Anchoring, my view

are we going to ban variable thickness faces, putter grooves, triple track, custom shafts,

Scott and Langer are not anchored to their chests though...........:cautious:

I cheer against anyone using the long putter anchored to their chest.

To me it seems that the arm lock is a fixed and anchored stroke. The putter is locked in such a position as the whole arm, shoulder and club form a machine like unit. At least with the long stick it has to be unanchored for it to be legal. I don't like either strokes but it'll take a few Major wins before arm anchoring is banned.

I don’t see why any of this matters myself. It’s just another grip and stroke combination. It doesn’t make the ball go in the hole automatically, if it did everybody would have used those techniques. Just another way for the tour to stifle new ideas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Scott, Langer, VJ and McCarron don't anchor. It looks like it but they don't.
Your hands and arms are allowed to touch clothing during a stroke. 10.1b/3
You can also argue 10.1b/2.

Looking at past tourneys the golf channel played last week they showed Langer playing and he used to anchor against his chin.

I was talking with a Top 10 Champions Tour Golfer a few years ago during the Langer furor -- he definitely thought Langer was anchoring, and was not the only one. And he had closer than a birdseye view.

I remember seeing pics -- and I think it's best if you can see air between shirt and hands.

So I just watched a youtube video of Langer explaining how he wraps his thumb and finger around the butt-end then proceeds to put it on his chest. In my opinion this now becomes anchoring; there's no day-light between hand/club and chest. A second video from Golf Talk Canada host Mark Zecchino discussing whether it's anchoring or not....same opinion!
Ultimately, he's allowed to putt this way, doesn't mean I need to like it. I tend not to watch Langer or McCarron.

I honestly don't understand everyone being upset about anchoring to begin with, other than they think it looks weird. If it was such a cheating type advantage, a ton more players would have been using it so they weren't being left behind....yet here we are. It's not like Adam Scott went on a Tiger type tear when he was using the anchored broomstick before.

Back