Alignment aids on golf balls

Clutch42

Happy to be here!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
14.4 usga
How many use the alignment aid or draw one yourself on your golf ball? I've never used one before, I always place the ball with nothing showing while putting, I thought it would be too distracting, but I've been toying with the idea of using the lines on the ball or adding my own. I've been working hard on my swing this past summer and now I need to improve my putting. Distance control is usually not a problem, a lot of my misses here lately have been barely off line, burning a lot of edges and I was wondering if using the alignment aids would help. What do you think THP?

hate it, too impatient and does nothing by distract me.

I can’t seem to putt without the lines nowadays. Alignment has always been my struggle and the lines help me. I used to use 1 line until Callaway Triple Track and now I use those balls.

I have never been a fan of seeing anything but white (or yellow) space on the ball when putting.

But, I just won a contest and was selected to test the new Trident Align system so will be open minded and give that a try after it arrives.

New-ghosting.jpg

No alignment aid for me. I can never get the line completely aligned right and then all it does is distract me when I'm standing over the ball.

I use one to align tee shots and putts, has helped me.

Love the triple track, used to draw 2 lines alongside the single line that went with it, triple track is better/more consistent and I don't have to reapply.

For me I set it up on my line, then square up the putter to that line and give it a rip.

Team Triple Track here. I use it for putting and off the tee.

I've used the "alignment" mark on the ball for as long as I can remember.

I've always used them...for me it takes that part of putting out of the equation and then i can focus on my speed.

Love the triple track, used to draw 2 lines alongside the single line that went with it, triple track is better/more consistent and I don't have to reapply.

For me I set it up on my line, then square up the putter to that line and give it a rip.

That's what I was thinking, sometimes I will second guess my line when I'm over the ball.

That's what I was thinking, sometimes I will second guess my line when I'm over the ball.

That was why I went to it, and it keeps me from second guessing myself once I get over the ball. I have no idea if I make more putts but I know I have less indecision over the ball.

i had a great conversation with @Luke WilliamsCG about triple track at the grandaddy.

i’ve never been a great putter. usually good with distance control, but rarely make much. always directional issues.

when triple track came out i tried it and loved it. i’ve been using it all year, and feel like i’ve probably had my best putting year ever when combined with the odyssey stroke lab tuttle.

fast forward to my putter fitting at the 2019 grandaddy with callaway. luke had me stroke a few putts so he could get a feel for my stroke. i wasn’t lining anything up, just putting. then he put a laser down my setup, and i was 4* closed to the target. basically, without serious compensations in my stroke i had no prayer of making anything. then i lined up the putts with triple track and my alignment improved to being inside the hole.

when we talked about this later, i equated it to a full swing lesson where your instructor tells you that your alignment is wrong. when he first gets you lined up correctly, it feels weird because you’ve grown accustomed to lining up incorrectly. with that poor alignment, you can still hit some quality golf shots, but it’s difficult to be consistent and causes other compensations in your swing. to me, putting is no different. when you use triple track and line up correctly, it may feel distracting and wrong because you’ve grown accustomed to lining up incorrectly.

i’ll just never understand the crowd that doesn’t want to make the game easier by lining up correctly. how could it impede a free stroke if you have removed the variable of line? shouldn’t you be freed up to just focus on speed knowing that the line is now good?

golfers are weird

No. But I probably should start learning to use them.

I tried using alignment lines on the ball but never felt comfortable and second guessed my aim when comparing how it looked from behind the ball to how it then looked at address

Maybe I should give this another try and try not to second guess myself and just go with the line I have picked

Add me to the Triple Track camp. Definitely seems to help my alignment. When I'm not using the Triple Track ball, though, I still use the alignment aid on the ball. What's weird (to me at least) is that I don't really fiddle to get the alignment 100% correct when placing the ball down. I use it more as just a general guide for the direction I want to start the putt on (but the exact line isn't necessary). I guess that's the part that's weird as I don't want to take a long time trying to exactly line up my putts due to pace of play.
The other part that's a little OC is that I always have to align the ball with the brand name oriented a certain direction. I tell myself that's to insure I'm rolling the ball always the same way, lol.

I like the alignment aids on the balls. Triple track is awesome and i am also really liking the new putting aid on the titleist ball. That matches up very well with my marxsman putter.

I like the alignment aids on the balls. Triple track is awesome and i am also really liking the new putting aid on the titleist ball. That matches up very well with my marxsman putter.

Another Marxman & Triple Track user here. I guess there are quite a few of is using TT.

If it fits you, I see no reason not to use the TT ball.

I putt with it, as well as use it to line up my tee shots.
Yes! This.. I actually think it helps more on the tee than on the green. The one thing I have found with putting is, I see the line on the ball then get over the putt and it doesn't look quite right. So I alter the line and tend to miss right where I changed my mind. It also helps me making the stroke by giving me a target for the putter head path.

If it helps, I'd certainly use it (and I do).

I've tried them...didn't like them....won't use them

If I am just out for the exercise and not being serious I rarely use the alignment on the ball. If I am being somewhat serious I use the line. By doing that the only thing I have to worry about is the speed.

I use one to align tee shots and putts, has helped me.

On tee shots it has helped me a lot with being aimed properly. I was always left of where i thought i was aimed.

I experimented with it one summer and for 20 rounds kept track of all my putting stats including putts per round and putts per green in regulation. With the alignment aid on the ball I putted worse by about 1/2 stroke per round.

What works for me is to pick a spot(blade of grass, blemish) on my intended line about 6-8 inches in front of my ball and focus on starting the ball over that spot. It makes every putt a straight putt.

I experimented with it one summer and for 20 rounds kept track of all my putting stats including putts per round and putts per green in regulation. With the alignment aid on the ball I putted worse by about 1/2 stroke per round.

What works for me is to pick a spot(blade of grass, blemish) on my intended line about 6-8 inches in front of my ball and focus on starting the ball over that spot. It makes every putt a straight putt.
Funny, that's one thing I used to do and have gotten away from over the last year. I'm going to experiment with the alignment aid some and see how it feels. Since I've started my lessons I've spent more time at the range and less on the putting green, could be part of the problem also.

Back