An Ambitious Restoration Job

Paint fill mostly done. I'm not sure I like the black finish. Maybe I'll go back to polished steel with the same color scheme

Sorry for the crappy pic. Snapped it at 530 this morning before heading out.
View attachment 8975321
Your work is awesome and I would never criticize, however I agree with you that the black finish seems to take something away from the remaining colours. I think a natural or polished finished would make a massive difference.

I also have a question about the face of the putter - what are the three stamps behind the Scotty dog?

Paint fill mostly done. I'm not sure I like the black finish. Maybe I'll go back to polished steel with the same color scheme

View attachment 8975321

i agree. something about that black isn’t working.

Dang that is great work! Damn impressive!!

Agree with the sentiment on the black. I think its because its more matte than gloss maybe?

I agree with you about the black, but either way it's an awesome restoration job!

Your work is awesome and I would never criticize, however I agree with you that the black finish seems to take something away from the remaining colours. I think a natural or polished finished would make a massive difference.

I also have a question about the face of the putter - what are the three stamps behind the Scotty dog?
Poop 😜

impressive work!

Scotty player over 20 years and you are doing great. Love the green.

The golden-ish cheery bombs are pretty cool. I'd love another picture of those! As always looks like you did a fantastic job on the referb.

Amazing work. Did you have to remove a lot of material to get rid of the gouges? Does that take away much weight? If so, I suppose it's easy enough to add back to the head with the removeable weights.

The golden-ish cheery bombs are pretty cool. I'd love another picture of those! As always looks like you did a fantastic job on the referb.
They're actually translucent orange to yellow "flames." Going to strip off the black and start the finish over. It'll take a while before I have more pics.

Amazing work. Did you have to remove a lot of material to get rid of the gouges? Does that take away much weight? If so, I suppose it's easy enough to add back to the head with the removeable weights.
Overall the putter lost approximately 15 grams, which is why I added the 20g weights instead of the original 10s.

Paint fill mostly done. I'm not sure I like the black finish. Maybe I'll go back to polished steel with the same color scheme.

You may be able to make it look even better, but it looks great to me in its current form. It’s very impressive work.

They're actually translucent orange to yellow "flames." Going to strip off the black and start the finish over. It'll take a while before I have more pics.
Awesome! Well when you redo the "flames" if you've got time to make a short "how-to" post that would be super cool! Always interested in learning how you do some of your things!

View attachment 8975321
Nice!! I want better pics though..

I like the black.

If you're taking suggestions on finish, some blue like what Colt had on their revolvers would look good.
Or a nice color case hardened finish like what turnbull restorations does would look nice with those colors.(y)

I think that black would look really good with a black shaft, and an orange grip with yellow trim in it.

I'm always happy to answer any questions!
In the first pic, you say that's how you received it. Did the previous owner try to mill the face down smooth? Second question, in a situation where you were to re-mill the face groves, would you shave the face smooth and start fresh?

In the first pic, you say that's how you received it. Did the previous owner try to mill the face down smooth? Second question, in a situation where you were to re-mill the face groves, would you shave the face smooth and start fresh?
It still had it's original milling when I received it. The pics made it difficult to see (those were the sellers pics, not mine) But there was a pretty gnarly gash in the face, and in between two of the cherry bombs.

Yes, generally you need to remove the original face to re-mill. This is where you lose most of the weight. Much easier with a light milling vs a deep mill.

Back