Advice for anyone who goes from MB'S to Cavity Backs

Johan185

SoCal, KiteSurfer, Golf Enthusiasts
Reaction score
Handicap
I have generally enjoyed playing with my old Cavity Backs after years of playing Bladed Muscle Back Irons.

Not that I had any business or Skills to properly Play The Blades. They did help my game significantly. Specifically in the ability to hit my Irons more consistently.

Now on my recent return to a Game Improving Cavity Back Iron, I am hitting more Greens in regulation. And have been seen a tremendous impact on my scores.

The Cavity Backs have resulted in a 3 to 4 strokes Improvement per 18 holes. They have also allowed me to escape with a fairly acceptable result, after a Fairly Terrible Swing. Fat Shot and Hitting the ball a little thin throughout the round occur just as frequently. But the advancements in technology and game improvement engineered into the Irons have almost always saved the day and saved my round.

So for example if I hit 10 poor shot that is at least 6 or 8 shots that still either find their way to my intended target. Or at the very least If the ball is not resting safely on the Green, it is in good spot for a easier up and down. Even after some honestly terrible swipes at the ball.

Unfortunately for all the glory and 8 or ten shot saved by the Cavity Backs, there is always one or two times when I hit the ball on the screws, so to speak, and get a beautiful shot that unfortunately over performs and is stroke further than I had expected.

Like hitting your normally 150 yard club 168 yards into the Hazard or a watery grave.

Do I just take the good with the bad?

Or do I have another option to better prepare myself and avoid these unfortunately results?

Is there a swing advice or game management solution?

Or do I simply accept the 8 strokes saved for the one stroke lost.

It is still a winner for me to keep playing Cavity Backs. But is there a better option to avoid losing strokes.

Working hard to break 80 on a consistent basis.

I think the general consensus is play for your average, but don’t play a shot where your miss or perfect shot is going to hurt you. So if water is long, play for the front of the green.

Flyers as you are speaking of generally occur less because of the equipment and more because of impact (generally speaking). This could be the result of grooves being filled, some blades of grass being between the ball and face, the swing, etc.

20 yards too far sounds more like an anomaly than it would be anything to do with equipment. In my opinion anyway. Think of it like this. More than half of the best players in the world are using a cavity back of some sort, that wouldn't be the case if distances were not predictable.

Candidly, I have played both....and never or should I say can I remember hitting my 150 club 168. When I put my 150 club in my hands it has been tested rigorously to be the 150 club. To me what that means is if I put the right swing with solid contact on it....it goes 150. Predominantly except for forced carries....the bigger trouble lurks over greens. Typical slope is back to front. easier up/downs come from the front. Overall CB just improve your misses. Your pure shot whether CB or MB should be similar all other things being the same. ....last point. breaking 80 is all about putts/chips...short game practice.

I think it's more likely if you just made the transition that you are still adjusting to distances than that the clubs are doing anything. Always consider the design of the hole as @dazeedmonds advised. If trouble is long and you are not 100% on your distances yet then proceed with caution.

Maybe your hitting your 170 club crappy for 8 shots and only put 2 good swings on it that go the right distance? :p

Joking with ya @Johan185 :cool:

Sounds like some range time is in order to get the distances dialed in.

Maybe your hitting your 170 club crappy for 8 shots and only put 2 good swings on it that go the right distance? :p

Joking with ya @Johan185 :cool:
You may not be wrong ?

Also I usually only swing 50 percent and my nerves my fire and boost my swing to 800 percent on a given shot accounting for my results.

Kidding is fine. I only play golf for fun and enjoy laughing at myself. Even when I want to cry, RIP my hair out and snap the Club in half.

Just kidding ?:banghead:?

But I honestly can't deny saving 4 strokes at any price. Even if it was a blade of grass or a occasional misfire. I simply honestly choose the wrong Club and Bite off more than I could chew. Golf Bite back.

But I honestly am enjoying the Cavity Backs tremendously. :drinks:

That difference in distances isn’t the club... that’s something else, as JB said potentially a flyer or something

One time....many moons ago...I came to 18 and knew if I parred I'd shot even par...pulled out my 9 iron and just plain hit a fatty...It went out and hit just short and rolled up to 10 feet...SOB HTH...go to put back my 9 iron and see a 6 on it...Ha 2putt for 72.

The dreaded 6 for a 9.

It has happened also to me before :banghead:

:facepalm::drinks:

One time....many moons ago...I came to 18 and knew if I parred I'd shot even par...pulled out my 9 iron and just plain hit a fatty...It went out and hit just short and rolled up to 10 feet...SOB HTH...go to put back my 9 iron and see a 6 on it...Ha 2putt for 72.
The golf God were looking down at you and smiled. He has earned a break :drinks:

Shot a Stress free 90 today.

The Cavity Backs were never a problem.

10 holes with a 3 putter sure is.

I just need to adjust my eyes and my Swings to the new clubs.

Thanks again for all the good advice.

:drinks::thp:

After 18 more holes today. The only advice needed to adjust to the Cavity Backs is to play the clubs for at least a few weeks. The fliers are nonexistent.

A Distance memory. :drinks:

Back