Altitude sickness?

RayG

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Okay- maybe not THAT altitude sickness. But I’m sure I’m not alone in this problem. This AM I went off to the local 2 level range a bit later than usual and was correct in assuming all the lower level bays were taken. I headed up to the second level. Found the one with mat in best condition that I could find. Once I warm up and stretch a bit, I begin with a few half wedges. Cold top thin 4 in a row.
I just can’t get comfortable with that drop off 6 feet ahead and 15 feet high. I find myself (at least at first) cutting off my swing, staying on my right foot (Right handed) and pulling off the ball. At the other range I used to go to, I could pull the mat back quite a bit from the edge and still keep others safe. But these mats are bolted or nailed down.
I am certainly not afraid of heights- I’ve been on the Empire State Building Antenna Array to take measurements for mounting equipment, as well as ridden the one man elevator that was inside the transmission tower on the top of the World Trade Center. Even sat on the edge of the Cliffs of Moher having lunch and a beer!!!!
This range thing takes about an hour to get somewhat comfortable making a full and normal swing ending on my left side.
Are there others out there with the same issue?

The key to a good practice session on any elevated driving range is to be wicked drunk.

#topgolf
Thanks for the laugh.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I use to frequent a two story, automated driving range. Desert Pines I think it was called. I guess it is still there.

Only thing I worried about while on the second deck was the club flying out of my hands, and what I might have to do to retrieve it.

Heights have never bothered me. In fact, I have done some pretty dumb things involving heights during my bullet proof days.

As for the drop off, I have tee'd off several times with a 100+ foot drop offs to the fairway below. These types tee boxes are pretty common in our area. Mesquite NV golf has quite a few of them.

Just another tee box swing to me. Just look out where the ball is going, and don't look down.

Last edited:
This is like when I have to climb up on the roof of the house every once in a while to check something out. Not all that high, but you know darn well you don't want to mess up. ;)

This is one of the scenarios presented as "golf" that is so foreign to the real game, it may as well be an arcade game by that point. :ROFLMAO:(y)
"Hole 10. Par 3. 150 yards.
Green elevated, 6 feet.
Teebox.......... will be a metal platform with a rug that is worn out, elevated 15 feet in the air so you have to worry unnecessarily about falling to your doom. As we are in IBF's Australian backyard today, there will also be a pit of gators below. Swing away, mate."
It's like an evil Loyal Bud Chapman doppelganger. :ROFLMAO:

I've done that elevated deal at the dome a couple times. I find it unnerving too, and I've para-sailed and cliff dove and rollercoasters and abandoned rr bridges, grain towers, whatnot. Not acrophobia at all. Just not "real" golf. To me, anyway.
Its just a place to swing. Let ball get in way. A net in the garage if its not too cold is probably better especially with real balls. (y)
I always think about Steve Stricker and his heated trailer in WI. :cool:

To me it would not feel right.

Yeah- on course, an elevated tee box over a cliff is no issue.

I have no issue with heights. I've stood atop many of the world's highest buildings - some even before harnesses were required. Multi level ranges have never really bothered me either. I did once get actual altitude sickness when playing golf in Mexico City. Interesting feeling.

Back