Anchoring, my view

Mach2

Reaction score
Handicap
USGA 13.7
I don't see any difference between anchoring the left hand to the end of the longer putter shaft against the chest Like Langer and Adam Scott and anchoring the long putter shaft against the left forearm like is done by I think Web Simpson and/or Brandt Snedeker. Anchoring is anchoring. If the putter is not held with both hands, it's not proper putting.

I also feel the powers that be should have stopped the long putter and anchoring RIGHT after it got started, not years after it was allowed, then stop allowing it to be used.

You honestly feel like Simpson, Kuchar, etc's along the arm method is comparable to Scott's? I can't tell if you're serious, kidding, or just trying trying to start a conversation.

I disagree.... anchoring to your chest/torso creates an affixed pivot point, whereas anchoring to a forearm there is still movement controlled by hands and arms. Plus, the torso anchor literally eliminates the proverbial yips.... see Adam Scott, Bernhard Langer, Web Simpson with standard length putters

I disagree.... anchoring to your chest/torso creates an affixed pivot point, whereas anchoring to a forearm there is still movement controlled by hands and arms. Plus, the torso anchor literally eliminates the proverbial yips.... see Adam Scott, Bernhard Langer, Web Simpson with standard length putters
Points taken but as I highlighted in your thread, hands and arms are involved. In my view only hands should be involved, not anchoring against the sternum or forearm.

Points taken but as I highlighted in your thread, hands and arms are involved. In my view only hands should be involved, not anchoring against the sternum or forearm.
I mean ..... I agree its anchoring, but not all anchoring is equivalent in my mind, at least your forearm is still moving and part of the stroke whereas your chest doesn't really move at all

Scott, Langer, VJ and McCarron don't anchor. It looks like it but they don't.
Your hands and arms are allowed to touch clothing during a stroke. 10.1b/3
You can also argue 10.1b/2.

Looking at past tourneys the golf channel played last week they showed Langer playing and he used to anchor against his chin.

Putting is deemed to be a swing where the wrists are involved. The powers that be deem the swing to be a flail action where the motive power originates in the body and is transmitted outwards to the club - the wrists are the medium through which this power acts. The wrists are both hands and forearms in this context. If the club is anchored in the hands it should be able to also be anchored against the forearm, as both are part of the wrist. It is that simple.

anchoring the long putter shaft against the left forearm like is done by I think Web Simpson and/or Brandt Snedeker.
Just came to defend Brandt Snedeker. He has a classy old stroke and a classy old putter, so don't lump him in with the rest! :p

I also feel the powers that be should have stopped the long putter and anchoring RIGHT after it got started, not years after it was allowed, then stop allowing it to be used.
I'm sure they and everyone else agrees that would have been better. But still better late then never?

I’m fine with what Scott does because his forearm and hand are away from his body. Langher is pushing things too far in my view and shouldn’t be allowed to putt the way he does. It’s borderline cheating.

Last edited:

Looking at past tourneys the golf channel played last week they showed Langer playing and he used to anchor against his chin.
Langer’s forearm looks pressed to his chest. He shouldn’t be allowed to putt like he does. It flies in the face of the spirit of the rule and good sportsmanship.

Last edited:
Should fixed point putter anchoring be banned? IDK. But it is. As such, the only issue I see is that Scott uses his hand as an extension of the putter shaft to anchor to his chest. That should be banned as well. If Reed did this, the universe with implode and golf SWAT rule police would rain down from the sky. Soft spoken nice guy Scott does it and it's OK. Using the moving arm to stabilize seems very different to me, btw.

You don't think the shoulder is a fixed pivot point?

From what little I was able to watch, it looked like there was a gap between Adam Scott's shirt and his hand, so I would say he isn't anchoring. I imagine it's pretty hard to tell when someone actually is, though.

You don't think the shoulder is a fixed pivot point?

I'd say it's much less of a fixed point than the chest, which is mostly rotating during a putting stroke, while the shoulder rotates but it also moves up/down/sideways, depending on stroke length.

IMO either let them do whatever they want or ban anything that is not held in your hands only.

I hate to watch Langer and McCarron cheat their way around the course. I will give Scott the nod as you can clearly see the gap, but why even let there be a chance that it is truely anchored?

It is really pretty silly to care about Langer but for some odd reason it irks me...now either cut my grass or get off my lawn

IMO either let them do whatever they want or ban anything that is not held in your hands only.

I hate to watch Langer and McCarron cheat their way around the course. I will give Scott the nod as you can clearly see the gap, but why even let there be a chance that it is truely anchored?

It is really pretty silly to care about Langer but for some odd reason it irks me...now either cut my grass or get off my lawn
The word on the tour is that people won’t sign Langer’s or McCarron’s scorecard on the Champions tour.

A podcast I listen to calls McCarron Ron Burgandy because he is an AnchorMan!

The word on the tour is that people won’t sign Langer’s or McCarron’s scorecard on the Champions tour.

A podcast I listen to calls McCarron Ron Burgandy because he is an AnchorMan!

New sign needed on Champions Tour?
Maybe on every green:
mind-the-gap.png

A hands only rule could be good, but under current rules the USGA can just clarify that a visible gap between arm and body must be there. They basically let Langer just tell them there is a credit card thin space that you can’t see, but as long as he says it’s there that means no rules violation. It’s an unenforceable joke.

Agreed. Langer and McCarron should not be allowed to do what they do. I can't stand to watch them play anymore. I still can't tell with Scott but am encouraged with some of the comments here about having seen daylight between his fist and body.

I may be the exception here, but if it’s allowed for all players then I don’t see a problem with it.

I may be the exception here, but if it’s allowed for all players then I don’t see a problem with it.

Well that's half of it but you certainly couldn't allow the putter grip end to be used like a pool cue. My biggest question is that if it's such an advantage, why aren't more players doing it? What are the putting stats standard vs anchoring?

I’m in your camp on Langer & McCarron, both cheats IMO. I used to watch the Champions Tour every once in awhile but haven’t watched more than 10 minutes total in the past 2 years and that was only to watch Freddie. I think the Champions Tour should be ashamed. I don’t understand how Langer & McCarron can have their scores registered if their partners won’t attest and sign their scorecard.

To be honest,, my wife and I love it (and laugh) when Langer misses a putt... (the only player we root against) He's a great player,, why would he leave any doubt about that fact?

I'll join you as an exception. This is an issue I've never been able to get excited about, and I've always felt like the rule change was both petty and an overreaction. If it created that big of an advantage, everybody would have been doing it.

I’m in your camp on Langer & McCarron, both cheats IMO. I used to watch the Champions Tour every once in awhile but haven’t watched more than 10 minutes total in the past 2 years and that was only to watch Freddie. I think the Champions Tour should be ashamed. I don’t understand how Langer & McCarron can have their scores registered if their partners won’t attest and sign their scorecard.
On what basis would they not sign? The USGA and the Tour has allowed Langer’s putting technique, which is ridiculous

Back