Amateurs in Majors.

Scrap Iron

On The Eh Team
Reaction score
Handicap
Hero Shots
Last time an amature won a major was 84 years ago. Is it time to stop this and only have pros play or keep inviting them and cheer for the underdog story?

I like them playing. I think it's great for the game and the next generation and sometimes fun to watch!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I like amateurs involved especially when one makes a run at it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it's awesome. One will win again it's only a matter of time.

I like amateurs playing. It makes for really great excitement when they are really playing well and even more if they get into contention.

Great seeing amateurs in PGA Tournaments

I think it's great. Usually makes for a great Sunday story, plus the experience, I'm sure is unbelievable.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I think,it's great to see amateurs who won the individual at NCAA or the US amateur and similar tournaments around the world.

I think it's cool to have them there. Whether they're in contention or not it's got to be an awesome experience for them.

I like that they are in the tournament and really like cheering for them to win.

Someone has to win right? Why not allow them the chance. It would just suck to be one, win and then look at the large check pass you by because you can't take the winnings. I don't keep up with the tournaments much, when was the last time an amateur had a legitamite shot at winning a major tournament?

I think it's awesome. One will win again it's only a matter of time.
I'm with Trouter here, eventually one will get hot and take home a major.

I like it. I don't see an amateur winning anytime soon though. I hope I'm wrong - it would be quite the story :)

Amatures in Majors.

Amatures in Majors.

I don't see it happening. On the LPGA maybe but not on PGA tour. Not for 4 rounds with that pressure. That being said I'm glad they are in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Dont mind it one bit and encourage it. alot of those guys get that first major experience and it drives them to be a better pro which is always good for the game

I'm all for it. It can add to some drama and excitement, and it gives a lot of ams some motivation, whether they'd actually be able to qualify or not.

Not sure why would stop inviting the top ams to play before they turn pro. It's a great prize to play in the Masters, US open or Open. I'm all for it

Pssssht, I saw an amateur win the US Open just the other day. Granted, it was a movie with Shia Lebouf.

Let the amateurs play. Whether they win or not, the experience they gain is invaluable, and people still cheer them on to be the best they can be.

~Rock

When it comes to the majors all of the ams are qualifying to get in. Be it winning the US Am or similar event to qualify for the Masters or via the qualifying system for the US and British Opens. Most of the ams qualifying are future pros. Jon Rham won on the PGA one year removed from playing college golf. Is he really that much better this year than last? It wouldn't have shocked me if a guy like Rham would get hot and win a major as an am

Someone has to win right? Why not allow them the chance. It would just suck to be one, win and then look at the large check pass you by because you can't take the winnings. I don't keep up with the tournaments much, when was the last time an amateur had a legitamite shot at winning a major tournament?
Kuchar at The Masters and U.S. Open. Rose at the British. All in 1998. Jim Simon held the third round lead at the U.S. Open in 1971.

If they've got the game to qualify, they earned the spot. I do hope we see someone win a major as an amateur, I think the sports world would go nuts.

What you have to remember here is what makes a 'Pro' golfer. Simply that he makes his living from it.

Just because a guy is a Pro golfer doesn't mean he is any better than an amateur. Often the top amateurs are way better than some of the journey men on tour as they don't have to play well to eat at the end of the day. Some guys simply do not wish to play for a living but would rather have a real job and play golf for enjoyment, albeit at a very high level.

I think if they stop having amateurs at the majors or any other tournaments it would be bad for the game.

I always enjoy seeing amateurs in majors. When one finally does break through that will be one heck of a story.

I like them playing and expect less of them to win but to make the cut.

The amateurs provide a good storyline in the majors, particularly in the occasional instances that one is in contention. I know the Masters has always done it due to the Jones legacy, and they continue doing it as a way to grow the game globally. As the smallest field, that is the only one where you might argue that the next five pros might be more deserving than the ams, but I wouldn't change it for anything.

Back