Android/Apple Google Covid Tracker

buckeyewalt

Reaction score
Handicap
Sometime this past week, google installed a tracker on smart phones that have a Google platform which almost all do. Although the tracker is not activated(?) you can opt in and it will alert you to all people around you who have tested positive for COVID 19. To see if you have the tracker:

Go to settings on your phone
Scroll down to Google
Click on Google and you will see the COVID tracker. Supposedly it's not activated and you have to go through another procedure, but if you have tested positive, I would assume that your phone number is in a system which identifies you, hence the tracker will pick you up and will alert other people who opt in that you have had/have COVID 19.

You can't delete the tracker but you don't have to opt in so it will remain inactive(or so they say).

There was a thread on this a while back when it happened but I can't seem to locate it

It is a setting on your phone that requires a third party app to use. As of now, there are no third party apps that are capable of utilizing this setting.

This does nothing unless you install an app from a government agency that can utilize it. And even then, it doesn't alert anyone that *you* have Covid, it alerts others who have been in physical proximity to you (in the last 14 days), that they have been in proximity to someone who tested positive. There's no info about you involved.

Staying off on my phone.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Is this the" Google Health Services" that notifies me every hour or so it wants access to the internet?(n)
I went through my phone and deleted all the default aps and shut down absolutely every service and ap I could a few weeks ago.
My battery life is about 50% greater now there was so much crap running in the background from all over the globe. Taiwan, China, Russia, South Africa.
You name it. :eek:

this just goes to show how sneaky the tech world is.

Staying off on my phone.
Same here. I have it turned off and won't ever download the state/fed gov't app that would enable it.

Back