ADD - Multi tasking

Ooo

Reaction score
Had an idea this morning. Found out in my forties that I am ADD. Cannot generally do two things at the same time. Can't watch TV and carry on a conversation at the same time, miss something. Can walk and chew gum but can't golf and chew gum. Point being is that every time I start trying to think before I swing it usually goes bad. Never put it with the ADD until this morning. Had a playing partner comment a while back, "You don't think about anything before you hit do you?" Told him not really, just get distance, pick club, line up and hit the ball. If I play that way I play decent golf, start thinking and it all goes south. Started playing at 61 and now almost 70, still hope to get a little better. Losing some distance still scoring about the same.
When I was young there was not labels for everything, but now a lot of people know about ADD and similar problems. I think if we stay within what we can do we'll play better. Hope this helps someone.

Had an idea this morning. Found out in my forties that I am ADD. Cannot generally do two things at the same time. Can't watch TV and carry on a conversation at the same time, miss something. Can walk and chew gum but can't golf and chew gum. Point being is that every time I start trying to think before I swing it usually goes bad. Never put it with the ADD until this morning. Had a playing partner comment a while back, "You don't think about anything before you hit do you?" Told him not really, just get distance, pick club, line up and hit the ball. If I play that way I play decent golf, start thinking and it all goes south. Started playing at 61 and now almost 70, still hope to get a little better. Losing some distance still scoring about the same.
When I was young there was not labels for everything, but now a lot of people know about ADD and similar problems. I think if we stay within what we can do we'll play better. Hope this helps someone.
I have add, and am the same way. I walk up to the ball and hit it, if I have anything going on in my head it goes poorly.

Thank you GG194 for that insight. My son was diagnosed with ADD and ODD at a young age and is now 16. I now believe I understand why he and I have had so many differences over the years. I am a thinker. Always thinking. Even when doing something I may be thinking about it indepthly. I never realized that I am probably just way overthinking when it comes to him. I have always thought "what can I do" when in reality I just need to "do" less.

Wether you have ADD or not I strongly recommend Bob Rotellas "Golf is not a Game of Perfect." I read it again on the plane ride to Hawaii last night and it really has me excited for my round today. It is so easy in this game to minimize how important your mental approach is to playing and scoring well. Putting his simple principles into practice can dramatically improve your scores and enjoyment of this great game.

I have add as well. I tend to focus on one thing and try my best to block everything else out... so when I golf it's the one thing I am focused on.

Tap tap taparoo

Huh... I believe I'm ADD too... when I said that to one of my good friends his reply was "um, yes! Absolutely!" He has a kid with ADHD so he knows... anyway...

I hadn't thought about how it affects my game but I too play much better when I just play... I get told that I think too much regarding golf and life in general :) thanks for the post!

Back