Alignment Sticks: Use them?

I've started using them more often following my thread on alignment with the driver. Turns out my body was aimed well left of target even though I would have bet my house on being straight down the line. I use them to get confidence that I'm not actually aiming 50 yards right of where I need to be, even though that's how it feels at the moment. Grind out the changes!!

i will be practicing with one to avoid over the top and working on the in to out movement in the offseason.

I’m going to be doing the same. Seemed like a good time to put some reps in and getting it to feel more natural.

I own a few pairs and did use them for a time but they got in the way in my bag so I'm back to using a club or two instead. I honestly don't spend that much time on the range anymore other than to warm up for 10 minutes before a round. My daughter always has a pair in her bag and uses them often.

Yes, and I put at least one down at the range for use.

Sooo these arrived yesterday

Woohoo!16099474780117177351340245121823.jpg
16099476222442515132553966574488.jpg

If I used a range where you could hit off grass, I would be interested to try something like those, but hitting off mats doesn't allow you to fix them in the ground

You don't need to fix them to the ground - you use that on the putting green. They hinge.

You don't need to fix them to the ground - you use that on the putting green. They hinge.
I was thinking of some I have seen used before in videos where they put them at angles to help people work on club plane during the swing

Are these ones not suitable for that type of thing? If so, my bad, I got them mixed up with something else I have seen

I was thinking of some I have seen used before in videos where they put them at angles to help people work on club plane during the swing

Are these ones not suitable for that type of thing? If so, my bad, I got them mixed up with something else I have seen

You can - but I don't use them for that purpose - you can use them as alignment sticks, on the putting green, but the plane thing, I don't know if it's that useful.

While I do like to use some kind of alignment aid when I'm hitting a lot of shots off line at the range; there's a piece of straight 1x1" wood that's used to divide the stalls at my range and I'll line that up for a few shots. Or, the classic method of putting the club down at your toes when you think you're aligned just to check.
In my mind, the problem is that there's still the challenge of hitting straight on the course without those aids and feeling comfortable with it. You have to get used to aligning yourself, based on the blade of grass or whatever that you've selected as your guide out in front of the ball, or whatever. So this is what I've been doing at the range mostly for a while; selecting an alignment point and lining my feet up with that.

I’m in the market for a new set as I have my last ones away to one of my HS kids as I pretty much demand they use and practice with a set.

Do you carry alignment sticks? Do you practice with them?
I bought and use these. I buy bulk because I give them to a lot of my players as well.

I have a set and use them at times. I find them really helpful to correct perception issues or plane problems. Ultimately, you have to play without their help. But I've found them helpful at judging the difference between perception and reality, real and feel.

Do they help? Well yesterday I holed out from 94 yards and have increased my percentage of fairways hit and proximity to the hole, so I'm a believer. This is a piece of what TrueMotionMatt is saying on another current thread. You've got to work, really work at the little things.

Last edited:
Back