Airline Rewards Programs & Deals Thread

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
We have the hotel rewards programs and deals thread and it became kind of a catch all for rewards. We will move that one back towards hotels only and this one will be for Airlines.

Currently GG and I are members with most carriers.
We have credit card tie ins with two of them to maximize earnings.

This thread will be to discuss the latest goings on with the rewards programs and deals being offered.

Currently still using the SW card, but pretty much as soon as I book my next flight I believe we will be done with that one.

More than likely onto the Chase Sapphire Preferred. Great signup bonus, good for both hotel and airline usage since Im not sure which will lead to more expenses for me in 2015.

Still using SW and don't anticipate moving. It is my favorite airline and the points are pretty solid. With the amount of $$ I put on it for work I earn points pretty quick and double on all my SW flights booked through them

Was Continental because I had the card. Now that everything converted to United I hate it. The flight service has gone down, prices up, and they got rid of the companion Business first ticket code.
I am flying home from Europe this summer on Icelandair and am super excited for that. They are usually among the cheapest on transatlantic routes from NYC. I may start keeping them around for Euro travel and United for US travel.

On a general level, I wonder if all of the airlines are eventually going to move to a model where you get points based on $$ spent, not miles flown. Jetblue already does this, Delta is moving to that model in 2015 as well. That model is great for business travelers, but will hurt the leisure travelers that are mainly looking for the lowest fare regardless of carrier.

We did just burn a ton of Delta miles to go round-trip to Europe. The nice part about Delta is that they allow open-jaw routing on an overseas trip booked with miles, so we were able to fly to Paris on the way there and fly out of Amsterdam on the way back.

Currently still using the SW card, but pretty much as soon as I book my next flight I believe we will be done with that one.

More than likely onto the Chase Sapphire Preferred. Great signup bonus, good for both hotel and airline usage since Im not sure which will lead to more expenses for me in 2015.

I am looking at the Sapphire as well, looks to be the best credit card I can find and I've heard great things about it from friends who have had other cards. I just wish I had it before I booked West Palm Beach :banghead:

I fly SW and Delta and have corresponding CCs. As much as I travel I really don't have too many issues with either.

I don't fly a ton, but most if it is on JetBlue. My flights are all short, so it takes forever to get a trip, but overall the service has been pretty good.

• Admin
My United Explorer and AA Platinum cards came in while I was gone.
Some solid benefits with them.

My United Explorer and AA Platinum cards came in while I was gone.
Some solid benefits with them.

You will still fly Zone 2 on Delta. :alien:

Not with an injury or an expired delta Amex card in your wallet :)

Haha. I did book my MC trip tonight with my companion certificate which was nice.

I am a big fan of Alaska Airlines. I have their credit card and had their debit card until they cancelled the program recently. I am just shy of 400,000 miles.

United announced this morning that starting in 2015, their FF program is going to fare-based earning as opposed to miles flown. Same as Delta announced earlier this year.

We are with Alaska Airlines. With the annual fee we get a $119 companion ticket and earn points for flights. Those points can be used on other carriers, too. The wife has her own card which gives us two companion tickets, which makes flying the four of us to Vegas at spring break each year financially doable.

For those that are on United or AA programs (and I am sure the rest too), the dining programs associated with them are a great way to pick up some quick miles. For United and AA, you get 500 miles just to sign up and then if you spend $30 in the 1st 30 days you get an additional amount (in this case its 3000) I believe.

Its pretty easy, just register with a card and then go to the restaurant and pay with that card.

I used AmEx points for part of our travel to Florida. Portland to Palm Beach isn't the easiest route but still, it cost me almost 55K points and another $55 in cash for two 1 way tickets. Since it didn't cost me anything to get the card and they basically gave me 50K points with nominal purchases, I don't regret the move. But I think I'll dump the card after we take this trip because my perception is the rewards program doesn't give you the greatest value (I could be off on that, just my impression).

I'm also going to dump the SWA promotional card, but only because it will get me in the queue sooner to be able to sign up for their next big promotional offer.

AlaskaAir remains the long term program in the T4K household because of their $119 companion tickets.

For those that are on United or AA programs (and I am sure the rest too), the dining programs associated with them are a great way to pick up some quick miles. For United and AA, you get 500 miles just to sign up and then if you spend $30 in the 1st 30 days you get an additional amount (in this case its 3000) I believe.

Its pretty easy, just register with a card and then go to the restaurant and pay with that card.

Quoting myself here. Picked up the bonuses pretty easily. Went for sushi last night and had them split the bill into two cards. The bill was $62 so both signup bonuses were met. Hello bonus miles.

Thanks for that tip dude! Signed up for southwest rapid rewards for good and Kelsey and I will go to dinner Sunday and meet the bonus as well!

Thanks for that tip dude! Signed up for southwest rapid rewards for good and Kelsey and I will go to dinner Sunday and meet the bonus as well!

Yeah, even if you never use it again, the bonus for a single meal is great.
FWIW, I know you are a Hilton guy and they have one too.

Oh nice I'll look at that too. Not exactly a Hilton guy by choice but I don't mind the benefits

Oh United and your silly little games.
First off, I am BEGGING these places to get anybody that can speak English. I dont think its too much to ask for Domestic only travel.
Being transferred to 6 different people because the first two only spoke Spanish is absurd.
Then, I am trying to upgrade with miles two separate flights for two different people.
Orlando to San Diego stopping in Houston.
Cleveland to San Diego stopping in Houston.

I specifically ask can I just do the Orlando to Houston part because I got a tough seat and a short layover.
No, you cannot. You can only do full legs.
Okay, I will do the full leg.
Well sir, the Houston to San Diego leg is full, but waiting list might work.
Okay, if it doesnt do I get a portion of the miles and dollars back?
Yes, you will get half.
Okay, that sounds good.
Can I speak to a manager since I want to do the next passenger.
Sure thing here is hte manager.
Okay, I want to do 2 passengers upgrades.
Oh sir, the Cleveland to Houston flight is booked, but the Houston to San Diego has spots.
Wait, what? The last guy just said Houston to San Diego was full.
Oh sir, that is right its now full.
So I can get Cleveland to San Diego via Houston and Orlando to San Diego via Houston with 3 legs being waiting list and one being confirmed?
Yes, you can sir.
And if I do that and none get confirmed, do I get a portion of my dollars and miles back?
Oh no sir, that is not the case.

Do you guys even talk to each other and explain what the other one is saying?
Yes sir we do.
Then why are you telling me something completely different than what he just did?
Sir, I dont understand
Thank you, I will call and speak to someone later. Do you know if I go to the airport and speak to reservations if I can do this and understand the person?
No sir, you must do it now with us.
I cant, you guys dont know what you are doing. I would have done it with the last guy that said I would get points back, you told me legs are available that are not, and want me to spend miles and dollars for a wait list. Does not make a lot of sense unless I am going to get refunded a portion.

sounds like a company I'd like to deal with all the time.

g1333060359684120787.jpg

Back