Advice needed: TPC Sawgrass or Streamsong Red?

InHartWeTrust

Ball Go Far.
Reaction score
Handicap
4-5ish
I have travel for business to Orlando in September, which my wife will also be joining for. She and a friend of ours want to extend the trip to somewhere we can drive to, they want a beach and my only requirement is that we go somewhere that is close enough for me to play one of these two courses...

Before I really begin my negotiations and trying to lead the witness a bit, I was hoping I could get some input from those that have played both -- which should I be aiming for?

Thank you in advance :D

I would put cost the determining factor for either one of these courses having playing both. If Sawgrass is $500, no freaking chance.

I will tell you though Streamsong is not near anything at all. In fact, you literally drive to the middle of nowhere to get there. When you look up and go I have no idea where I am, but I bet someone has been buried out here cause where the hell am I, you’re about 15 minutes away from the resort. That one won’t be a real quick round of golf and then catch the wife 30min later, unless she’s staying on property.

as someone whose spouse joined him for a weekend at streamsong, there is NOTHING to do. she can sit by the pool and have some drinks, get a spa treatment, but that’s it. you are a captive audience when you stay out there. i’ve done streamsong once, no need to do it again.

i’ve never done sawgrass

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

We would stay in Tampa or St Pete, she could beach it up with her friend there and I’d drive to the course for 18 or 36 (at Streamsong).

Research definitely showed my wife and her friend would not be pleased if I drug them there with me

Appreciate the heads up though guys! Good lookin out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have travel for business to Orlando in September, which my wife will also be joining for. She and a friend of ours want to extend the trip to somewhere we can drive to, they want a beach and my only requirement is that we go somewhere that is close enough for me to play one of these two courses...

Before I really begin my negotiations and trying to lead the witness a bit, I was hoping I could get some input from those that have played both -- which should I be aiming for?

Thank you in advance :D

If they want the beach, then Streamsong is not the place for that

If you are staying in St Pete, TPC Sawgrass is not in the conversation for driving to for a round. It’s 4 hours away. Streamsong is an hour and a half.

Agree with the above. I haven’t played TPC Sawgrass, but the wife and I are heading down at the end of August and I’m going to plead my case, even though we are house shopping.

If your looking for things the wife can do, Beach and shop then TPC Sawgrass is your best bet.

Advice needed: TPC Sawgrass or Streamsong Red?

If you are staying in St Pete, TPC Sawgrass is not in the conversation for driving to for a round. It’s 4 hours away. Streamsong is an hour and a half.

I would stay in Tampa/St Pete if I play Streamsong, or St Augustine/Ponte Vedra if I play Sawgrass.

Just need recommendations on which is the “must play” course between the two...I’ll round the trip out from there.

Business is in Orlando and we can travel to either location from there.

I would stay in Tampa/St Pete if I play Streamsong, or St Augustine/Ponte Vedra if I play Sawgrass.

Just need recommendations on which is the “must play” course between the two...I’ll round the trip out from there.

Business is in Orlando and we can travel to either location from there.

if you’re going to stay in st augustine, play hammock beach instead.

and if you’re gonna be in orlando, hit me up!!!

Have played both. That's honestly a pretty tough call. Red is my favorite of the 3 at Streamsong by far, and Sawgrass is great. If you are talking just 1 rd, I'd probably go Sawgrass. Then take a buddies trip to Streamsong and do all 3 sometime.

Ran out of time, so took the advise to guide the wife towards making the vacation extension to Ponte Vedra/St Augustine and I’ll just play Sawgrass...will keep Streamsong on the list for a future boys trip to play them all.

The wife and I have been to St Pete/Tampa plenty in the past, so it was a pretty easy sell to try somewhere new.

Appreciate the input that everyone gave.

Good timing on thread. I'm in air headed to Miami and was gonna ask if Sawgrass is worth the price tag. I played Pebble and Spyglass last month so not in mood to spend $500 unless it's just incredible. I don't mind the drive so not factoring that in

I'm new to THP...Have been around to quite a few courses. From Tampa you have a short jaunt to Streamsong...Go there play 36. The 36 will be less than 18 at TPC and a lot closer. Streamsong courses are fantastic and playable by all. TPC Sawgrass is one of the toughest tracks you'll ever play. Enjoy.

I'm new to THP...Have been around to quite a few courses. From Tampa you have a short jaunt to Streamsong...Go there play 36. The 36 will be less than 18 at TPC and a lot closer. Streamsong courses are fantastic and playable by all. TPC Sawgrass is one of the toughest tracks you'll ever play. Enjoy.

Thanks for the response. I’ve ultimately decided to play Sawgrass, we will be staying in Ponte Vedra (instead of going to Tampa/St Pete), so it’s only a <10 minute drive to the course.

Ultimately, it’s one of those things where I got to a point of saying “What if I never get the chance again?” A buddy and I have been trying to get an annual guys golf trip off the ground for years, and despite about 6-8 of us all being “all in”, outside of he and I, no one is golf crazy like us — and kids are appearing now — so the planning has gone from challenging to essentially impossible. If/when the annual trip does start, many are cheap skates when it comes to golf, so Sawgrass would be a non-starter. I’d have a hell of a time convincing that group to ever go to Ponte Vedra, so I figured I’d knock it out now. I passed up a solo round at Spyglass a few Falls ago, thinking “I’ll wait to go with the guys” and I’ve regretted that ever since.

I’ll play Sawgrass now (and I just played Muirfield Village, and am playing Firestone South later this month, so it’ll be a nice comparison for “Tour level difficulty”), and do my best to coordinate a Streamsong trip with the guys. Getting a package deal there for stay and play gives me a fighting chance to get that off the ground.

If I had to chose to only play one in this lifetime, it’d be Sawgrass 10 out of 10 times, so I’m removing any doubt there and getting it done. Can’t keep deferring opportunities.

Most difficult I’ve played to date has been:

1) Muirfield
2) Kapalua Plantation
3) a number of other courses that are great, but are difficult to differentiate

I’m guessing Sawgrass will take over the #1 or #2 spot. Plantation was only difficult bc I played it from the tips, and even then, I didn’t think it was that bad...just harder than the others I’ve played.

Enjoy...I will be saving playing Sawgrass until we move down there next year!

if you’re going to stay in st augustine, play hammock beach instead.

and if you’re gonna be in orlando, hit me up!!!

Missed this post, I’ve previously tried to find some free time while in Orlando to play, but it’s a no go. I land at 8am Saturday and it will be a jam packed work schedule from the time I arrive at the hotel through Wednesday at 1pm when I can finally pack up and head out to Ponte Vedra. Sucks.

If I make it back down that way, with capacity to play a round, I’ll definitely take you up on the offer!

Agree, being in Ponte Vedra...Ya gotta play TPC. Enjoy.

InHartWeTrust;n8633370 said:
Thanks for the response. I’ve ultimately decided to play Sawgrass, we will be staying in Ponte Vedra (instead of going to Tampa/St Pete), so it’s only a <10 minute drive to the course.

Ultimately, it’s one of those things where I got to a point of saying “What if I never get the chance again?” A buddy and I have been trying to get an annual guys golf trip off the ground for years, and despite about 6-8 of us all being “all in”, outside of he and I, no one is golf crazy like us — and kids are appearing now — so the planning has gone from challenging to essentially impossible. If/when the annual trip does start, many are cheap skates when it comes to golf, so Sawgrass would be a non-starter. I’d have a hell of a time convincing that group to ever go to Ponte Vedra, so I figured I’d knock it out now. I passed up a solo round at Spyglass a few Falls ago, thinking “I’ll wait to go with the guys” and I’ve regretted that ever since.

I’ll play Sawgrass now (and I just played Muirfield Village, and am playing Firestone South later this month, so it’ll be a nice comparison for “Tour level difficulty”), and do my best to coordinate a Streamsong trip with the guys. Getting a package deal there for stay and play gives me a fighting chance to get that off the ground.

If I had to chose to only play one in this lifetime, it’d be Sawgrass 10 out of 10 times, so I’m removing any doubt there and getting it done. Can’t keep deferring opportunities.

Most difficult I’ve played to date has been:

1) Muirfield
2) Kapalua Plantation
3) a number of other courses that are great, but are difficult to differentiate

I’m guessing Sawgrass will take over the #1 or #2 spot. Plantation was only difficult bc I played it from the tips, and even then, I didn’t think it was that bad...just harder than the others I’ve played.

I don’t think you’ll find Sawgrass more difficult than Muirfield. If it is, I don’t want to play there. Muirfield was awesome and I was a plus HC when I played it and it ate me alive. You have to be in the right spot to have any prayer on every single shot. Those greens are just insane too.

Smiter;n8876042 said:
I don’t think you’ll find Sawgrass more difficult than Muirfield. If it is, I don’t want to play there. Muirfield was awesome and I was a plus HC when I played it and it ate me alive. You have to be in the right spot to have any prayer on every single shot. Those greens are just insane too.

I hit the ball like **** off and on but managed my way around the course fine, I guess, thanks to some miracle shots on approaches. Had the worst putting round of my life though (yips and all) and limped my way to an 81 with seven 3 putts — 5 of which came on the front 9. Missed a few birdie chances inside 10-12 feet as well. The greens were beastly but it didn’t matter...I couldn’t make a thing anyway.

44-37-81

If my putter had shown up at all, I had a chance for a decent round despite a mediocre round otherwise. Birdies saved me from a total train wreck.

Hoping the putter decides to make the trip to Ponte Vedra

Back