Aimpoint Express - green reading

Castor Hades

Reaction score
Handicap
6.7 EGA
I was offered a chance to participate to a Aimpoint Express session. I have no experience of this, I know that it exists and that the Express version is a bit faster and simple. Anyone have any experience on this?

I will go there anyway, the price includes a round of golf, 18 holes on the best course in the country, and the whole deal is just 30-40 dollars more than the standard green fee.

Naturally, I will write a review / notes on the session. It's due to take place in May.

It's pretty new here Castor and not a lot of the regular aimpoint teachers have learned it yet. I know it's significantly faster than the regular aimpoint method having seen several of the videos on it.

Definitely worth the learn though for that price

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts, Henri!

Can't beat the price, looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

I have done the Aimpoint mid-point clinic and use some of the basics a lot to get a general read. Unfortunately I did not put the time in after to really apply it, which is one thing I hope to work on more this year. In fact, plan to go do an Express Read clinic real soon. From what I have seen this is a real concise way to use this method of green reading and takes out some of the negative of having to use the charts you use for the mid-point reads. It has some limitations, but may give you the impetus to go to the next level with it.

It all makes a lot of sense when you hear it, really basically boils down to nothing more than understanding gravity. They have done the math for you, and based on the speed, slope, and distance tell you how far to aim relative to the hole and in which direction assuming a basic speed of putt. The guys that developed and some that teach it are very approachable on Twitter if you have questions also. Getting fired up just writing about actually.

Very interested in reading how this works out for you Castor! I've been interested in Aimpoint and would like to hear how the express version goes.

Awesome Castor! Looking forward to reading about this in the future.

Proud Member of #TeamParadise

From what I have seen this is a real concise way to use this method of green reading and takes out some of the negative of having to use the charts you use for the mid-point reads. It has some limitations, but may give you the impetus to go to the next level with it.

The Express got my attention, the mid point chart using thing put me off when people started talking about this a couple of years ago. I just couldn't take out a chart every time I putt.

Looking forward to hear on how it goes Castor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Going to look for this express option. Anxious to hear how it goes.

Going to look for this express option. Anxious to hear how it goes.
Ward, we could get the DFW crew out and do a clinic a couple of places locally. I would be up for it.

The Express got my attention, the mid point chart using thing put me off when people started talking about this a couple of years ago. I just couldn't take out a chart every time I putt.

No different than using a yardage book and such. Honestly takes me 15 or so seconds to walk it off and get may reading. Then again, I've been told I'm one of the faster people who use this.

All - I recently took the Aimpoint Express class. it requires you to be able to feel the angle of the slope with your feet. According to my instructor most putts will have between 1-4* of angle. No need to figure out a zero point, distance, etc.

Before taking the class I didn't really have any method to reading the green besides just guessing it moved left or right.

To me...I think it is a very good system & only takes about 10-15 seconds to do. It is not perfect. It does require you to be at determining the angle of slope, then you have to be able to start your putt off at the correct point....then finally you need to be able to hit putt so the speed would leave the putt 6-10" past the hole. There is a more complicated method for putting double breaking putts.

Having done the normal class, is it similar to how you would read the slope that way?

Having done the normal class, is it similar to how you would read the slope that way?

I haven't done the regular class. But the instructor showed me how you read the putt using the regular Aimpoint & basically it gave the same aimpoint as using the express method.

I haven't done the regular class. But the instructor showed me how you read the putt using the regular Aimpoint & basically it gave the same aimpoint as using the express method.

Easy enough. I'd be curious how the advanced classes go and such, but I'm also waiting for the advanced classes for the regular aimpoint to become more available. They don't come around all that often near me.

I would be interested in the express. Had a buddy try and show me the other longer version and just thought it took too much time to get a read.

Easy enough. I'd be curious how the advanced classes go and such, but I'm also waiting for the advanced classes for the regular aimpoint to become more available. They don't come around all that often near me.

I don't think I could do the regular Aimpoint. I don't want to carry around a chart or look for the zero line.

I've just done a 2 and a bit hour Aimpoint Express class. Putts within 6 feet didn't miss a single one, putts in the 15 - 20 foot range line was perfect every time and 90% were in the cup the remaining ones were literally 6 inches from the cup. 20 - 40 foot if they were not in they were approx 12 - 18 inches away. The main reason was speed for my misses.

We started having a brief overview of how the system works, followed by positioning ourselves over 1, 2, 3 and 4% markers to "feel" the difference either in your feet, knees or the way you felt your body tilted. I struggled with this to start with but then found the dangle the putter from your chest and look at which way it leans method a lot easier. We were putting from all over the green on different angles and up to the 20 foot or so mark I found it very accurate. 20 - 40 it was a lot closer than I have been seeing whilst playing. We touched on double breaking putts but the practice green was ideal for this but the theory is now in my head.

I just need to practice this now and I think it will make a difference in my scores. Normally 20 - 40 foot I am realistically looking at 3 putts 2 if I get lucky. Cost was 120 USD which for closer to 2.5 hours I do not consider to be a massive amount of money.

I've just done a 2 and a bit hour Aimpoint Express class. Putts within 6 feet didn't miss a single one, putts in the 15 - 20 foot range line was perfect every time and 90% were in the cup the remaining ones were literally 6 inches from the cup. 20 - 40 foot if they were not in they were approx 12 - 18 inches away. The main reason was speed for my misses.

Not that Aimpoint isn't valuable, but you do realize that if you putt 100% from 6-feet and in, and 90% from 15-20 foot range, you'd be outpacing the PGA tour by quite a lot, right? Current leader from 15-20 feet is Bubba Watson, at 40%.

Not that Aimpoint isn't valuable, but you do realize that if you putt 100% from 6-feet and in, and 90% from 15-20 foot range, you'd be outpacing the PGA tour by quite a lot, right? Current leader from 15-20 feet is Bubba Watson, at 40%.

Is that over a season or a couple of hours practicing with approx 10 putts per distance? If I can end up leaving the ball within 12 - 18 inches from 20 - 40 foot away I'll be one happy chappy.

I took Aimpoint express and the mid class it's helped me already I've seen improvements and people I played with see improvements in my putting but I think your numbers are a little off that's just unrealistic IMO

OK I hate to be "that new guy" that digs up old threads ... any more recent feed back on this course?

I recently took the express and for a high handicap that had not a clue on what to do and not able to see level in the first place, I can honestly say it help me, to at least have some clue.

Of course it does not teach you how to putt, but rather where your "aim point" would be.

Just curious on more recent thoughts and experiences from other members of THP.

edit: Found a more recent thread ... sorry to drag this one up.

Back