Adjusting Weighting to your Builds

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
If you want to add more weight to your club building, what is your preferred application? Tip weights?

Coming tomorrow on the Off Course podcast, the guest has a very interesting take on this and it is one that I have been using for a while, so I wanted to get THPers thoughts?

Tip weights for sure. Lead tape is BUFUGLY

Have used tip weights a couple of times but normally go with lead tape.

tip weights if I can help it, but don't care if lead tape is used. also kinda funny when I see lead tape on clubs that actually have adjustable weights on it, like hybrids, fairways, drivers, putters.

John

• Admin
Tip weights for sure. Lead tape is BUFUGLY
Would you change your answer after listening to the latest Off Course?

Well...maybe but still no lead tape

Little late to the party. Tip weights in my mind come down to location at hosel ridge, shaft material, and weight needed. Hosel ridge is a biggie to prevent shearing a shaft against the ridge inside the hosel so if the tip weight ends at the same spot as the ridge it can lead to disaster from the force being applied. The type of shaft material is cut and dry for myself: steel ~ lead/brass below ridge, graphite ~ rubberized tungsten. The benefits of newer clubs is the ability to swap OEM weights to hit a SW or hot melting hollow heads which is the preferred method to avoid altering a shafts integrity.

He's already changed to rusty raw wedges this year. Don't push him too far with lead tape.

I don’t have a preference to how I get the weight where I want it, I just want to get the weight where I want it. Lead tape does not bother me, tungsten powder does not bother me. Tip weights bother me a little bit, only because they can sometimes be a nightmare when removing a shaft.

I’ve used both. I use tip weights to get everything as close to the heaviest weight in the set without going over. Any small adjustments get lead tape. I’m not adverse to just using lead tape either. Can’t see it at address so not a big issue for me.

I prefer lead tape with wedges. Can put it in the center of the club or even out towards the toe sometimes.

This should say everything you need to know about me. lol

5BDF9599-16CE-4707-8D6B-3AACB466A555.jpeg

Tip weighting, lead powder, and lead tape (y)

Lead powder for me. I don't like tip weights. I can never seem to get a good fit with the ferrule when I use them.

Poly cushion stuffing (Walmart) can be used to increase clubhead weight in hollow metal woods and irons.
Weigh exactly the amount desired.
Stuff into the hollow clubhead , suggest a 1/8 to 3/16 inch hole
and the poly stuffing will expand into the space evenly and because it is poly it wont absorb moisture.
Make a plastic plug to seal the hole. (bore thru shaft pins)

Polystuffing seems the only way to add clubhead weight without changing COG the designers intended.

Last edited:
Has anyone ever tested/felt the difference in using lead tape on the club head compared to tip weights or tungsten powder? I have in my mind that adding the weight to the head would make the most sense and have a more solid feel. Would the club feel different as far as a balance point while swinging? Not swing weight balance but like if you were swinging the club with the toe pointed down, how you can definitely tell the weight has moved.

Has anyone ever tested/felt the difference in using lead tape on the club head compared to tip weights or tungsten powder? I have in my mind that adding the weight to the head would make the most sense and have a more solid feel. Would the club feel different as far as a balance point while swinging? Not swing weight balance but like if you were swinging the club with the toe pointed down, how you can definitely tell the weight has moved.

I have used all three, and it was a very interesting discussion on Off Course a few episodes ago about this very thing with Jason from Kinetixx.

Adding weight to the hosel on a iron will react the same as woods in the way it can close the toe more vs lead tape evenly along the back due to concentration of the weight being at one spot at about 1 1/4” to 1/2” below the hosel bore vs. spread low and even throughout the back of the club head. Tape is the quicker and more customizable route it just has the cosmetics side effect.

I use tip weights for big adjustments and an epoxy/tungsten slurry for fine adjustments.

I have used all three, and it was a very interesting discussion on Off Course a few episodes ago about this very thing with Jason from Kinetixx.
So it sounds like he really prefers the tungsten powder. He also talks about drilling ports and down into the neck, that’s not very realistic is it for a “basement builder” to be performing that task?

So it sounds like he really prefers the tungsten powder. He also talks about drilling ports and down into the neck, that’s not very realistic is it for a “basement builder” to be performing that task?

Depends how serious I would imagine :D
But he was pretty strongly against tip weights.

Always lead tape. I can’t help but think tip weights put all that extra weight in the heel of the club. Even if it doesn’t make any difference, it’s a phycological barrier for me.

Exactly like Radeon962 said. I use lead tape to get the correct weight and performance of the club. I than remove the club head and use either brass or lead weights epoxied into the bottom of the shaft. This will change the center of gravity(CG) of the club. Most players cant feel the difference. If you think about using Hot melt which I believe you can only use on woods and fairway woods and hollow type clubs and such it changes the sound of your club. This might not be a big deal too you but it is to a lot of people.
If you need a large increase you may want to consider a heavier shaft. All the while being mindful of your swingweight. gw0105.jpg

Back