And THAT is why....

RayG

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
... you don’t scorecard watch. Went out at Lido (Long Island, NY)in the first ‘cool’ day of the fall with temps in upper 40’s, low fifty’s but beautiful sunshine. Scuffled around the front okay, then started similar on the back. Just marked score every couple of holes. If I’m on a streak of some kind, I know what I had and will mark when I think about it. The meat of the course really starts at 14. After a birdie at 12(par 5) just played steady from then on. A few good drives and some scrambling on others until 18. Drove into the fairway trap on left, sizzled a 5 iron just over the green side left trap into some cabbagey grass- chipped to tap in range for a par. Once I was done I marked the scores for the last 5 holes and tallied up. 41 front/38 back for the 79- first of the year. And to par the last 5 of the ‘toughest’ holes on the course was a bonus. (16 is considered one of toughest holes on LI) None of the “...all I need is whatever to break 80” stuff. Play each hole as it comes and free your mind, Moriarty!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

congratz on your nice round:)

for me I no longer believe in this score watching or not thing at all. Playing far too many years and been through all the advice that exists and exhausted them all. I know all to well score for the round (good or bad) don't mean a darn thing for our next shot or hole. I can keep score or not keep score and it matters nothing to me and make no difference at all. I can play great after bad golf and play horrible after great golf whether I score wtch or not. But hey what ever works for you....nice round

Well done! Congrats! (y)

Nice shootin!!! (y)

I don’t like scorecard watching either but it was always difficult with it staring at me whenever I got back in the cart. Now that I keep score on my Garmin S60 I get surprised sometimes when I finish a round. It does also make me think about the hole I am playing instead thinking about what ifs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I try to avoid watching the scorecard. Doesn’t matter If I’m doing well or poorly, paying attention to the card just screws me up.

That's one if those things I find hard to avoid.. even subconsciously I know when I'm hitting more pars than bogeys, so I know I'm having a good round and start getting a bit too eager on the later holes

I only write down my score when I have the card for the threesome/foursome. That only happens about one out of ten rounds. My brain always knows how many over/under par I am without keeping track on a scorecard.

OP back again. Yes, I can also gauge how I MIGHT be playing based on where I’ve been hitting my second shots from or if I’ve been bringing a wedge along with my putter around the greens instead of just needing the putter.
But even if I THINK I’m doing okay, it’s 18 1 hole courses, not 1 18 hole course. If a double makes the card (not yesterday, thankfully), a new course starts the next hole. It definitely sets me apart from my buddies- they take a 6 or more, it pisses them off and are nearly assured of messing up the next trying too hard. It just kind of escalates from there until they get a lucky break somehow and calms them down until the next time.
I’ve ‘Tin-Cupped” a hole once or twice then parred or birdied the next one. Same attitude I have for my job. By the time I get to the lobby and out the door, I’ve forgotten what’s on my desk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back