Am I the only one who hits my drives less than 250 yds here?

250 yards consistently off the tee is a good driver. You can play really good golf with this length and is probably long enough to play up to 6700-7000 yards.

For those who haven't seen people that hit 300+ off the tee, I would wonder what demographic of golfers you play with. With where technology of clubs and balls are right now, a lot of in shape, younger guys can really move the club.
Agree completely...at 220 tops I play the tees that bring the course into the 6200-6400 range...

I've seen them and I am in awe, but they are rare and I play at 7,800 feet above sea level. Even played with a visiting pro a couple of weeks ago and I would guess he averaged 260-270.
Here in NC as it was for me in NY, we're about 300' above see level.

And back in NY, it was similar in that it was fairly rare to play with others who could hit it at or farther than 250 yards.

Not so here in NC... at my club there's lots of former college players and even one Canadian Tour pro (just made it this year, then the pandemic derailed him).

Although I average about 112 mph now (up from 108 mph last year... yay me! ), it's ridiculously often when I'll find myself the shortest hitter in the group or 2nd shortest.

So many here can just pound the ball. It actually unsettled me at first.

I play with a guy that can put it out there around 300 every once in a while, but like your friend, his ability to estimate his distances in questionable at best. I carry a Garmin that can check yardage, and every once in a while he will give me the "I crushed that one, probably around 300, can you measure it?" I'll get the Garmin out, and more often than not, when we get to his ball, Garmin says somewhere between 240 and 260. :dohanim:
I seriously doubt he is hitting any drive 300 if his normal good drive is 240-260. Unless he is at a big elevation and gets 30 yards of roll or something similar.

The other aspect to all this is direction. 300 yards dead right OB isn't helping anyone shoot par but 220 yards down the middle sure does.

The other aspect to all this is direction. 300 yards dead right OB isn't helping anyone shoot par but 220 yards down the middle sure does.

The longer you hit it the longer it can go offline....

300 is the minimum drive here on THP

We know the proper way to align those slightly unbalanced, out of round balls to get the utmost performance out of them. They’re hot!

I hit one today that was 260 but that was downwind. I am mostly in the 230-250 range depending on how firm the ground is and how well I catch it. I wouldn't want to have to count on carrying one more than 220 right now. I am pretty straight though.

Based on an indoor sim (my ball) and TopTracer (range ball) I average about 217, with an occasional gust to 245 or even 255. When I was fitted for my last diver, I chose accuracy over a few more yards, and I don't regret it. I am at the age where I need to start working out to keep the distance I have.

There are quite a few THP'ers from NE Ohio that hit the ball in line with the upper numbers in your first post.
I wish I was in that group. But my 220 in fairway is fine for now

Last time out, I had 14 shots with the driver. Average was 246.xx yards. Longest was 292. Shortest was 193. Take out the longest and shortest and my average was 246 on the button. It was weird. I've seen averages that were close to the same with and without the longest and shortest, but not that close.

Thankfully, it looks like my consistency is coming back and I'll be picking up some average distance when I start hitting acceptable drives every time and stop hitting those stupid short shots.

I have to amend my previous post. After watching a Michael Breed swing tip on fixing coming over the top with the driver which is my nemesis, I went out today and hit my longest drives of the year. I hit two drives at around 235 measured by my GPS watch. Most of my drives were consistently over 220. I hope I can keep the swing though.

I dont think my average is longer than 250. Probably closer to 235.

My best strikes, the ones I'll talk about at least, are probably over 250.

I seriously doubt he is hitting any drive 300 if his normal good drive is 240-260. Unless he is at a big elevation and gets 30 yards of roll or something similar.
You can doubt all you want, I've measured enough to know he does it on occasion, but yes, I am talking total length, not carry, as that was the original topic, but these would be near seal level, little elevation change, and normal roll-out. His biggest problem is a lack of control, so his really long ones are rarely in play.

The longest drive (total) I have seen hit in the past 20 rounds or so was a 16 year old boy that hit one about 300 yards. It was a massive crush and an amazing hit. You could tell by the sound alone it was a pure strike. Prettiest drive I had seen in a while.

For most other golfers that I have seen around this area you might see one now and then get close to 275. The majority are probably averaging around 175-225 depending on how well they hit that day. I have days I can average 225 even though I might hit one 270, but then I have days, I am averaging 200.

You can doubt all you want, I've measured enough to know he does it on occasion, but yes, I am talking total length, not carry, as that was the original topic, but these would be near seal level, little elevation change, and normal roll-out. His biggest problem is a lack of control, so his really long ones are rarely in play.
People usually think they hit farther than they really did.

There are quite a few THP'ers from NE Ohio that hit the ball in line with the upper numbers in your first post.
And I ain't one of them!! Pencil me in for 170.

Edit: 190 if I'm really striping it.

Last edited:
Not wanting to call anyone out, but it seems like most posts I read are talking about their drives being 260-290+ yards. Is everyone here a pro or are yardages being exaggerated? I don't have yardage envy, just know mine will never reach that distance and neither will anyone I play with regularly. What's your secret ;)
Where abouts are you here? Hoping to get out again soon and get these lazy CO peeps out too.

It's 185 for me. Confirmed on a launch monitor at my local golf store a couple of months ago... I wanted to know my driver swing speed. It's low 80's.

There's a wide range on here for sure. Myself, I float right around that 250 mark. If I hit a good one, it usually will be somewhere in the 250-270 range with roll. However, if I don't catch one flush (which let's be honest, most of the time I don't), it tends to be in the 230-250 range. So I'd bet my average is in the 240-250 range.

It's 185 for me. Confirmed on a launch monitor at my local golf store a couple of months ago... I wanted to know my driver swing speed. It's low 80's.
We need to play.

Drives are definitely exagerated. This thread made me think of a time last year a guy hit one off the tee box and it was a nice clean hit and good drive. I don't remember what he said, but it was something along the lines of that is way out there around 275 or so. Once I got to where the ball was I ranged back to the tee box with the range finder where a cart was sitting and it was shy of 250. Kind of reminds you of fishing and the fish always weighs MUCH more than it actually does when you put in on scales ;)

This is from a launch monitor a few years back. I generally hit shorter than these numbers on the course....

DriverNumbersLrg.jpg

Some may disagree, but while distance is an advantage, putting too much available practice resources towards unrealistic distance rather than accuracy can be detrimental, IMO. What I mean is, by developing a good swing one should be able to make gains with both. However, natural ability can only be improved upon by just so much.

There are folks out there who shoot scores (differentials) I'll never touch with distances at or even less than mine.

260-270 total yard drives are GOOD for me so I definitely have a few that don't make it that far.

Where abouts are you here? Hoping to get out again soon and get these lazy CO peeps out too.
Up in EP, heading out now for men's league, our first of the year.

Back