razaar

Reaction score
Handicap
I have an unusual story about one of my pet lorikeets who we named babe. Several years ago I found a baby lorikeet on the golf course which had no wing and tail feathers, which had either fallen out of the nest or been pushed out. I lean towards the latter because it never stopped squarking for weeks; we called her “squarkie”. Squarkie was a rainbow lorikeet, a variety which is very common to our area. Within a year squarkie had determined that I was her mate and everybody else was her foe. She escaped from her cage a few times but couldn’t fly – I have no idea why because she looked perfect in every way. During one of our game sessions she jumped up my arm out of the cage and flew away. She was four years old at the time.

About six weeks later I was closing the front gate and heard this wolf whistle coming from the tree above. It was squarkie. She flew down to my arm and never left our home again, setting up a nest under the eves of our roof. Whenevr I was outside, squarkie was with me or near me. It was like being stalked by a bird, but it was fun and very unusual. She chased away any bird near our house and came seeking my protection when she couldn’t handle the odds. This went on for two years; one evening I heard strange noises from her nest which sounded very much like a baby bird. We didn’t give this much credence as she didn’t have a mate. Then one morning she introduced me to a baby lorrie who we eventually called “babe” and who has now taken his mothers place since her demise. Babe now has a mate we call “bluey” and they always visit each morning and afternoon even when feed is plentiful. In leaner times they live in the trees in our yard and wait for meal times. They are the best type of pet, free to do whatever they choose.

Great story, I have a pet mouse.. who I'm trying to kill, my cat has 2 dead outside already.

Aww!

I have a beautiful parrotlet, Gabby. She has some feather issues too.
gabbysbath.jpg

Good story raazar.

Meet babe (closest to camera) and bluey

Meet babe (closest to camera) and bluey

Sorry, that is pretty funny though.

Sign up with a free photo hosting site like Flicker or Photobucket, upload your pics there, then you will be able to use the image tags. It won't work from your hard drive.

Oh yeah Llulie, while I am sure that bird is a wonderful pet it looks like Sylvester got a hold of it.

lol. you have to upload your image or link it from a site from where it is hosted. you can't use BB code and link it from your hard drive.
Mike
No idea why that posted as I had deleted it. Maybe a little temporary CRAFT (can't remember a f...ing thing).lol. Will post a pic when I figure how to use photobucket....not the brightest when it comes to computers.

Here goes
babebluey.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Aw, your birds are prettier than mine!

It's all good, mine's awesome and I know it. She kisses, makes the phone ring, and claps every time I enter the room. Gotta love mimickers.

Brad this is an olive rainbow, "Ollie" is her name, she was a gift from my wife when squarkie first left home. Ollie is dancing in the pic.
olie001.jpg

Back