Age Limit For Flat Brim?

MUTiger

KC Golfer
Reaction score
Handicap
I know I'm getting old. In fact, I'm only about a half sand wedge away from patrolling my front porch so I can tell the bratty neighbor kids to "get off my lawn" (imagine Clint Eastwood in Gran Torino). In that spirit...

The other day our regular weekend group was in the clubhouse sharing post-round observations of golf's most recent injustices. Sittiing to my immediate right was a guy I would peg to be in his late 30s/early 40s. Nothing remarkable about him, other than he was sporting a Puma over-the-ears/flat-brimmed cap. It wasn't Sunday neon orange, but everything else about this guy wreaked of Fowler.

I like Rickie. I was happy to see him win a few weeks ago, and think he's great for the game. I think it's cute to see the young kids in his gallery Fowlered up from head to toe. But shouldn't be there an age limit? Rickie is the pied piper, but at some point isn't it a little uncool to be a middle-aged dude skipping behind him?

And as long as I'm at it, what about backwards cap guy? When I was in college backwards cap wearing was just coming into vogue, but now some of these guys are north of 50. Shouldn't there be a point at which it's time to turn the cap around and look like a grown-up?

Like I said, I'm getting old, but still...

Last edited:
There's no age limit. People can dress however they like, no matter how old they are. To judge people based on how they dress is absurd IMO.

There's no age limit. People can dress however they like, no matter how old they are. To judge people based on how they dress is absurd IMO.

Nuff said right here.

Representin' for the G's all across the world...

Not really. I judge people how the dress all the time. If a kid shows up for an interview in sweat pants and a hat in backwards, I'm not hiring him. I know this is completely different from the topic of this thread, but at the same time, in a professional setting, whether its business or sports, appearance speaks volumes.

I know I'm getting old. In fact, I'm only about a half sand wedge away from patrolling my front porch so I can tell the bratty neighbor kids to "get off my lawn" (imagine Clint Eastwood in Gran Torino). In that spirit...

The other day our regular weekend group was in the clubhouse sharing post-round observations of golf's injustices. Sittiing to my immediate right was a guy I would peg to be in his late 30s/early 40s. Nothing remarkable about him, other than he was sporting a Puma over-the-ears/flat-brimmed cap. It wasn't Sunday neon orange, but everything else about this guy wreaked of Fowler.

I like Rickie. I was happy to see him win a few weeks ago, and think he's great for the game. I think it's cute to see the young kids in his gallery Fowlered up from head to toe. But shouldn't be there an age limit? Rickie is the pied piper, but at some point isn't it a little uncool to be a middle-aged dude skipping behind him?

And as long as I'm at it, what about backwards cap guy? When I was in college backwards cap wearing was just coming into vogue, but now some of these guys are north of 50. Shouldn't there be a point at which it's time to turn the cap around and look like a grown-up?

Like I said, I'm getting old, but still...

Reminds me of the time when I was younger and clubbing on the weekends in New York City with friends. You'd always catch guys in their 40s and older trying to look and act younger in an effort to "impress the ladies". Quite the hilarious scene LOL.

Personally, I think there's nothing wrong with aging gracefully. With that said however, to each their own.

I think once you turn 13 the flat brim should be out.

Not really. I judge people how the dress all the time. If a kid shows up for an interview in sweat pants and a hat in backwards, I'm not hiring him. I know this is completely different from the topic of this thread, but at the same time, in a professional setting, whether its business or sports, appearance speaks volumes.

I do too. It's the way it is.

I understand that, but I still think it's silly. How he dresses is not a definite indicator of how good a worker he is.

I think once you turn 13 the flat brim should be out.

Only exception to this rule is if the person wearing the hat is on a baseball field. The only time I wear a flat brim hat is when I umpire. Mostly because it's hard to see out of a mask with the brim bent around.

I understand that, but I still think it's silly. How he dresses is not a definite indicator of how good a worker he is.

Actually, it does. If he's too lazy to dress nice for an interview and put his best foot forward, what kind of wok ethic should I expect him to have?

Actually, it does. If he's too lazy to dress nice for an interview and put his best foot forward, what kind of wok ethic should I expect him to have?

That's expectation. Again, not definite. That kid could end up being a very good worker. It's unlikely and may be an indicator in some cases, but I don't think work ethic directly correlates to dress.

nail meet head

I have a guy at work that told me he bought the orange Ricky outfit. He is 32 years old. I am golfing with him tomorrow, and I told him if he shows up in his creamsicle outfit that I will laugh at him for the whole round.

c'mon... it's how the world works

people absolutely do judge you on appearance

imagine going to pick a girl up for a date and she comes to the door in sweatpants and a ratty t-shirt, vs her coming to the door in a nice dress

first impressions mean a lot, and it's silly to give yourself a disadvantage by deliberately putting out a bad first impression.

ha! exactly

yeah, the guy can't spend 5 minutes to dress properly.... how's he going to work properly for 8 hours!

So If I'm wearing my 100$ shorts and my 200 $ Hugo Boss Golf shirt which i would think looks very respectable on and off the golf course but i'm wearing a Fowler Flat Brim Hat are you not going to hire me? or wanna go out, have a beer and golf? Because of the Rickie Folwer hat?

I understand dressing like a slob or if you just have jeans and a hat backwards (to a interview/golf outting) but i don't think it makes a difference if the hat has a curve or not.

And I know i wouldn't wear a hat to a interview, because flat brim or not... Your not gonna get hired.

P.S. back in the day most hats were flat, all my Grandpa old golf hats are at-least, unless he was a G.

Last edited:
How come when I was reading the OP I kept saying to myself, "Who are the ad wizards whocame up with that one?"I respect a person's right to wear what they please. As long as that person understands that I don't have to think it looks good.

Why does this matter exactly? Wear whatever you want.

yup, but be prepared that people are going to judge you based on what you choose to wear

if you want to wear some squirrely clothes, people are going to think you're a squirrely dude

That's expectation. Again, not definite. That kid could end up being a very good worker. It's unlikely and may be an indicator in some cases, but I don't think work ethic directly correlates to dress.

You'll understand in a few years dude.

Reactions: JB
This thread got funny in a hurry.

I could not agree more!!! It is amazing how far (and not in a good way) that we have come as a society. It wasn't that long ago that men were expected to wear a jacket and hat outdoors. It is simply false to believe that people aren't judged by their appearance. Here is a rule I live by... always dress up! It is very rare that anyone is ever looked at less favorably because they dressed up.

Now to answer the OP question. 7 is too old! :D

I am going to compromise and rock the TaylorMade DJ hat.

Wandering the earth like Kane from Kung Fu, Tapatalking on an iPhone.

Back