Analysis Paralysis?

DaveGolfer15

Reaction score
Handicap
8 (WHS)
Have you ever felt like your game has suffered because you obsess over the minutiae of your game, course set up or equipment?

Yup. After a putting slump recently, I got so over analytical about my putting set-up and all the details that go with, that I legit couldn’t function when putting. I used the exact phrase you did - “paralysis by analysis.” Luckily I’ve been able to rebound and get out of it, but I’ve definitely experienced it.

My game, yes, course setup or equipment, no.

I am OCD and will obsess about technical aspects of the swing if I’m not careful.

But I don’t sweat the course setup/conditions or equipment.

Yes, I developed a great appreciation for what Kevin Na went through not being able to take the club back. I was fighting my swing and had no clue what was about to happen.

Well, I think if you ask who hasn't done this, you'd have a reeeeaaaalllly short list.

I have done it for decades, and my game shows it. It's a very hard addiction to break.

Well, I think if you ask who hasn't done this, you'd have a reeeeaaaalllly short list.

I have done it for decades, and my game shows it. It's a very hard addiction to break.

in my short time playing, i mull this stuff every once in a while...i have found the game more enjoyable without it...but it always creeps back in :cautious:

I have about 3500 golf clubs (no joke, but used to side business in them) sitting around the house. There are very few that I haven’t hit.

So it’s possible?

Yup!!

So… when and where we playing? Reggie still somehow lives so if local’ish count me in. I think you’d like my home course, Oak Tree. Nothing fancy, decent, 6 hard holes and 12 easy ones. Greens are huge and relatively flat. Very receptive and roll pretty good in the summer. Not expensive, depending on time roughly $30 cart inclusive. About the same type of course as the last time we played.

Or we can just play Muirfield Village again? Ha.

Yup!!

So… when and where we playing? Reggie still somehow lives so if local’ish count me in. I think you’d like my home course, Oak Tree. Nothing fancy, decent, 6 hard holes and 12 easy ones. Greens are huge and relatively flat. Very receptive and roll pretty good in the summer. Not expensive, depending on time roughly $30 cart inclusive. About the same type of course as the last time we played.

Or we can just play Muirfield Village again? Ha.
Well, I currently have nothing planned for Sunday. Let me check with my wife, if I'm open, I'm in.

I have about 3500 golf clubs (no joke, but used to side business in them) sitting around the house. There are very few that I haven’t hit.

So it’s possible?
What does the selection of fairway woods in the 19-ish degree range look like?

Yes, I think so.

I used to be SUPER detailed about taking notes on my rounds, fairways / greens / putts.

I have stopped doing that, and I feel like it allows me to be a bit more free and relaxed with my game.

Until 3 weeks ago, I've never had that issue. I was mostly a grip-it & rip-it guy. I've been happy with my game & been in 15-ish handicap range for years.

3-weeks ago I got my first lesson, and now on the range I'm already having an abundance of thoughts about what I need to do in my swing.

Luckily ....no.

I obsess just the right amount about all things golf! :LOL:

Seriously though, I'm aware of the effect swapping gear a lot can have, expect it, and don't do it when things are important. Obsessing about game management and strategy never hurts my actual score. I have to remember to turn it off sometimes and just enjoy casual rounds, but that's about it. And I don't obsess about my swing the way some other people do. Couple basics and work towards a feel. I actually think obsessing about the rest frees me up/keeps my mind busy enough that it frees me up a little when I'm over the ball.

Yes, I suffer from analysis paralysis at times but not related to my golf game. For equipment purchases, it can get in the way but I see that as a plus and I don't spend money.:ROFLMAO:

Having data available that I've never had before tells me that my game is not good, practice can help, and I'm average in lots of golf areas...

And @Smiter of those 3,500 clubs any left handed ones? Newer than 2010?:unsure:

Back