Al Pastor tacos...

Al Pastor are the gage with which I judge a restaurant. I’m fortunate, there are several choices within minutes of my work place.

The best Al Pastor I have ever had was in Chicago at Rick Bayless place.

The best was in that hole in the wall in Austin. Mmmmm.

That was impressive too. Either of those two are the best I have ever had.
Had really good in Southern California. Really good in Arizona. Really good in Florida.

But the two best are those two. Man those were great meals.

@JB and @golfunfiltered
I'll see your al pastor and raise you these,
I do these with smoked lobster a couple times a summer....mmmm!

It was so long ago, I don't remember the name or even where exactly it was. I believe we were at a golf course in hill country, I think that's what it's called. Sorry!
No worries. There are a ton of great taco joints here now, so if you guys ever venture back this way I will have some good suggestions.

No worries. There are a ton of great taco joints here now, so if you guys ever venture back this way I will have some good suggestions.

It was in a strip mall, with in a mile or two of a large RV park (we had the 40 ft Tour Van back then) and it was small. Maybe 10-12 tables. Food was absolutely insane.

... are the best tacos. This is indisputable. Posting it here for public record.
Hard to argue - we tried to get into La Lupita at the Art Walk in San Jose del Cabo last night, but they were packed. Here are their choices in that category (The shell in the Cheese Crust Pastor is just that, a crispy shell made out of cheese!):

SANTO PASTOR

Marinated Pork, Cilantro, Onion, Pineapple, Yellow Corn

CHEESE CRUST PASTOR

Marinated Pork, Asadero Cheese Crust, Cilantro, Onion, Pineapple

LA GRINGA

Marinated Pork, Asadero Cheese, Cilantro, Onion, Pineapple, Flour

CRUNCHY VOLCANO

Marinated Pork, Cheese, Cecina, Chorizo, Crispy Corn

It was in a strip mall, with in a mile or two of a large RV park (we had the 40 ft Tour Van back then) and it was small. Maybe 10-12 tables. Food was absolutely insane.
Well, I hope I stumble across it someday. There is a place that fits this, but I don't think its been around that long. I consider it the best tacos I have ever had and their Al Pastor is amazing. The guy is from Mexico City and everything is authentic.

Well, I hope I stumble across it someday. There is a place that fits this, but I don't think its been around that long. I consider it the best tacos I have ever had and their Al Pastor is amazing. The guy is from Mexico City and everything is authentic.

Yeah at this place they didn't speak much English, so we told them to bring us basically one of everything. 8-10 years later we are still talking about it.

no, they're not the best. they're absolutely delicious, though.

Yep Al Pastor is the way to go...not sure about this pineapple business though. Just onions and cilantro.

I was always under the impression that traditional al Pastor has pineapple.
Not that I'm aware of unless it varies by region. My wife's family has never made or ordered them that way. The standard at authentic taco places around here is also just onion and cilantro.

Gotta love Al Pastor. Lucky enough to live within walking distance of SF's two best taquerias, but my wife and belly might disagree.

Have never had that particular taco but really want to try it after looking it up. Made chorizo tacos tonight and have enough left to devour more tomorrow night.

What is an Al Pastor Taco?
A franchise taco joint?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is an Al Pastor Taco?
A franchise taco joint?

Tacos made from this

292b83b3c8c9a44a80b3f289aa76abe7.jpg

I am not googling so I will guess, is that a huge meat roll?

In essence, yeah. Marinated meat stacked up and rotating against a flame and cut off into individual tortillas.

In essence, yeah. Marinated meat stacked up and rotating against a flame and cut off into individual tortillas.

I wish we had that here sounds good

Back