Alabama QB Bryce Young At Almost $1 Million In Endorsement Fees

All players that sign endorsement deals should be pulled from scholarship and have to pay for their "education".
If a Computer Science student on full academic scholarship works for a HFT firm during the school year using their computer science/coding skills, should they also have to pay for their education?

What's the argument
I agree with you. Genuine question though. Why not just rid the game of free rides and offer cash incentive instead? The participants then learn some life skills and teams could be involved with the financial side of it. It could partially level the playing field. Give some incentive to those that work harder in school to get scholarship through academics. Why does playing a sport mean free education, since the reasoning previously was that many athletes could not afford further education.
I think that's the next step, but people are already freaking out about kids getting paid by companies. It'll get really bad when it comes straight from the school.

If a Computer Science student on full academic scholarship works for a HFT firm during the school year using their computer science/coding skills, should they also have to pay for their education?
The anger people have about kids getting paid is hilarious to me.

What's the argument

I think that's the next step, but people are already freaking out about kids getting paid by companies. It'll get really bad when it comes straight from the school.

Not everybody has that feeling.
My argument is the short sidedness of fans not realizing the miss...Compound that with tax dollars in play and there is certainly a right to question things.

I agree with you. Genuine question though. Why not just rid the game of free rides and offer cash incentive instead? The participants then learn some life skills and teams could be involved with the financial side of it. It could partially level the playing field. Give some incentive to those that work harder in school to get scholarship through academics. Why does playing a sport mean free education, since the reasoning previously was that many athletes could not afford further education.
I’m with you here. I think there should be some sort of tiered system where scholarship money is phased out as endorsement money increases. But sheesh it was hard enough to get this kids to keep their grades up before, I wonder if this will impact academic eligibility numbers…

Not everybody has that feeling.
My argument is the short sidedness of fans not realizing the miss...Compound that with tax dollars in play and there is certainly a right to question things.
My biggest fear is schools not educating the kids on all these deals. Hopefully they don't get taken advantage of by some shady folks for a quick buck as well as the tax implications as you mentioned.

Just make them independent contractors who provide their skills to the school. Don't even make them be students.

Just make them independent contractors who provide their skills to the school. Don't even make them be students.
I mean, isn't that already pretty much the case? It doesn't take much to figure out that a lot of the athletes aren't graduating with much of an actual education. Sure seems like there's a lot of "assistance" and very sympathetic teachers involved.

This whole thing is a Pandora's Box, it'll be interesting to watch it unfold.

Nick Saban stated QB Bryce Young has already signed almost $1 million in endorsements for the coming season before he has even been named the starter (officially).

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...-endorsement-deals-says-head-coach-nick-saban
Thats one of the things that concerns me with NIL. The rich are going to get richer and get even more of the best recruits because they can promise them more endorsement money.
Thats not to say that I think NIL is a bad idea. These schools are getting rich off of these kids and they deserve to make money off of their names but I could see NIL being a room boom for the big schools and hurting the smaller schools.

Yeah, it will help big historic schools and schools in big cities. Can't imagine K-state in Manhattan, KS will be able to compete, but that's not something new. The sad thing is some schools are doing things to support the kids and educate them, but i'm sure others aren't doing crap. And I suspect the contracts these kids sign have tons of 'outs' for the companies, aka that kid doesn't win the starting job, cut. He posts something dumb online, cut. He throws 3 picks against Miami in the opener 🤞👃🤞, cut.

I predict in about 12 months we'll be hearing a story about how XYZ kids are unavailable for the 2022 football season because they forgot to pay their taxes.
I agree with your prediction. Players want the $$ but none of the responsibilities and that’s the University’s fault? A year ago, I would have agreed that it was partly the universities fault for not educating the athletes more and preparing them for life after college sports.

The “student athletes” are savvy enough to retain employees (lawyers/agents) to represent them… why not a financial team? Or do they not want responsibilities that come with the money?

Don’t want to pay for an accountant? They’re at a university for $#^% sake… Take a class in financial management…. Someone remind them they’re now being paid AND on full scholarship, so those classes are free. Perhaps taking a class may be too much to ask given their busy schedules and limited time due to practice, games and sponsor obligations. 🙄

Agree with you. I’ll go you one further, and think I think I’ve said this before. Turn the programs into a sports franchise, owned by the university. Pay the players and treat the league for what it is… the feeder system for the big leagues.
If an athlete wants to avail themselves of an education, by all means, make that available to them.

Wait until “equality of pay” crap kicks in. It’s gonna be a hoot......

So this was a good investment assuming you can quantify the ROI 😬

He earned it

Back