Alabama QB Bryce Young At Almost $1 Million In Endorsement Fees

DataDude

I Hate LIV
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Geez! I hope these kids are smart and stow a lot of it away or invest it

I know I was dumb having 1000 in my account at 20, can't imagine the stupid crap I would've bought with a mil+

Saban said he hasn’t played yet! This is a double edged sword most likely but dropping that tidbit probably makes his job recruiting even that much easier.

It’s interesting because he hasn’t started a game at QB. Also, Saban is smart enough to divulge this figure as it is, at least for Alabama, a great recruiting tool. (As if Saban needed another edge in that department)

It’s interesting because he hasn’t started a game at QB. Also, Saban is smart enough to divulge this figure as it is, at least for Alabama, a great recruiting tool. (As if Saban needed another edge in that department)
Yeah, there is ABSOLUTELY a recruiting tool aspect to it.

Yeah, it will help big historic schools and schools in big cities. Can't imagine K-state in Manhattan, KS will be able to compete, but that's not something new. The sad thing is some schools are doing things to support the kids and educate them, but i'm sure others aren't doing crap. And I suspect the contracts these kids sign have tons of 'outs' for the companies, aka that kid doesn't win the starting job, cut. He posts something dumb online, cut. He throws 3 picks against Miami in the opener 🤞👃🤞, cut.

I predict in about 12 months we'll be hearing a story about how XYZ kids are unavailable for the 2022 football season because they forgot to pay their taxes.

He should pay tuition now then.

Sad to hear college sports going to this.

now recruiting will be about endorsement opportunities! :(

Sad to hear college sports going to this.

now recruiting will be about endorsement opportunities! :(

I can understand the sentiment but this is the new reality.

System like MLB should be enacted where athlete must choose between school and compensation

Good. If he’s projected to start for Bama his value is way higher than that.

He should pay tuition now then.
100% agree

I have no issues with the new rules for college athletes, but the stipulation should be if you accept money from endorsements you automatically forfeit all scholarships and must pay full tuition. Let that money move to the other students that are not getting endorsements.

His scholarship can go to a walk-on, or an athlete in a different sport with less scholarship money available.
So should athletic scholarships be means tested now?

The entire idea of funds from these "supported" schools is to help those that excel in an area that might not be able to otherwise afford or to reward. Seems to me his reward was a huge paycheck.

100% agree

I have no issues with the new rules for college athletes, but the stipulation should be if you accept money from endorsements you automatically forfeit all scholarships and must pay full tuition. Let that money move to the other students that are not getting endorsements.
But in-state tuition at UNC is $7K and out of state tuition is $35K. Surely can’t be that black and white.

So should athletic scholarships be means tested now?
Not necessarily. But if a team is only able to give a certain number of scholarships, taking one from someone who is now clearly more than capable of paying his own way can be used to recruit one more player, who may have the talent, but won't be able to get the endorsements.

I disagree with JB on this. He was recruited because Bama felt he would help the program win. That is all they care about. Winning in turn helps the school with tv revenue, student enrollment etc. It would be nice if he did pay his way but he has earned the right to make his money. That was someones choice to pay him. And they paid him because they think it will help their product or it will help the program. The kid could be injured and his ability to make money will change quickly.
Most aren't making anywhere close to this kind of money.

The entire idea of funds from these "supported" schools is to help those that excel in an area that might not be able to otherwise afford or to reward. Seems to me his reward was a huge paycheck.
I would argue that the Alabama football team hasn't really been engaging in "supporting" people that couldn't otherwise go to college for a long time. It is a billion dollar Enterprise that generates nearly $200 million in revenue every year. The only amateurs in college sports were the athletes (at least over the table). Now they are not. That's the only thing that has changed here. Major college sports are a professional game now.

But in-state tuition at UNC is $7K and out of state tuition is $35K. Surely can’t be that black and white.
Tuition is not 7K instate. It's closer to 24K.Not sure of out of state but bet its more. i just had one graduate instate from NC State. Also a state school. Now if someone wants to pay for my other twins tuition at Duke please be my guest.

I disagree with JB on this. He was recruited because Bama felt he would help the program win. That is all they care about. Winning in turn helps the school with tv revenue, student enrollment etc. It would be nice if he did pay his way but he has earned the right to make his money. That was someones choice to pay him. And they paid him because they think it will help their product or it will help the program. The kid could be injured and his ability to make money will change quickly.

So in other words, if fill in the blank college decided to give Bill Gates a football scholarship and just say "he earned it" nobody would be up in arms? No clucking chance. Every person would be screaming that he has plenty of money and he was taking from others.

Tuition is not 7K instate. It's closer to 24K.Not sure of out of state but bet its more. i just had one graduate instate from NC State. Also a state school. Now if someone wants to pay for my other twins tuition at Duke please be my guest.
Your twins could pay for their own college.

Back