Adams Red vs Apex hybrid

KingSinghUNLTD

Reaction score
Handicap
Apex hybrids seem to be a big favorite on THP so wanted to hear thoughts on how the Apex compares to Adams Red. Similar shape and size, loft not adjustable, and the lofts match up too.

What are the pros and cons of each, how do they compare?

Why would you chose Apex over Red, say 20 degree loft?

Would your decision be different if you can get a brand new Adams Red for $60 from Costco?

Lets hear it!

Apex is a nice hybrid, haven't hit the Adams Red, but it is probably good. For $60, it is a no brainer

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Adams Red is solid, for 60 bucks you can't go wrong. I went the R15 route for the adjustability because the Red didn't quite fit my gap, but I definitely could have gamed the Red no problem.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Adams Red is a solid club, slightly bigger head. Personally for a 20 degree I would go Red. The Adams Red for the money is a GREAT buy. You can adjust the weight in the head on the Red so there is some flight manipulation.

For the 26* I prefer the small shape of the Apex, but for a longer hybrid I would like the slightly bigger size. The Adams got discounted quickly when Adidas pretty much shut down Adams.

Apex hybrids seem to be a big favorite on THP so wanted to hear thoughts on how the Apex compares to Adams Red. Similar shape and size, loft not adjustable, and the lofts match up too.

What are the pros and cons of each, how do they compare?

Why would you chose Apex over Red, say 20 degree loft?

Would your decision be different if you can get a brand new Adams Red for $60 from Costco?

Lets hear it!

I'm not averse to spending the money if Apex is much better than Red. But don't want to spend $150 for 5 yards.

Apex 20 was giving me aprox 15 yard gapping. As long as Red gives me approx 10 yard gapping, I'll use the savings on some other golf product. Is the distance/consistency and ball flight so much better with Apex?

I'm not averse to spending the money if Apex is much better than Red. But don't want to spend $150 for 5 yards.

Apex 20 was giving me aprox 15 yard gapping. As long as Red gives me approx 10 yard gapping, I'll use the savings on some other golf product. Is the distance/consistency and ball flight so much better with Apex?

The Red was a little longer than the Apex, but I found the distances to be a little variable. If I hit a shot well it might go my expected distance or 20 yards longer. Very good club, but it is a larger footprint than the Apex. For a shorter Iron I liked the set up of the Apex better than the Red, but that is a personal preference.

Global Golf and 3balls has Adams Red used for super cheap in value/bargain condition. But new at costco for $60 is a steal. Nothing to lose on that.

Sounds like a consistency issue, 20 yd variation on a good shot does not inspire confidence. I would've thought Adams to be shorter but more consistent.

$60 for any of the late Adams hybrids is a no brainer

Really really different. One is small, compact, less offset and the other is the Adams Red. The Red was part of their big "relaunch" that flopped pretty bad and not much has come since from Adams.

Really really different. One is small, compact, less offset and the other is the Adams Red. The Red was part of their big "relaunch" that flopped pretty bad and not much has come since from Adams.

JB - interesting feedback. Did the Red flop because of poor performance, cheap/subpar quality, or lack of marketing support from parent? You highlight 3 characteristics that Red doesn't have and Apex does. What is your experience wrt performance - consistency of distance, level of forgiveness, ease of launch, etc - and how do the 2 compare.

JB - interesting feedback. Did the Red flop because of poor performance, cheap/subpar quality, or lack of marketing support from parent? You highlight 3 characteristics that Red doesn't have and Apex does. What is your experience wrt performance - consistency of distance, level of forgiveness, ease of launch, etc - and how do the 2 compare.

The Red is going to be more forgiving, as it features a larger sole, more offset, etc. The Apex is going to be able to be flighted easier.
A closer comparison here would be XR hybrid vs Adams Red. Both are over a year old and can be had for less than new club prices.

Strictly my opinion, but the Red came at a time, when it was virtually living off Adams hybrids name of the past. It was not designed by the same people as their older hybrids, made in the same place, etc. Nothing wrong with it of course, it was a solid piece of equipment, but it was a TaylorMade hybrid, with an Adams logo on it. If you liked TaylorMade hybrids, you will most likely like the Adams Red.

The closest you will find in my experience to the Apex hybrid is the Adams Pro hybrid. Probably can be found dirt cheap.

I think you've made up your mind with the $60 price tag. But I think it's worth spending the dollars to get the apex. But until you get them in your hands and compare the two, you'll never really know. Reviews are great but there is no sub for hands on experience.

The Red is going to be more forgiving, as it features a larger sole, more offset, etc. The Apex is going to be able to be flighted easier.
A closer comparison here would be XR hybrid vs Adams Red. Both are over a year old and can be had for less than new club prices.

Strictly my opinion, but the Red came at a time, when it was virtually living off Adams hybrids name of the past. It was not designed by the same people as their older hybrids, made in the same place, etc. Nothing wrong with it of course, it was a solid piece of equipment, but it was a TaylorMade hybrid, with an Adams logo on it. If you liked TaylorMade hybrids, you will most likely like the Adams Red.

Very helpful, just the kind of feedback/opinion I was looking for.

Tadashi70 - have not bought a new club in 2 years so money not primary consideration, more about value for money and making sure I get a quality product. Your advice is spot on, I was trying to shortcut since I can't find a Red to hit and compare with Apex.

So finally managed to hit Red and Apex on a simulator this afternoon. Now have full appreciation for the fan following the Apex has on THP! There is so much knowledge and experience graciously shared here and I've enjoyed my first month on the forum.

So finally managed to hit Red and Apex on a simulator this afternoon. Now have full appreciation for the fan following the Apex has on THP! There is so much knowledge and experience graciously shared here and I've enjoyed my first month on the forum.

Enjoyed having you here.

Back