Allow myself to introduce...myself!

MNMarc

Reaction score
For my 500th post point, I figured I would give you all an idea of who I am. My name is Marc Dawson and I live in MN with my WAY to good for me wife and two daughters. Some of you may recognize my screen name from bumping really old food posts about horse meat and gifs/memes. I try to make life more fun!

I became an Albatross member in January because my little-bigger brother MattyD-MPLS (Dimples) ranted and raved about it so much. He‘s won some nice items, a golf trip to Coeur D’Alene last year, and is this year’s Captain of the Grand Daddy so I was easily convinced. Having been a part of THP these past two months has been awesome. There are a lot of great topics being discussed, reviews, recommendations, and the THP experiences look amazing which really sets this group apart from other sites.

I grew up around the game of golf on a little 9 hole course in SW Minnesota that was a par 34. During the summers, my parents would drive to the course and head off to play a round with their friends leaving my brother Matt and I to either golf or look for golf balls. I would consider myself a self-taught golfer because I was a stubborn kid and didn’t listen to my dad’s golf tips. Both of my parents were quite good (old news pic attached) so I should have listened a little more. Maybe my current swing wouldn’t be so funky now.

I played a lot back then and really fell in love with the game. I liked the fact that golf was an individual sport and I only had to rely on my skills alone. When I turned 15, we moved to another city about 20 minutes away because they had a high school golf team. I had a decent high school golf career and made it to State my Jr. and Sr. seasons, but I played awful both years at the state tournament. In college, I tried out for the university team once and didn’t make it so I started playing in more local tournaments. The nice thing about growing up in a rural area is that they pay cash for tournaments so that was pretty much my summer job. I also worked on the grounds crew at our local course which was a great experience.

During college, my then girlfriend, now wife worked as a bev-cart girl at a semi-private course just south of Minneapolis so I spent a lot of time there taking advantage of free golf. I got to know the GM pretty well and he offered me the Asst Golf Professional position and I took it. During the first off-season, the Head Pro took another job at a different course and I guess I won the Head Golf Professional job by default. In all honesty, the Head Golf Professional was just a fancy title at this particular club. The position was more of a golf course manager that ran the shop, day to day golf, leagues, and tournaments. It wasn’t as glamorous as I had hoped. I did some lessons and ran a pretty successful Jr. golf program, but it wasn’t as much as other pros in the area. I spent just three years there and then headed down to Clearwater, FL one off-season and got a job at the Belleview Biltmore Golf Club in Belleair (now the Pelican Golf Club) and was hired as the Golf Sales Manager. The position focused on selling different organizations on having their tournaments there and working with area resorts to send their guests to our course along with working in the shop. I thought it was great because it was always warm and the golf season never ended! Unfortunately, this was also the down side of working at a course in Florida. They don’t take holidays off because of all the snowbirds so the course was always open and I’d get maybe 1 day off a week if I was lucky. I started to get burned out from the industry and I never really got to play that much golf so my wife and I decided to move back to MN to start a family.

While the golf business really didn’t work out for me back then, I wouldn’t have changed anything about it. I met a lot of great people in the industry and enjoyed that life to the fullest. Free golf and equipment was a nice perk too!

Once I had kids, golf took a back seat for about a decade. I maybe played 5-10 times a year if I was lucky and my game really went south. We joined a local golf club 2 years ago and I have started playing more frequently. My swing is still a work in progress, but I’m getting better. I ended last year with an index of 2.3 and I’m looking to go lower. I’m no where near my prime, but I’m back in to the game I love!

Thanks for reading a little about me and long live THP! Here’s my family and I along with the sticks I’m working with after getting fit at 2nd Swing last year.

Titleist TS2 Driver - 10.5 degree with a Mitsubishi Chemical Tensei AV Blue shaft

Callaway Epic Flash 3 wood - 15 degree with a Hzrdus Smoke shaft

Ping G410 hybrid - 19 degree Project X Even Flow shaft

Ping i500 4 and 5 irons with True Temper Dynamic Gold 120 stiff shafts

Ping iBLADES 6-PW with True Temper Dynamic Gold 120 stiff shafts

58, 52, and 50(adjusted to 49) degree Titleist Vokey SM7 black wedges

Scotty Cameron PhantomX 5 putter

Attachments

• 13E2A86D-B970-49AB-AE9F-FB1A84A162FB.jpeg
    13E2A86D-B970-49AB-AE9F-FB1A84A162FB.jpeg
    96.2 KB · Views: 69
  • DE35F452-11FC-4C25-95BE-1A0E49F4366E.jpeg
    DE35F452-11FC-4C25-95BE-1A0E49F4366E.jpeg
    188.2 KB · Views: 69
  • 6A4238A8-C386-4192-BA91-22B6DA0600F1.jpeg
    6A4238A8-C386-4192-BA91-22B6DA0600F1.jpeg
    89.8 KB · Views: 55
  • 245A3C94-3604-43C7-807C-3B446E52877D.jpeg
    245A3C94-3604-43C7-807C-3B446E52877D.jpeg
    169.5 KB · Views: 51
  • 03D80FE6-A4B7-4DE2-9B7F-AA8709FA6D4D.jpeg
    03D80FE6-A4B7-4DE2-9B7F-AA8709FA6D4D.jpeg
    102.1 KB · Views: 46
  • 0FD49C5F-830D-4085-905A-FEF9A8F0EB27.jpeg
    0FD49C5F-830D-4085-905A-FEF9A8F0EB27.jpeg
    190.8 KB · Views: 46
  • 748D77FC-9E94-4C96-8C35-F7836E969856.jpeg
    748D77FC-9E94-4C96-8C35-F7836E969856.jpeg
    173.4 KB · Views: 48
  • E69A08D9-DE9C-40D1-87AE-AC10C0B7A896.jpeg
    E69A08D9-DE9C-40D1-87AE-AC10C0B7A896.jpeg
    142.6 KB · Views: 43

Great intro and welcome.

Great story and what a year you all had back in 93’

I really like reading the backstories from THPers. Gives you real picture to who they are when posting with them on here.

I figured you would have revived a food thread from 2013 for your #500 post :D

Thanks for providing a bit of background, always nice to learn more about the fantastic members of this community.

Great 500th post, and thanks for bringing your humor in here, I've been enjoying it! Keep up the good work!

That is one heck of a 500th post. ? Always great to learn more about members that we typically don't know much about beyond their posts.

Great post. Cheers!

What a year for the family, that’s incredible!!

Great post Marc and hell of a golfing family you guys have! And no, I would not eat horse meat.

Great post "thread bumper" Marc :ROFLMAO:

Nice intro, I've enjoyed reading yours posts, keep of the good work. ;) (y)

Being new myself I've started to recognize certain individuals posts and you fall into that category.

This forum needs more Vikings fans. Glad to have you on board.

Nice post - would be cool if you could join your brother on the Grandaddy team.

Welcome and thanks for the great 500th intro post.

Thanks for sharing that. Great golfing family y’all have.

Very cool Marc. Where in Minnesota are you? I travel there many times a year for work, staying at the Embassy in Brooklyn Center

Welcome sir, good to see the intro

Great introduction, man! Thanks for doing that. You and your bro have some serious game!

Great post! I’m new here as well and it is fun going thru the forums and seeing the different personalities. And put me in the no horsemeat camp!

Welcome to THP. Go Pack!!!

Back