Alabama QB Bryce Young At Almost $1 Million In Endorsement Fees

I would argue that the Alabama football team hasn't really been engaging in "supporting" people that couldn't otherwise go to college for a long time. It is a billion dollar Enterprise that generates nearly $200 million in revenue every year. The only amateurs in college sports were the athletes (at least over the table). Now they are not. That's the only thing that has changed here. Major college sports are a professional game now.

I would STRONGLY disagree with that. Stars sure. There are a lot of kids on that roster that have no chance of going to the next level and getting that education is important to them, despite what boosters and fans think. Each school has a limited amount of them and here is a chance to increase it. Its short sided by fans to not see the larger picture for their school.

Tuition is not 7K instate. It's closer to 24K.Not sure of out of state but bet its more. i just had one graduate instate from NC State. Also a state school. Now if someone wants to pay for my other twins tuition at Duke please be my guest.
I was talking strictly “tuition fees” that I pulled from their site. Regardless, my numbers may be off but my point still stands.

So in other words, if fill in the blank college decided to give Bill Gates a football scholarship and just say "he earned it" nobody would be up in arms? No clucking chance. Every person would be screaming that he has plenty of money and he was taking from others.
I 100% agree with you. I wanted to piggyback, people (coaches & ADs & boosters & chancellors) need to stop acting like education is an important part of this scenario. Nobody at the universities graduate players.

So in other words, if fill in the blank college decided to give Bill Gates a football scholarship and just say "he earned it" nobody would be up in arms? No clucking chance. Every person would be screaming that he has plenty of money and he was taking from others.
At OU they provided Drake Stoops with a scholarship, and everyone knows that he would be able to afford the tuition and everything no problem. No one seems to be overly upset with that?

Now if you just give a rich person a scholarship with no talent what so ever to help the team? I don't think that would go over well. But why would you give a scholarship to someone that was not deserving with talent and hard work?

At OU they provided Drake Stoops with a scholarship, and everyone knows that he would be able to afford the tuition and everything no problem. No one seems to be overly upset with that?

Now if you just give a rich person a scholarship with no talent what so ever to help the team? I don't think that would go over well. But why would you give a scholarship to someone that was not deserving with talent and hard work?

It wasn't about having means and earning a scholarship. It was earning that scholarship in lieu of payment for this service. If larger payment is coming for the same service, it seems short sided not to use that scholarship for another athlete.

Its an assumption that said rich person wouldnt help a team. Maybe they are the best motivational person ever? Either way it was used as an example to identify this notion that people by and large are screaming about those with means getting a benefit that could go elsewhere. In this instance, my view is for the fans of those teams it is incredibly short term to not realize how much more another scholarship athlete could assist.

It wasn't about having means and earning a scholarship. It was earning that scholarship in lieu of payment for this service. If larger payment is coming for the same service, it seems short sided not to use that scholarship for another athlete.

Its an assumption that said rich person wouldnt help a team. Maybe they are the best motivational person ever? Either way it was used as an example to identify this notion that people by and large are screaming about those with means getting a benefit that could go elsewhere. In this instance, my view is for the fans of those teams it is incredibly short term to not realize how much more another scholarship athlete could assist.
I agree, but there would have to some phaseout for tuition forfeit, correct? I’m not overly familiar with the fine print of the rules change, but are student-athletes required to keep strict records of all of the sponsorship income? This would require that to be immediately communicated to the school. I really hope nobody tries to take advantage of this whole thing.

I agree, but there would have to some phaseout for tuition forfeit, correct? I’m not overly familiar with the fine print of the rules change, but are student-athletes required to keep strict records of all of the sponsorship income? This would require that to be immediately communicated to the school. I really hope nobody tries to take advantage of this whole thing.

Tries to take advantage? Its already happening and this is going to turn into one giant **** show of complete nonsense. More so than it already is, which says a lot.

I would argue that the Alabama football team hasn't really been engaging in "supporting" people that couldn't otherwise go to college for a long time. It is a billion dollar Enterprise that generates nearly $200 million in revenue every year. The only amateurs in college sports were the athletes (at least over the table). Now they are not. That's the only thing that has changed here. Major college sports are a professional game now.

I don't want to talk football on a golf forum, but ... As a Bama alum and season ticket holder, I can assure you that Alabama has, arguably, the best support system for its student athletes in the country. Saban, in particular, is all about preparing athletes for the future, outside of sports, with a plethora of academic and life-related efforts to support them. The man is relentless in developing the athlete as a person as well as coaching them to be the best player they can be.

That makes sense. I wasn’t sure if I totally understood everything you were trying to convey.
In that instance would you stipulate that a scholarship is good unless you make over a certain amount in NIL deals?

Tries to take advantage? Its already happening and this is going to turn into one giant **** show of complete nonsense. More so than it already is, which says a lot.
Yea there are going to be bad players in the sponsors, sponsored, and schools. I guess my hope is that the schools provide appropriate resources for the kids.

I don't want to talk football on a golf forum, but ... As a Bama alum and season ticket holder, I can assure you that Alabama has, arguably, the best support system for its student athletes in the country. Saban, in particular, is all about preparing athletes for the future, outside of sports, with a plethora of academic and life-related efforts to support them. The man is relentless in developing the athlete as a person as well as coaching them to be the best player they can be.
And if Alabama football became a 4th place team in the division but graduated 99% of players with academic honors, Saban would be fired.

That makes sense. I wasn’t sure if I totally understood everything you were trying to convey.
In that instance would you stipulate that a scholarship is good unless you make over a certain amount in NIL deals?

Sure would. You make 250k in sponsorship dollars, you pay your entire ticket.
You make 100k in sponsorship dollars you pay only tuition.

Even money odds on Saban using the $1,000,000 NIL money potential as a recruiting tool in the next round of visits.

I would STRONGLY disagree with that. Stars sure. There are a lot of kids on that roster that have no chance of going to the next level and getting that education is important to them, despite what boosters and fans think. Each school has a limited amount of them and here is a chance to increase it. Its short sided by fans to not see the larger picture for their school.
I can see this argument, but where do you draw the line at? How many endorsements before a player has to pay their own tuition?

My philosophy on the economy is that everyone should be able to make as much money as they can all the time. If someone wants to give you money for your service they ought to be able to, no strings attached. This seems to match that requirement.

He is worth a scholarship to Alabama. They gave it to him. He is also worth $1 million in endorsements as well. Before this year he was forbidden to receive this money. Think about all the lives that could have been improved over the last 40 years if this market would have been operating freely? Instead of that coaches and AD's have largely received the vast majority of this wealth because the hands it could have gone into were not allowed to take it. $1 million dollars is enough for this young man to purchase his first home with cash and start his family down a path of prosperity for generations to come. Now these players can not only educate themselves but they can start nest eggs that can put their children on firm foundations as well.

It was earning that scholarship in lieu of payment for this service.
This has never been stated explicitly by anyone associated with the NCAA. Fans that don't want college athletes to be professionals have used this argument. They have also argued that a schokarship is fair and full payment for all that a college athlete does. $1 million to Bryce Young says that Alabama was getting him for $1 million less than he was worth.

And if Alabama football became a 4th place team in the division but graduated 99% of players with academic honors, Saban would be fired.

Last year, Bama football was a 1st place team with an 88% GSR, so I guess his job is safe for at least another year. :D

This has never been stated explicitly by anyone associated with the NCAA. Fans that don't want college athletes to be professionals have used this argument. They have also argued that a schokarship is fair and full payment for all that a college athlete does. $1 million to Bryce Young says that Alabama was getting him for $1 million less than he was worth.

Nobody said they did.
But if its not, what would be the reason that schools would offer scholarships to athletes? And then rid those that couldn't perform? Because they are nice people?
Again, fans are being short sided. I said nothing about not allowing payment, whether I agree with it or not.

I’d be curious how much of this money is tied to future commitments with winks and handshakes.

Last year, Bama football was a 1st place team with an 88% GSR, so I guess his job is safe for at least another year. :D
Which is great, but my point stands. If the GSR is high, but the win/loss is low, he would not be employed.

I’m not overly familiar with the fine print of the rules change, but are student-athletes required to keep strict records of all of the sponsorship income?

Student-athletes must report all NIL contracts to the athletics department through an app/platform in advance of signing AND receiving compensation from the NIL contracts.

My firm was just retained to do the contract work for a company owned by a fraternity brother of my Alabama law partner.

This is the real kicker - Compensation will be commensurate with the market value. Alabama's QB1 just set it for QBs.

Not sure I follow the logic. The kid at Bama did first earn a scholarship based on his ability on the field. Then there was a rule change and he took advantage of it. I dont know his financial situation prior to going to bama.I assume everyone knows Gates was loaded before he got the scholarship in your scenario. I still feel like the school comes out way ahead. They have this amazing talent and use it to attract the kids who pay full boat. I have had two D1 athletes. They could have used a few extra bucks by signing an autograph or something. They didnt have a spare second to work a job with practice ,lifting and studies.

Student-athletes must report all NIL contracts to the athletics department through an app/platform in advance of signing AND receiving compensation from the NIL contracts.
I’m sure that will be strictly adhered to just like coaches won’t give players money to host recruits and those recruiting trips won’t involve any illegal activities. This is a hornets nest and I hope it doesn’t explode because I’m happy to see student-athletes finally get some of the value that they provide to the schools.

Not sure I follow the logic. The kid at Bama did first earn a scholarship based on his ability on the field. Then there was a rule change and he took advantage of it. I dont know his financial situation prior to going to bama.I assume everyone knows Gates was loaded before he got the scholarship in your scenario. I still feel like the school comes out way ahead. They have this amazing talent and use it to attract the kids who pay full boat. I have had two D1 athletes. They could have used a few extra bucks by signing an autograph or something. They didnt have a spare second to work a job with practice ,lifting and studies.

You seem to be missing hte point. I did not say a student should or shouldn't be compensated. What I said was that a school has a limited supply of scholarships to offer. Someone getting paid huge sums of money certainly doesn't need that anymore and could better the program by adding an additional player.

FWIW, I think programs that rake in hundreds of millions of dollars for a game shouldn't need my tax dollars to stay in business either, but that is for a different discussion.

Someone getting paid huge sums of money

What is that amount? Just saying huge sums isn't really meaningful without a number. A kid picking up a few hundred or thousand here and there isn't going to be in the same boat as another getting $10K from the business and 25K from a couple of others, just as that kid isn't in the same boat as Bryce Young or someone else getting $50K or better a year.

Back