has performed better for me overall, but I can't really hit it off the tee, the face/head is small enough it works well off the turf, but off the tee it's kind of hit or miss.

Icey, I love the finish. I think it looks great - glad to see you share the same thought. And I'm with you on the velocity slot as well - it's not at all a distraction.

Back