Age Related Equipment Choices

Shakey

#TheGolfWhisperer
Reaction score
Handicap
10.7 Index
For the past year, I've lived in a golf community where the ratio of golfers 50+ year old is probably 3:1 over younger than 50. They tend to fall into a few categories when it comes to equipment.

1. The Miser - won't have any club in the bag newer than 10yrs old & playing Wilson Ultra balls. Insists that their old junk is as good as the new stuff.

2. The Retirement Set Guy - Got fit for a complete set when they retired several years back & refuse to acknowledge that their swings have changed (slower/less consistent striking). I see a ton of Taylormade in this group.

3. The Pingelists - Only Ping & Titleist are worth a damn. Wont even think of giving another brand a chance.

4. The Richie Rich - could have called this the Bob's (aka Bob Parson) because they have 14 PXG clubs & typically always wear black. And you better believe that the ONLY ball they seem worthy is the ProV1.

5. The Gimmick - Ever see someone with an all infomercial bag? I know several that have infomercial clubs for everything but irons. Surprisingly, some of these guys are pretty good.

6. The Old Pro - These guys are the ones that will take all your quarters in the daily game. They know their game and aren't to proud to take advantage of modern technology. Probably won't see the latest/greatest tech in their bags, but high lofted G400/Epic drivers & OG P790 or Big Bertha irons are the norm. And don't be surprised when they consistently roll in 15 footers with a beat up old 2 Ball putter.

Back