An Honest assessment....Why are we the handicap we are?

My driving game is what has held me back this season. It's been a season full of water balls and OB which is a game killer. My course also has gnarly rough that I've spent too much time in. It's annoying because driving had been a strength of mine the past couple of seasons.

Two things:

1) Short putts. I always miss a short putt here and there that was a missed opportunity. A couple of those a round makes a difference.

2) A stupid double bogey that comes out of nowhere.

Two more short putts and even turning the double bogey into just a bogey, and that’s 3 strokes a round. Doesn’t sound like much, but it’s a big difference.

1. i'm still new to the game

2. i have no natural ability that facilitates notable improvement...or just improvement?

I have lots of problems.

I am not consistent enough with the swing. Therefore I can not string together good shots frequently enough.

I get in trouble at times off the tee and then have to hit under branches etc.

I can not get on the green consistently enough on par 3's, always a bit off the green which leads me too.....

My chipping and long putting needs to get better and closer to pin. I have not made one 15 ft or longer putt all year after 10+ rounds of golf.

I can get into a groove with a couple of pars and birds and then it is lost and back to bogies or doubles. I also tend to start off good and get worse as the day goes. I am in good shape and don't feel tired but it does go downhill.

I think I picked up something in swing thanks to my new Garmin S60 watch. I used the tempo trainer and found out I was really quick in backswing which tends to happen to me. I have got to remember my tempo and getting back to saying "Ernie Els" on all swings.

Golf is a hard game. I work constantly on my short game. You don’t need to be young or athletic to develop one, and it’s a real stroke saver.
I do work on short game I think a lot. I go to a local field and try and get 15 ft from pin from 60 yards and 20 ft from pin on 100 yards at least twice a week and usually average around 60% on those. Of course the ball is just landing on regular grass and not a green.

Also chip foam balls in little net in back yard by pool. That is very difficult to get into chipping net. I have not practiced much putting.

And yes golf is very hard

My previous post was proven out again this weekend.

I am what I am because I don't practice / play enough.

I shot a 49 on the front 9 with four penalties. Turned around and shot a 41 on the back. That's with a triple and a bogey on the last two holes.

It's just what my game is - I'd love more time for practice - and I'm working on finding it. Just not there yet.

Your handicap represents the time you spend practicing and what you practice, how much you play, how much you have learned about how to play the game, and what talent you bring to the game. Really, what else is there?

My handicap really represents inconsistency at the moment. In the last 5 games I have scored from 82-102. I am too sporadic right now and need to build in a whole game consistency. I put a lot of time and effort into golf and really feel I should be a better handicap.

I have lots of problems.

I am not consistent enough with the swing. Therefore I can not string together good shots frequently enough.

I get in trouble at times off the tee and then have to hit under branches etc.

I can not get on the green consistently enough on par 3's, always a bit off the green which leads me too.....

My chipping and long putting needs to get better and closer to pin. I have not made one 15 ft or longer putt all year after 10+ rounds of golf.

I can get into a groove with a couple of pars and birds and then it is lost and back to bogies or doubles. I also tend to start off good and get worse as the day goes. I am in good shape and don't feel tired but it does go downhill.

I think I picked up something in swing thanks to my new Garmin S60 watch. I used the tempo trainer and found out I was really quick in backswing which tends to happen to me. I have got to remember my tempo and getting back to saying "Ernie Els" on all swings.
and this morning it all worked much better. Had 6 pars and 3 bogeys. Did not get in trouble off the tee and made a 40 ft putt to save a par. also got out of sand well. drives were shorter than usual I was trying to not over swing. just have to keep doing that, if were only that easy

Grint says for my handicap of 14.5 I do the following:

- Putt as expected
- Approach better than expected
- Drive worse than expected
- Get more pars than expected

Mainly, it's my approach play.

When it's other parts of my game (some days putting is way off), it's because i just am having mental issues getting myself in sync with my swing haha.

I have the tools to shoot low ish (below 80 consistently), but haven't touched that mark in a while due to not feeling right during my swing the past few months.

Back