Alignment Sticks: Use them?

I have never purchased true alignment sticks or even used them. Then after noticing an issue during a video before all the covid craziness I purchased a couple of sticks from Home Depot for like $6. I'm not sure if they are longer than typical alignment sticks but pretty sure they are the same thing.
They are.

I have a set but they just sit in a closet. My ball goes where it pleases alignment sticks or not.

Got some driveway markers during my last visit to Home Depot to fix my fence. Haven't had a chance to use them much yet since it has been so wet out.

I found an old set of Masters Edition Callaway alignment sticks in the extras bags, going to put them to work today in the indoor

We have a few sets and I will take them out to The range. Our pitch area has flags at 90 yards and I will put a stick up at 40 yards and 60 or 70 yards to use as targets. It is nice to have something to aim at.

I do use one on the ground to help me with my alignment but not each time I am out.

I’m in the market for a new set as I have my last ones away to one of my HS kids as I pretty much demand they use and practice with a set.

Do you carry alignment sticks? Do you practice with them?
No. No

Theyre one of the vest visuals ever for getting golfers to realize you’re feet don’t or shouldn’t be aimed the same place your club face does.

I think I need to take a quick refresher on how to use alignment sticks. I believe anytime I used them, I had them pointing parallel with the target. If trying to hit it straight (not draw or fade), should the stick be pointing a little left of parallel to the target?

I think I need to take a quick refresher on how to use alignment sticks. I believe anytime I used them, I had them pointing parallel with the target. If trying to hit it straight (not draw or fade), should the stick be pointing a little left of parallel to the target?
If you use two sticks, the one for your ball path should be pointing at the target; the one for your stance should be parallel to it, which will have your feet aligned slightly left of the target.

Ok. Then I’ve been doing it correctly , phew. Thanks!

I have them and can’t even use them correctly! Lol
I still have to set them up to be properly aligned-Parellel left. I have to get out a tape measure etc. but I think it helps when I use them

I picked up a set of driveway markers from walmart. I've tried to use them at the range but I'm not sure how.

I use mine about 50% of the time on the range. +1 for the $4 ones from HD.

I was just looking for mine and they were apparently lost at some point. Today at Walmart, they had a Callaway pair of alignment sticks for $12.97. Just for the heck of it, I went through the auto department and found a pack of 4 orange/white rods that were very much like alignment sticks, with one end sharpened and the other end capped, and would definitely work for that purpose for $7.97.

I SHOULD use them but never really have. Maybe I'll get them next time.

I use mine every time I go to the range.
bd31d89b976e83a1fc96025d52dc9d5f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love my alignment stick when on the range. Use them every time.

Thanks for the post, @Jman. You reminded me that I left a stick on the range. Had to walk back and get it. You're the best!

I use mine every time I go to the range.
bd31d89b976e83a1fc96025d52dc9d5f.jpg

What type of range is that? Do they have nets in the water to catch the balls?

What type of range is that? Do they have nets in the water to catch the balls?

Nope. Floating balls. They have a boat that trails a net and scoops them up. It’s called The Islands Golf Center.

Nope. Floating balls. They have a boat that trails a net and scoops them up. It’s called The Islands Golf Center.

After spending some time at a range like that, island greens on a course would be no big deal. :LOL:

How much of a difference are the floating range balls compared to normal range balls?

The range at my home course is a lake with floaters and I hate them. The balls will fly in S patterns at times and I would guess that the average distance loss on the balls that fly straight is around 20%. I only use the range on that course to warm up before a round. When I want to use my alignment sticks and work on my game, I run across the street to the other course in my area and use their range. Grass, not mats, regular balls, not floaters.

The range at my home course is a lake with floaters and I hate them. The balls will fly in S patterns at times and I would guess that the average distance loss on the balls that fly straight is around 20%. I only use the range on that course to warm up before a round. When I want to use my alignment sticks and work on my game, I run across the street to the other course in my area and use their range. Grass, not mats, regular balls, not floaters.
That doesn't sound like fun... or that it can even tell you what your ball flight is for the day.

I bought one which I’ve been using. May need to add another soon

Haven't used mine in ages - although they are just the sticks you buy from Lowes.

I miss the range.
Buy the ones from Lowes/Home Depot and they're cheap. Buy the exact same thing from a golf shop, call them 'alignment sticks', and you pay twice as much for them!

Back