An eye-opening fitting experience

Thanks! Luckily I've got some experience with that situation. The two clubs that stayed in my bag the longest - my G15 irons and the 2014 Big Bertha Driver, I both struggled with right after getting them.
You are going to be deadly out there!

You are going to be deadly out there!

Here's hoping! It was nice to see my gut feeling with the driver (losing distance due to spin) was actually the case. Now to figure out irons, which I'm way less consistent with than I'd like...

Can’t wait to watch you hit this driver

Sounds like you had a great experience, and found a really nice driver for your swing!
Hopefully the turnaround time isn’t too long and you can get in some on-course time!

Had it not just completely "clicked" I would. It just felt natural to swing. I think it's a swing weight thing - the Ping has a heavy head, so I could feel it through the swing with the lighter shaft. And the ball flight/miss I was seeing with my driver was what I've seen on the course - it's not like I was hitting shots I wasn't used to with that one.
...and while it may have been odd to you, it was not odd to the fitter who obviously knows more than we do. Isn't that why we go to them? For their expertise? FWIW, I got fit for a specific hybrid shaft 3 years ago and didn't pull the trigger, because the fitting showed a bigger need to change out my irons. I just went back and we went through the process again. The optimum shaft was the same--three years later.

My swing speed was 85-88 but I was fit with a stiff shaft in my driver the other day. The regular shaft had me pushing everything right.

Funny thing is, I've been playing the stock regular shaft in that driver for 3 years without issue until recently. It seems like once I started hitting my irons better, I started missing right with my driver.
Good grief.. isn't that the truth. Like the golf gods won't let you have both. My driver has been point an shoot all year. Now its gotten a little sloppy and I'm hitting long irons and my fairways like never before.

i have a similar experience with going to regular shafts but have yet to get it confirmed with a fitting. I have been playing x-stiff for the past few years and my game has been slowly tanking. This year i went much lighter shaft and a soft stiff and i'm hitting it signicantly better. Then my fairways broke so i started to use my fathers old light and regular flex aeroburners and i'm just puring them.

Three of us in my foursome play a Speeder Evolution shaft in a Ping driver. Awesome combination, glad to see you join our club!

This is awesome! My wife asked me what I wanted for my birthday and I said a club fitting but was going to change it up. Maybe a new bag or a new pair of shoes. But after reading this, I'm sticking with this!

Enjoy that new driver man! Hope it stays perfect for you!

My swing speed was 85-88 but I was fit with a stiff shaft in my driver the other day. The regular shaft had me pushing everything right.

Funny thing is, I've been playing the stock regular shaft in that driver for 3 years without issue until recently. It seems like once I started hitting my irons better, I started missing right with my driver.
Worth noting. There is no industry standard for regular vs. stiff.

Reporting back on this one - Outside of generally swinging like an idiot the last couple rounds with the long clubs, the gains I saw on the monitor are matching what I’m seeing on the course. The 7th at my home course is a short par 4 that I can now refer to as a driveable par 4. I’ve been in the green side bunker a couple times, and that was something I never had to worry about, even when the tee box was up.

Feels like I can just take an easy swing and it just goes. It does get a bit squirrelly when I really try to step on it, but I think that’s just me getting out of sync more than the setup. Couldn’t be happier with what I’ve seen on course.

Last edited:
I've been toying with the idea of visiting CC. Really have to get on that.

Back