Age Limit For Flat Brim?

I have to add the poker pro Dan Harrington still wears a flat brimmed hat and he's known for it in the poker world

31? Boy we need to get a beer sometime. I'm only 45 minutes south of you.

Just tap it in, just tap it in.

Yeah I know, I PM'ed you a while about where you like to play at. Your coming up for the gathering on the 30th right?

To each there own. There are certain places, such as work, church, funeral, wedding, etc. where proper attire is needed. Somewhere like the golf course of course, there is nothing wrong with making it your own with something such as bright colours or a certain hat, though I do think there should be rules to apparel on the golf course, though again that's my opinion.

As for wearing specific items and them being relative to age, well that's a personal thing. Though if it was me, I do think there is such thing as dressing your age.

PD,
You are entirely right. I mean anybody that would wear pants to the THP outing in FL is pretty crazy. I like crazy and you are a great dude. But truthfully, it happens all the time...Right or wrong. Ever seen an older lady on the first tee and thinking I hope I dont get paired with them? They might have crazy good game, but we hear it every week. I mean while its not a hat, its still judging on appearance. Let me preface this by saying that Playdough might love or cherish his time playing with "meemaws" and personally I do too, but some people might judge.

Oh yeah, everyone was saying I was crazy, but I know what I can process, heck it was mid-80's here yesterday and I had black pants on...I'll have pants at next years Outing as well.

But you are correct everyone judges right or wrong. Would I want to play with "meemaws", don't care honestly. I've met some great people on the course and make the best of who ever either joins me or I get paired with. Had a great time with a group of 3 older gentleman who have been playing together for 30 years, and was all at least 35 years older than me. I certainly find a way to make sure I have fun and they have fun too.

THat is a great outlook to have PD. I truly wish more could think that way.

I think once you turn 13 the flat brim should be out.

I think it's 20. But unless your a baseball catcher, once you are 18, turn that bill to the front! haha

Not the same thing as I was referring to dude. Those from the 80s and early 90s will know exactly what I am discussing.
I have no idea what you are talking about. And no, there are no pictures, HA!

People can dress however they like, no matter how old they are. To judge people based on how they dress is absurd IMO.

That why I'm lobbying my Country Club to allow overalls!
b5c2d481_s080625_golf.jpeg

I think if you have a big head the flat brim works, however, if you have a peanut head like me, the flat brim should never cross the threshold of the store.

I have a guy at work that told me he bought the orange Ricky outfit. He is 32 years old. I am golfing with him tomorrow, and I told him if he shows up in his creamsicle outfit that I will laugh at him for the whole round.

To be fair PD. Nobody would ever know that AK or Thurston Howell wears a flat brim because they do not play golf on the weekends.
act-up.png

LOL. Quoted for truth.

I know I'm getting old. In fact, I'm only about a half sand wedge away from patrolling my front porch so I can tell the bratty neighbor kids to "get off my lawn" (imagine Clint Eastwood in Gran Torino). In that spirit...

The other day our regular weekend group was in the clubhouse sharing post-round observations of golf's most recent injustices. Sittiing to my immediate right was a guy I would peg to be in his late 30s/early 40s. Nothing remarkable about him, other than he was sporting a Puma over-the-ears/flat-brimmed cap. It wasn't Sunday neon orange, but everything else about this guy wreaked of Fowler.

I like Rickie. I was happy to see him win a few weeks ago, and think he's great for the game. I think it's cute to see the young kids in his gallery Fowlered up from head to toe. But shouldn't be there an age limit? Rickie is the pied piper, but at some point isn't it a little uncool to be a middle-aged dude skipping behind him?

And as long as I'm at it, what about backwards cap guy? When I was in college backwards cap wearing was just coming into vogue, but now some of these guys are north of 50. Shouldn't there be a point at which it's time to turn the cap around and look like a grown-up?

Like I said, I'm getting old, but still...

He probably had highlights in his hair and still wore earrings. Some dudes just can't let it go.

Not really. I judge people how the dress all the time. If a kid shows up for an interview in sweat pants and a hat in backwards, I'm not hiring him. I know this is completely different from the topic of this thread, but at the same time, in a professional setting, whether its business or sports, appearance speaks volumes.

Agreed. If I am perfectly honest, I judge everyone on how they dress in almost all situations. (hey, I could be dishonest and say it doesn't matter but it does to me).

As for your Rickie wanna be friend... it wouldn't be my first choice but at least he isn't wearing jeans or cargo pants and flip flops to the golf course. (saw a girl in flip flops today at the course and she was playing in them)

I think the more pressing question is, why is Rickie sporting that Magnum PI mustache? He looks like he should be hanging out the side of a panel van offering free candy to children...

Awesome... in fact I dedicated a FB update to the very same (important) topic.

I think Rickie is trying to look older... He's kinda got a baby face. Maybe he got tired of getting carded at the bars.

If I can't (according to popular convention) wear a white belt because my waistline is north of 40, then no one over 20 should wear a flat-brim, over the ears. And as far as a backwards hat, to me, it screams "A-hole." But that's just me.

As was said earlier in this thread wear whatever you want but be prepared to be judged based on your dress and apperance. Right or wrong that is the way the world works, always has worked and likely always will work.

Actually, it does. If he's too lazy to dress nice for an interview and put his best foot forward, what kind of wok ethic should I expect him to have?
I thought we were talking about someone wearing a hat on the golf course-not dressing for an interview. I think they are 2 different things.

Now THAT is a good look!
I think you are allowed to tee your ball on your beer can if it isn't empty. I thought I read that in a rulebook somewhere. I'm referring to the picture in post number 62!

I honestly couldn't give less of a damn if your hat has a curved bill or a flat one. I think both equally acceptable in just about any setting (and, as such, equally unacceptable in many settings).

I believe in dressing in what flatters your body. I also believe in dressing nicely, khakis are a regular part of my wardrobe. I do not believe in showing my ass due to my pants sagging, or my privates due to my pants being to tight.

Moral of the story: watch your highs and lows, and dress appropriately.

Really JR? I pegged you as a skinny jeans type of guy. Lol.

I know I'm getting old. In fact, I'm only about a half sand wedge away from patrolling my front porch so I can tell the bratty neighbor kids to "get off my lawn" (imagine Clint Eastwood in Gran Torino). In that spirit...

The other day our regular weekend group was in the clubhouse sharing post-round observations of golf's most recent injustices. Sittiing to my immediate right was a guy I would peg to be in his late 30s/early 40s. Nothing remarkable about him, other than he was sporting a Puma over-the-ears/flat-brimmed cap. It wasn't Sunday neon orange, but everything else about this guy wreaked of Fowler.

I like Rickie. I was happy to see him win a few weeks ago, and think he's great for the game. I think it's cute to see the young kids in his gallery Fowlered up from head to toe. But shouldn't be there an age limit? Rickie is the pied piper, but at some point isn't it a little uncool to be a middle-aged dude skipping behind him?

And as long as I'm at it, what about backwards cap guy? When I was in college backwards cap wearing was just coming into vogue, but now some of these guys are north of 50. Shouldn't there be a point at which it's time to turn the cap around and look like a grown-up?

Like I said, I'm getting old, but still...

If you don't mind looking like a fool, wear one all you want! Anything over 13 is to old.

If you don't mind looking like a fool, wear one all you want! Anything over 13 is to old.

What if I think you look like a fool in khaki's?

Some of you are so terribly judgmental - I think a few of you need a little perspective on what the heck is really important in life.

Yes, there's definitely an age limit. Even cool things have an expiration date. 40 year old guy trying to dress like he's 20 and going to the club. 30 year old women who still think they can pull off mini-skirts. 20 somethings who still wear their HS gear (i.e., letter man's jacket). Grown men that wear NFL football jerseys. Flat brimmed golf hats. True, there's always an exception to the rule, some person that can pull it off. But that's the exception. The rest of us can't and shouldn't try.

Back