Almost a Disaster

GenErr

Reaction score
First hole on Monday. It requires an iron to a dogleg left. I hit my usual 5 iron, but shanked it (something I haven't done in years). It was a line drive straight toward the head of my 92 year old playing buddy who was waiting to tee off about 20 yards in front of us at the "red" tees. He luckily still has amazing reflexes and ducked as the ball nipped the bill of his golf cap. A couple of inches, or a slower reaction could have resulted in the ball hitting him in the temple, and who knows? We were both shaken for quite a few holes.
It was a reminder to us (we have about 250 years of golf experience among us) not to get complacent about basic safety on the course, and not put ourselves in the line of an errant shot! Lesson re-learned by us that morning.
We joked about it later when he told me if the ball had hit him, I would have had to tell his wife of almost 70 years, "your husband, who survived being a fighter pilot in the Korean War, was unceremoniously laid out by a Callaway Soft golf ball!"

Great reminder. The company I work for places a lot of focus on safety, due to the industry we operate in. This message, which I hear weekly, if not daily, has translated into other aspects. Sometimes we all get complacent, especially enjoying a round of golf. I was hit just last round, and should have been paying more attention. Luckily it was my ankle, but even still, makes you think. Always take precautions, even if what you've always done, because sometimes what we've always done might be wrong.

Damn. Glad everyone is okay!

Glad no one was injured. Personally I don't like teeing off if there's anyone in front of me unless they're behind a tree at least as big as they are.(y)

Good warning about complacency though:)

This little girl was supposedly more than 45 degrees off to the side. She's gone now.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/utah-girl-6-dies-after-being-struck-golf-ball-hit-n1030641
I remember seeing that on here and it's such a sad story.

We had our club championship this weekend and one of the guys in the group behind us hit a big smother hook from the 3rd fairway to the 4th tee box. One of the guys I was playing with had just pulled his cart up to it and the ball barely missed his elbow and hit his cart. It probably would have gone OB but stayed right there by the cart and he hit it to about 8 ft for a birdie putt. They yelled fore and it was unintentional as it was a huge miss.

Same guy that hit the one above is on the final hole and needs a birdie to tie and hits driver. A few people who were watching decided to pull up their carts by the point on the top of the quarry. His line for his driver is just over the tip of the point. He hits a low pull which is flying at their carts. It barely misses one of the guys and rolls through the OB (Outside of quarry is OB) and drop down in the bowl of the quarry. That was their fault though as they should have known they were in a potential danger zone. Here's a picture of the hole. The tee box is under that house in the middle and the carts were pulled up on the hill on the right. His line is basically the edge of the cart path on the right.1602016696964.png

Glad he still has cat like reflexes.

Glad everyone's okay. As someone who's seen some pretty horrific golf accidents, these situations bother me like crazy, and I'm overly cautious/aware of anyone even remotely ahead of me. I'll make them move because you just never know.

So he was standing in a tee box DIRECTLY infront of yours only 20 yards away?
He stood about 10-15 yards off to the side of the tee box, but still 20 yards ahead of us. My shank went dramatically right.

He's pretty amazing. We kid him that he's an inspiration to us. At 92 he's been shooting his age for the past 20 years.
I play with a couple older guys from time to time, amazing how they play the game being in there late 70's early 80's. Fun to watch.

I had one hit me in the nards last Thursday. It hurt.

Had another hit my cart. I was a magnet. I was watching a qualifying tournament for Ohio HS golf that my son was playing in. Neither of those two were from his group. I was smart enough to GTFO of the way under a pine tree at the very edge of the groups longest hitters range. However that wasn’t enough. Good thing I’ve gathered my last child, lol.

Someone needs to teach kids to yell “FORE!!!”

Or I need to wear a helmet, probably both for many reasons.

Good reflexes at 92! Glad he's alright!

I’ve been hit between the shoulder blades before. I have a friend though who took one to the back of his skull and was in a coma.

Hospitalised. Came to. Discharged himself and turned up home only to find his wife at home with another guy and his son and daughter upstairs.

They then explained to him that he had been divorced for six years and was married again, happily, and living at the other side of Edinburgh with his new wife.

His son, who he thought was 12, driving him home, then straight back to hospital really freaked him out.

Good reminder and glad he is ok.
I have been knocked out by a golf ball before and it's no fun.

First hole on Monday. It requires an iron to a dogleg left. I hit my usual 5 iron, but shanked it (something I haven't done in years). It was a line drive straight toward the head of my 92 year old playing buddy who was waiting to tee off about 20 yards in front of us at the "red" tees. He luckily still has amazing reflexes and ducked as the ball nipped the bill of his golf cap. A couple of inches, or a slower reaction could have resulted in the ball hitting him in the temple, and who knows? We were both shaken for quite a few holes.
It was a reminder to us (we have about 250 years of golf experience among us) not to get complacent about basic safety on the course, and not put ourselves in the line of an errant shot! Lesson re-learned by us that morning.
We joked about it later when he told me if the ball had hit him, I would have had to tell his wife of almost 70 years, "your husband, who survived being a fighter pilot in the Korean War, was unceremoniously laid out by a Callaway Soft golf ball!"

Glad it ended well and it is a good lesson. Something that I still need to be reminded of as I’ve been hit by a golf ball 6 times including in July of this year. Four of those times it was someone in my own group and it could have been avoided had I been standing behind them.

You always need to be on alert when ahead of the golfer. Good reminder.

Back