Alligators on the Course

#troy

Jax, FL
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Lot's of members down in the south, Florida has some giants.

Let's scare the northerners with some dinosaur pictures.

this guy was laying on a tee box on Streamsong Blue.

IMG_20210329_111605.jpg

When I visited FL a few years ago I was really hoping to see a Gator on the course.... or a Florida Man. Disappointed I didn't encounter any of them.

There was a gator on a course i played in Houston several years back; just lounging right next to the water on the 9th hole.

I have them next to the house and on the courses. I had a nervous chip the other day, with one only a few feet away.

5F95E2E3-A04B-4702-B5DB-28B44A59BD39.jpeg

AD44348C-B0F5-4F24-B5C3-A9A86E5A0463.jpeg

Here in the mountains, there is one tournament where they put a blow up alligator in the pond. That's about as close as I need to be to one haha.

Our caddie was brave enough to walk past him before he stood up. He was a brave man.... lol

He was excited, being from New Jersey, not an every day occurrence.

View attachment IMG_1605.mp4

Our caddie was brave enough to walk past him before he stood up. He was a brave man.... lol

He was excited, being from New Jersey, not an every day occurrence.

View attachment 9000257

Yeah...this Mainer would have his .357 iron handy for his next shot! ;)

I was at Brook Green Gardens in Myrtle Beach several years ago. There was a little one a few feet long sunning itself at the end of a wooden walkway. I'll admit I probably got too close to it to get a picture. It was a few feet from me and I was on an elevated platform but still...

In the water, they're deadly. Don't go after errant balls... especially if you can't see in the water. They like to ambush you... they'll use golf balls as bait. Occasionally an enterprising gator will use an errant club to entice a golfer into an ambush if they're especially hungry.:ROFLMAO:

I was at Brook Green Gardens in Myrtle Beach several years ago. There was a little one a few feet long sunning itself at the end of a wooden walkway. I'll admit I probably got too close to it to get a picture. It was a few feet from me and I was on an elevated platform but still...

In the water, they're deadly. Don't go after errant balls... especially if you can't see in the water. They like to ambush you... they'll use golf balls as bait. Occasionally an enterprising gator will use an errant club to entice a golfer into an ambush if they're especially hungry.:ROFLMAO:
momma was there somewhere

That's a pretty good sized beast on Streamsong!

Back in the 70's and 80's my grandparents lived in Clearwater (Cove Cay?) My grandmother was playing golf with a friend from CT who hit a ball right next to a big 3 legged alligator - I guess he won a fight or two in his day! The other woman walked right up and whacked the 'gator on the snoot with her club :oops: The alligator just looked at her and slid back into the pond. Guess he must have eaten earlier that morning!! :ROFLMAO:

Lot's of members down in the south, Florida has some giants.

Let's scare the northerners with some dinosaur pictures.

this guy was laying on a tee box on Streamsong Blue.

View attachment 9000249
Between 12 and 13? If so, that's probably the big guy our caddy told us about. Said he watched that one eat another gator on that cart path a while back. Or at least fought and dragged him away.

Between 12 and 13? If so, that's probably the big guy our caddy told us about. Said he watched that one eat another gator on that cart path a while back. Or at least fought and dragged him away.
I think so. It's the one down the very narrow path, water on both sides.

Dude that is a beast!

Guy in our regular group sent this one they saw on King & Bear here in St Augustine. Luckily his buddy wasn’t lunch.

45263E20-B6D0-4243-BF79-D7E9B655C663.jpeg

Back in 1965, Sports Illustrated did an article on a young Chubbs Peterson claiming he was going to be the next Arnold Palmer. Shortly after, he played a tournament down in Florida. He hooked his ball in the rough down by the lake. Damned alligator just popped up and cut him down in his prime. He survived the attack and stole one of the alligator's eyes.

Be careful out there.

When I visited FL a few years ago I was really hoping to see a Gator on the course.... or a Florida Man. Disappointed I didn't encounter any of them.
I'm pretty sure you encountered a Florida Man and just didn't even know it.

That's a pretty good sized beast on Streamsong!

Back in the 70's and 80's my grandparents lived in Clearwater (Cove Cay?) My grandmother was playing golf with a friend from CT who hit a ball right next to a big 3 legged alligator - I guess he won a fight or two in his day! The other woman walked right up and whacked the 'gator on the snoot with her club :oops: The alligator just looked at her and slid back into the pond. Guess he must have eaten earlier that morning!! :ROFLMAO:

I think must have lost one at some point too.

I grew up playing golf in Orlando, so I was used to gators wherever there was a body of water. But now they've been in Texas for 10+ years and we're seeing them more and more - it was quite rare years ago.

That's a big one..
The video of the incident is even more comical. His buddy thought it was a statue...tapped it with the golf club...it didn't move. Then he lifted the tail and the gator took off into the water. He is lucky he still has an arm otherwise he could be a double in Happy Gilmore 2.

Pretty sure I would prefer gators over rattlesnakes.
Any day my man any day. When we checked in for our saturday morning round the starter said...be careful out there the Cottonmouths are hatching. Lets just say if it wasnt in the fairway I wasn't looking for it.

Back