Adams Idea Black CB3, with Graphite Shafts - Opinions?

GPNgolf

Reaction score
Handicap
All,

Have an opportunity to pick up a set of Adams Idea CB3 for a good deal. These have the stock Matrix Ozik Program 8.1 Graphite shafts (I have a choice of reg of stiff flex), and that is where my question lies. Does anyone have any experience with these irons, and particularly these shafts? I've usually played steel shafts, and in the past played the Ping AWT reg, Dynamic Gold R300's, and now have a set of Cally RazrX blacks with Uniflex shafts. Used to game a set of Cally RazrX's with Cally Reg Graphite as well. All of them are alike, but also a little different, and the Cally Graphite shafts seemed a little less firm, especially when compared to Uniflex.

I really want to get back to Graphite as it's better on my elbows and wrists, and these clubs look like they would fit the bill; just don't know how these shafts relate to what I'm used to. Don't have the opportunity to get fitted, this is private (known) seller, and just looking for opinions.

Thanks,

Gary

Buy them. Just buy them. That's a great set if irons that offer quite a bit of forgiveness and a fantastic shaft.

Buy with confidence! The programs play pretty true to flex.

Buy them. Just buy them. That's a great set if irons that offer quite a bit of forgiveness and a fantastic shaft.

Buy with confidence! The programs play pretty true to flex.

I like the way you think. no effin around.

Bushes aren't for beating buddy. I'm a firm believer in those shafts, been eyeing a set myself.

Thanks for opinions; I think I'll be pulling the trigger! I'll let you know how they feel after I hit them (which may be awhile here in Wisconsin)

All,

Have an opportunity to pick up a set of Adams Idea CB3 for a good deal. These have the stock Matrix Ozik Program 8.1 Graphite shafts (I have a choice of reg of stiff flex), and that is where my question lies. Does anyone have any experience with these irons, and particularly these shafts? I've usually played steel shafts, and in the past played the Ping AWT reg, Dynamic Gold R300's, and now have a set of Cally RazrX blacks with Uniflex shafts. Used to game a set of Cally RazrX's with Cally Reg Graphite as well. All of them are alike, but also a little different, and the Cally Graphite shafts seemed a little less firm, especially when compared to Uniflex.

GP - I have these irons, but in the KBS Steel. I too suffer from bouts

I really want to get back to Graphite as it's better on my elbows and wrists, and these clubs look like they would fit the bill; just don't know how these shafts relate to what I'm used to. Don't have the opportunity to get fitted, this is private (known) seller, and just looking for opinions.

Thanks,

Gary

I play these irons, but in the KBS steel shafts - they are great irons! However, I too suffer from elbow tendonitis, and it started happening after I went from my Adam A4's in graphite to the steel shafts in the CB3's. I am seriously considering getting these re-shafted with graphite, but I need something weight wise in the same area as the KBS steel shafts - if I remember correctly, the stock graphite irons are in the 65 to 70 gram area? If you buy these, I'd love to hear your feedback!

I agree with SW. I own these irons and love them. Unfortunately, they are with the KBS steel shafts, so I can't speak to your need on the graphite. Feel is great, played Hogans for years and have been playing Titleist AP1's for a while. Was in the store messing around and picked up a CB2 6 iron and proceeded to nut every one of them into the net. It was that pure "click" that only a forged iron can give you. I even asked the guy where the set was in the store. It was then that he told me they weren't even around anymore, but that he had CB3s on sale. Since I wasn't really in the market, I said thanks and soon left.

Played the next day and could never get the click out of the AP's. I even stopped back in another store and hit a CB3 they had in the demo bag and instantly got the butter "click" I had before. I'm not the sharpest crayon in the box, so I just shrugged and went on. After a few days, I realized that it was the forged feel I remembered from my Hogans that was so smooth. Long story short, I now own CB3's! Distance is about the same for me, maybe 5 yards less sometimes, but the quality of my shots and the confidence I have in the clubs makes up for it.

They are a really nice set of irons and if they perform remotely like the steel with the graphite, you will be happy. Based on your post, maybe go with the R flex..... Would be interested in your thoughts after you pull the trigger. Can you get on a launch monitor or something so you don't have to wait until spring? :act-up:

J.

I agree with SW. I own these irons and love them. Unfortunately, they are with the KBS steel shafts, so I can't speak to your need on the graphite. Feel is great, played Hogans for years and have been playing Titleist AP1's for a while. Was in the store messing around and picked up a CB2 6 iron and proceeded to nut every one of them into the net. It was that pure "click" that only a forged iron can give you. I even asked the guy where the set was in the store. It was then that he told me they weren't even around anymore, but that he had CB3s on sale. Since I wasn't really in the market, I said thanks and soon left.

Played the next day and could never get the click out of the AP's. I even stopped back in another store and hit a CB3 they had in the demo bag and instantly got the butter "click" I had before. I'm not the sharpest crayon in the box, so I just shrugged and went on. After a few days, I realized that it was the forged feel I remembered from my Hogans that was so smooth. Long story short, I now own CB3's! Distance is about the same for me, maybe 5 yards less sometimes, but the quality of my shots and the confidence I have in the clubs makes up for it.

They are a really nice set of irons and if they perform remotely like the steel with the graphite, you will be happy. Based on your post, maybe go with the R flex..... Would be interested in your thoughts after you pull the trigger. Can you get on a launch monitor or something so you don't have to wait until spring? :act-up:

J.

Your post brings back memories. One of my favorite set of irons I had was a set of Hogan edge forged (GS I think). Loved the way they felt, and once I learned how to swing them (and you will learn that with forged irons), they were basically automatic in terms of direction and distance. I have sort of lost that feel since I have gone with cast clubs, and looking to get back to forged, along with graphite for my "old man" bones.

I am hoping to have these in hand after the holidays, and I have some golf simulator time planned with some friends (something we do in WI when it's cold as hell outside!), so I will be able to form some initial thoughts, which I will share. The only thing I am still trying to figure out is reg vs Stiff flex, but I'm leaning towards reg.

Gary

Your post brings back memories. One of my favorite set of irons I had was a set of Hogan edge forged (GS I think). Loved the way they felt, and once I learned how to swing them (and you will learn that with forged irons), they were basically automatic in terms of direction and distance. I have sort of lost that feel since I have gone with cast clubs, and looking to get back to forged, along with graphite for my "old man" bones.

I am hoping to have these in hand after the holidays, and I have some golf simulator time planned with some friends (something we do in WI when it's cold as hell outside!), so I will be able to form some initial thoughts, which I will share. The only thing I am still trying to figure out is reg vs Stiff flex, but I'm leaning towards reg.

Gary

Sounds like you have made up your mind on the opportunity then :) They feel to me just like the old Hogans (which were Edge by the way) to me and I love them. FWIW, I like mine in the R flex which the Hogans had. I gotta believe that the advances made in graphite shaft technology over the last couple of years alone should allow you the ability to get a steel like performing shaft while saving the bones!

J.

Back