Alabama QB Bryce Young At Almost $1 Million In Endorsement Fees

This is all going to end so bad!

What is that amount? Just saying huge sums isn't really meaningful without a number. A kid picking up a few hundred or thousand here and there isn't going to be in the same boat as another getting $10K from the business and 25K from a couple of others, just as that kid isn't in the same boat as Bryce Young or someone else getting $50K or better a year.

Look up...

Look up...
DO you treat in-state and out-of-state kids differently? The tuition numbers and cost of attendance numbers are considerably different.

DO you treat in-state and out-of-state kids differently? The tuition numbers and cost of attendance numbers are considerably different.

Nope. Sure don't. While the cost to attend might be higher, my numbers listed indicate that they would have plenty in reserve. All while learning the valuable life lessons of bills, etc.

Without a minimum, having a select few on a team getting paid and others not, its going to be a **** show of in fighting, but that is not for me to decide and don't really care. Just like I am tired of my tax dollars paying for this, but again not my case here. My case is the shortsidedness of fans to not realize they are missing out on extra players so they can pound their chest of my guy gets XYZ dollars.

Class of 2023:
1626962566077.png

This has never been stated explicitly by anyone associated with the NCAA. Fans that don't want college athletes to be professionals have used this argument. They have also argued that a schokarship is fair and full payment for all that a college athlete does. $1 million to Bryce Young says that Alabama was getting him for $1 million less than he was worth.
Is he really worth $1 million though. If he decided to transfer right now to Utah is he still going to get $1 million? Of course not. He's getting that much because he will be the next quarterback at Alabama. It's not really his likeness but the position at the schools likeness. This is where I think the problems will come from. A mid-tier school won't have the same boosters offering to pay as one of the blue bloods. I think in a few years it will even further narrow the number of teams that can actually compete. It's basically being a professional sport with no salary caps.

Tuition is not 7K instate. It's closer to 24K.Not sure of out of state but bet its more. i just had one graduate instate from NC State. Also a state school. Now if someone wants to pay for my other twins tuition at Duke please be my guest.
You’re including room and board in your number, tuition only is much lower than the numbers your quoting.

It's not really his likeness but the position at the schools likeness. This is where I think the problems will come from. A mid-tier school won't have the same boosters offering to pay as one of the blue bloods.

I agree. What will Arch Manning be worth in 2023? Is he worth more at Ole Miss than he would be at LSU, Alabama, Texas or Clemson? What would he be worth at SMU, where he has also visited.

This is a logical extension. Wait until they start signing high school players to shoe deals.
The guy has millions of followers on social media. I’d love to do research and ROI projections for these companies! (I’m fully aware how boring that may sound)

Are Students on Academic Scholarships allowed to make $$ with their talent? Why would these kids no longer get a scholarship if they have deals? That is ludicrous. The Schools are still making the same money as they always did, it's just no longer with free labor.

I wonder how coachable millionaire teenagers are going to be..

Feels like this could do some serious developmental harm along the way for potential superstars.
The superstar athletes that will be getting big money through this were already receiving some kind of money below the table in the past and/or knew they would be receiving a boat load of money in 1-2 years, so I’m sure it won’t change the mindset of that individual player from a coach ability perspective.

Head Coaches getting paid 8 million a year. Assistant coaches a million. TV Networks making millions off college football. And the players get no legal monetary compensation. It was inevitable in this day and age big money would come the players way ... I go all the way back to listening to Alabama football with coach Bryant and Ken Stabler (The Snake) on AM radio. Only time will tell if this latest development will be good or bad for the game.

Last edited:
this is going to make college sports even more lopsided than it already is. Wowsa.
It will create what it already is. Major league college and true amatuer college athletics. Not suprisingly Oklahoma and Texas are already looking to join the SEC which is a sign of where this is going.

I wonder how coachable millionaire teenagers are going to be..

Feels like this could do some serious developmental harm along the way for potential superstars.
Hasn't this always been a thing? Was Michael Jordan more talented than Tracy McGrady? No, but he damn sure wanted it way more than him.

I don't understand the sentiment that college football/basketball as we know it is now over. The big programs always got the best recruits (the same 5-10 schools are always at the top of the recruiting rankings every year). Alabama/LSU/Georgia/OSU/OU/Notre Dame/Clemson were already getting the cream of the crop and that will remain true now that this NIL is in place.

I keep trying to write something that makes any sense about the current situation, but I can't. Not mad at the kids for wanting to capitalize, but this is going to be such a glorious mess. At least we'll all get to laugh at the NCAA as they ham hand their way through it.

Gonna be an interesting few years here for college football fans.

He should pay tuition now then.

All players that sign endorsement deals should be pulled from scholarship and have to pay for their "education".

All players that sign endorsement deals should be pulled from scholarship and have to pay for their "education".
I believe a gym in Miami is offering $500/month to everyone on the football team. Surely a player accepting a $6,000 deal shouldn’t have their entire scholarship voided.

I believe a gym in Miami is offering $500/month to everyone on the football team. Surely a player accepting a $6,000 deal shouldn’t have their entire scholarship voided.

I agree with you. Genuine question though. Why not just rid the game of free rides and offer cash incentive instead? The participants then learn some life skills and teams could be involved with the financial side of it. It could partially level the playing field. Give some incentive to those that work harder in school to get scholarship through academics. Why does playing a sport mean free education, since the reasoning previously was that many athletes could not afford further education.

Back