Alzheimer's Association Blondes vs. Brunettes 2017

nerfny

Reaction score
Handicap
20.9 GHIN
Three years ago I got asked to join a team by my formersoccer coach to play flag football and raise money for the Alzheimer’sAssociation. Three years ago I became apart of a team that has become more like a family. We all work together with the same goal inmind of raising money and awareness for a disease that steals people’s lives.
Every year when this event roles around I can’t help butthink of my grandmother who succumbed to this disease when I was 15 yearsold. When this event started I couldn’thelp but think of how my grandmother was at the end. A person who didn’t know who many of herfamily members were and couldn’t understand where my grandfather was. More recently I can’t help but remember thestrong woman who I knew you never crossed or you would get an earful of swearwords in French. I wanted to share astory I grew up hearing about my grandparents who were married nearly 50 yearsbefore my grandfathers death.
When mygrandparents met my grandfather had just come back to Vermont after getting outof the Army. My grandmother was workingas a telephone operator in Vermont even though she lived in Canada on my greatgrandparents farm. When my grandparentsbegan seeing each other my great grandparents forbid them seeing each other. My grandfather did not come from money and mygreat grandparents owned a 3,000 acre farm. Obviously she did not listen. Shemarried the young man who had just come back from the Army and her parentspromptly disowned her. Yet despite theirchallenging start they raised eight children and loved each other for nearly 50years of marriage.
When my grandfather passed away I believe that mygrandmother gave into the disease that was stealing her memories because it waseasier than dealing with her grief over losing the love of her life. Before she gave into this disease she was thewoman that stood up to her family in an era when young women didn’t do that tobe with the man that she loved. This isthe woman I choose to remember. The ladywho taught me how to make homemade cinnamon roles, swear words in French andthat family is everything.
It is for her that I commit my time to play Blondes vs.Brunettes and raise awareness and money for this horrible disease.
I want to thank all who donate to this great cause. No amount is too small.

http://act.alz.org/site/TR/BvB/NY-NortheasternNewYork?px=8388395&pg=personal&fr_id=10764

32de7edbb2abb8faa333c88a36e46c06.jpg

34c7a64b4dbd5819fea79f453b09b94a.jpg

b33669b178318cfd1862c80e9ca9556c.jpg

6dd76b25ca39402a18869148e0d40266.jpg

913aae9a262c6daa4f7236a8b5a44d85.jpg

8806ae871f31881c19d5f19d16b7a515.jpg

41ca97fd7a6f4987f6c6f0a7b796de0b.jpg

a1fa99b7cecab0704dfc983566787908.jpg

a40923e0cacd0312e1e19ef3e7e8cf0e.jpg

//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2017063
0/f9e7cab399bea13210c7855e8f3ae1e6.jpg
125c7276b6c289686b2213916db2586b.jpg

Last edited:
Donation is on its way. Your grandmother sounds like an amazing woman.

I also expect homemade cinnamon roles at the game this year :)

Donation is on its way. Your grandmother sounds like an amazing woman.

I also expect homemade cinnamon roles at the game this year :)
That she was and I can definitely make sure there are cinnamon rolls game day.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

First official practice of the year is this Sunday!! Most excited I've been since my first year.
I got to meet some of the new brunettes last week and their excitement about playing is very contagious!!
I can't wait to bust out my cleats and "magic gloves"?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Consider it done. Great cause, and you can tell a ton of effort is put into the event. Thanks for sharing about your grandmother.

Consider it done. Great cause, and you can tell a ton of effort is put into the event. Thanks for sharing about your grandmother.
Thank you for your donation!!

Practice tomorrow!!??

When you start your morning with a message from your best friend time to bring this home before your first practice tonight!! Time to put in the work and raise some money for a great cause??
673b73c86e5206fcd431ebf18d196cc4.jpg

Yo thpers I think this thread needs a bump. Nerfny has done this for a few years now for a great cause and I saw on Facebook she is short of her goal. Pretty sure as a family we can help her hit her goal for this awesome cause.

$35 away from seeing DeCrescenzo squeezed onto the back of my jersey this year!!

$35 away from seeing DeCrescenzo squeezed onto the back of my jersey this year!!

I got your back!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alzheimer's Association Blondes vs. Brunettes 2017

Can't believe I missed this one earlier Jenn.

Thanks for sharing the story about your grandmother, she was an amazing woman.

This also hits close to home for me so I'm glad I can support you.

I think ddec will like my donation name

I missed this with the chaos going on right now, but that has been fixed.
Thanks to mikedean441 for bumping this back up.

You all are simply amazing for your donations. It is amazing how hard it is for to make advancement in this field because unlike cancer you can't see Alzheimer's under a microscope. You have to play the elimination game okay so we know it isn't this so let's test for this. By the time you do get a diagnosis it maybe too late to get someone into a clinical trial.

I missed this with the chaos going on right now, but that has been fixed.
Thanks to mikedean441 for bumping this back up.
I hope you both know how much you have been on my mind lately.

Well football is in full swing for me. Two jammed fingers and a bruised up shin. I may need to invest in more ice packs Our team has new coaches this year and I am loving the way they are running things!! Time to not only kick the Blondes butts in fundraising but on the field as well. Our team has agreed to play to win this year and not worry about people getting equal playing time.

Well one of those jammed fingers is broken. Oops...
8a702729503be4aa4e7f4d88a607a3c1.jpg

As a long time football coach. Splint it, and get after it! :alien:

Hope you're OK though Jenn!

As a long time football coach. Splint it, and get after it! :alien:

Hope you're OK though Jenn!
Already done!! Sadly I already have multiple splints of varying sizes from previous breaks.

The downside of accessing THP via TapaTalk is that I completely missed this thread until just now.

Donation submitted. Hope you heal quickly!

The downside of accessing THP via TapaTalk is that I completely missed this thread until just now.

Donation submitted. Hope you heal quickly!
Thank you so much!!

If you were on the Pittsburgh Pirates, that would be reported as "finger discomfort."

Donation on its way.

If you were on the Pittsburgh Pirates, that would be reported as "finger discomfort."

Donation on its way.
Thank you so much!! We have been informed those that raise over $1,000 get something special to wear at the after party.

Don't you go all Ronnie Lott on us now!

Received a $500 check from a local dealership this week. Once that is added I will be up over $1200!!

Back