Alligators on the Course

"Don't mind me, just passing through"
DSC_6439.JPG

785D6AA4-71DD-4A25-8B70-F88F52B3BC5E.jpeg

When it’s no longer cart path only. 9.5ft

I'm headed to Myrtle Beach this weekend, from Iowa. I'm sure I'll see some gators. The prospect of gators doesn't bother me. My wife won't be happy to see them, however. She'll be scared chitless.
My wife played golf with the guys in Hilton Head a few years ago. She did not like the tee boxes adjacent to ponds especially with water behind her as she tee'd off. She said, "Will you come over hear & watch behind me?" I said, "They're not velociraptors!"

Then she paused and said, "Oh great! now I'm worried about velociraptors!" :eek:

There was a big gator in the pond next to the 18th at True Blue on Pawleys in SC. Only saw the head and tail in the water and proudly told the starter we saw two gators. He laughed and told us that was one...huge gator.

I think seeing a gator on a course near me or my ball would scare the living daylights out of me and I would probably just take a stroke and distance penalty.

I think seeing a gator on a course near me or my ball would scare the living daylights out of me and I would probably just take a stroke and distance penalty.
Chicken ****!
Lol. Just kidding. Not sure how I'm gonna react either. I'll find out on Sunday, hopefully.

Pretty sure I would prefer gators over rattlesnakes.
I'm not sure. I see some of those big gators and it doesn't look good. But at least you can see them, as you come up near them. The rattlers are scary and you don't necessarily see them until it's too late. So I guess I'm with you, rattlers are worse.

I see plenty every time I go to Myrtle Beach. Plenty of gators there :eek:

These are some awesome photos. We encountered a few at Haig Point, the site of the 2019 Morgan Cup.

04D6DF9E-F7ED-4D57-AEE1-1A648FCB5E8E.jpegAA78DA07-397E-4067-997D-E6D4418AE193.jpegFC241967-4F15-4042-818A-57FB5EA06383.jpeg

I encountered not only alligators, but a couple of crocodiles while playing Crandon Golf at Key Biscayne in November of 2019.

B3DF000B-39F0-428A-BAAF-480A2ED5D518.jpegF46F1F60-170E-4284-AD58-3DD29DD98F86.jpeg

EA3160F8-89F1-4BFE-A397-66C3D970EC0F.jpeg2566EF5C-B700-4DEB-9632-E3B0E08D055D.jpegFDBA4DE7-9083-40B7-A7EC-6A1E062A3912.jpeg

That is a cool pic! I am assuming you just wait them out lol

We saw him on the tee in the water. He decided to relocate as we hit greenside, we were all just watching him stroll across the rough on this par 3. Don’t mind him!

Now that's a brave turtle!

no the gators don’t bother the turtles. At least not once they reach adulthood. Alligators typically only like one type of turtle here in the Lowcountry country anyhow. much rather have fish and deer or peoples dogs

Man, I don't understand how people can live in and around gators. They scare the f**k out of me. In my book a dead gator is a good gator.

Serious question, how close do you guys get to gators when hitting a shot? How close is too close?

My grandma, before she died, had a lake house Louisiana. Gators each day would sunbathe in her yard and in her 80s would chase them out of her yard so they didn’t kill the grass.

Saw 2 gators at Heritage Golf Course in Myrtle Beach, today. Neither were very big. The bigger one was probably 9' from nose to tail. Big enough that I wasn't grabbing his tail, that's for sure.

Attachments

• PXL_20210404_200538348.jpg
    PXL_20210404_200538348.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 9
  • PXL_20210404_190849871.jpg
    PXL_20210404_190849871.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 9
Man, I don't understand how people can live in and around gators. They scare the f**k out of me. In my book a dead gator is a good gator.

Serious question, how close do you guys get to gators when hitting a shot? How close is too close?

Bit of feel, honestly. If it’s within the body length, I’m good. If it’s 10-15ft away, and facing the other way, we’re good. Like yeah, get my yardages and such but before I go into my stance, and before I take the club back, give the little buddy one more glance back. I don’t want him to bother me just as much as he doesn’t want me bothering him.

They can charge aggressively. But they’re sluggish a bit until then.

We’ve gotta combine this thread with the dumbest thing I’m likely to do thread.

I’m feeling it! No gators around though and unless a THP experience don’t see me playing anywhere with Gators this year. Sadly. (And there goes any chance of being selected for a southern THP event, 🤣)

I will watch at least 3 YouTube videos prior to attempting!

I wish I had a photo of the hole during the THP event in Lake Charles. There was one hole where it was really nervewracking. There wasn't just one gator on that hole. There were a dozen. Yes, my tee shot landed near one. Hell no I didn't hit it.

I wish I had a photo of the hole during the THP event in Lake Charles. There was one hole where it was really nervewracking. There wasn't just one gator on that hole. There were a dozen. Yes, my tee shot landed near one. Hell no I didn't hit it.

Lol! I wouldn’t even call you on that one. One alligator? Maybe. A dozen? Nope.

Lol! I wouldn’t even call you on that one. One alligator? Maybe. A dozen? Nope.

These weren't wee ones either. They were all on the larger side. If someone got bored and wanted to find that thread, maybe someone got a photo of that hole. Either way, yiiiikes

Back