Another call in resulting in DQ!

The thing is, it is only the top players who get alot of tv coverage who are affected by this. Someone who's tied for 104th isn't shown on tv, so they can basically pick up the ball and carry it onto the green and drop it in the cup without worrying that anyone will phone in about it.

I've been enjoying IJP's twitter feed today where he's made his feelings on the topic clear. Especially enjoyed the comment about webcam tiddlywinks with people refereeing from home via telephone.

Absolutely ridiculous. I can't say anything that's not already been said.

i have heard, ignorance of the law is not an excuse having said that this "law" is not fairly executed amongst all players. cameras have to be on all players for it to be fair. i thought players historically have done a solid job of policing themselves for years without the help of viewers.

Any video of this egregious infraction?

They were talking about looking at the video on PGA radio this morning. I haven't seen the video yet, but they had sound from the rules official at the tournament and he said that when they looked at the video with Paddy, he said it was indeed a penalty.

Yea, I saw the video on the Euro Tour site.

i have heard, ignorance of the law is not an excuse having said that this "law" is not fairly executed amongst all players. cameras have to be on all players for it to be fair. i thought players historically have done a solid job of policing themselves for years without the help of viewers.

But paddy wasn't ignorant of the law... He knew the rule and to the best of his ability followed it. The percieved motion was an oscelation of the ball- with the arrow directly aligned with the hole. You could have asked him to swear on his mothers life the ball didn't move an he would have.

How is that a case of ignorance?

Tapatalk- for when work is not enough...

Were you watching them like a hawk? Lol

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

Almost made me spew coffee with that comment.
I feel for Paddy, but again, as said by others, he is a gentleman and showed class with his acceptance. I do believe this will be addressed sooner rather than later.
IMHO, the rule is not debatable, but enforcement is certainly debatable.

But paddy wasn't ignorant of the law... He knew the rule and to the best of his ability followed it. The percieved motion was an oscelation of the ball- with the arrow directly aligned with the hole. You could have asked him to swear on his mothers life the ball didn't move an he would have.

How is that a case of ignorance?

Not speaking specifically to this case. I am speaking to an obscure rules being broken with the player having no knowledge of the rule. Cleary he already knew of this rule and the penalty. To answer your question, it is not a case of ignorance.

I can't believe this is happening AGAIN. I know rules are rules, but 1.5 dimples? What is that, about 1/4" or so? C'mon.

How can this be fair to the field, like it's been said already, cameras are not on everyone. If you're not in contention, you're not on TV, plain and simple. Those guys must get away with murder....

I hope the viewers who are calling this stuff in are real happy with themselves.

But good for Paddy to be handling it so well. I know I'd be right ticked off.

What a joke. This is so over the top. When we mark our balls on the green, what are the chances that when we replace the ball it is in the exact spot it was before? A dimple or two or three left, right, forward, back? With HD TV and super slo mo they caught it and quoted it a dimple and a half (est.) difference. Really? That is like 2 or 3 millimeters. On a 20 footer. All I can say is WOW.

This whole incident makes me question the validity of my handicap.

I've probably done this before. Might even have been during a good round. I should have been DQ'd!

I've probably done this before. Might even have been during a good round. I should have been DQ'd!

Well, of course you should, you're a Euro :laughing:

it sounds like if he re-marked the ball and replaced it in its original position that there wouldnt have been any penalty? They were just talking about it during the coverage on Golf Channel. Not sure if I heard it correctly as the guy explaining it seemed like he was confusing himself.

I agree, although if you do your best to be a accurate to the rules as possible, it will be a valid HC.

Taylormade drivers get their second worldwide DQ of the season. Good start of 2011 for Taylormade.

I know! Since every group playing has a marker with them, give each marker a HD video camera and have them record every address a player makes, every spot and re-spot of the ball, every hazard shot and every single shot and practice swing a player in that group makes. then at the end of the round, the rules official can look at the tape with each player in the scoring tent before the scorecard is signed and turned in.
So now we would have 5 hours to play 18 holes and then another 2 to took at the videotape before a score would be posted. They could do like NASCAR and post unofficial results until inpections are completed.
You are right tomahawk, it is a joke. These rules experts, and I use that term loosely, that call in really need to get a life. It is a game! If someone on Tour was knowingly cheating, I can promise you it would get taken care of by the players and the sponsors. Just like you do the with sandbagger at your home club or course.

This is fricking ridiculous and I think they should take this rule and throw it in the deepest out house they can find :at-wits-end:. Now as far as the precious little TV call in jerks, most folks know how I feel about that. They need a real hard kick in the butt is what they need.

In this situation I am curious what would have happened if Padraig had insisted on viewing a replay of the tape to insure that the ball had indeed returned to its original location before he continued on with play since he was aware that there was movement of the ball. If a player can be DQ from tape being viewed by an outside agency certainly they have the right to view the same tape before continuing on with play so that they might correct any error before they incur a penalty. Rather than a boycott maybe they simply request to view tape immediately of any possible rule infraction situation (ie right there on the course) so that they can proceed with the least penalty possible, that should make for an 8 hour round at least.

This one is especially painful for me being a huge fan of Padraig, but I don't believe justice was served in any of these call in situations. DQing a player is too severe unless there is proof positive they intentionally tried to gain an advantage on the field. I would like to see a survey of how the pros playing the tournament where these rulings have taken place felt about the final outcome of disqualification for their fellow competitor. I don't believe there was any advantage gained in any of these recent incidents, Villegas came close but it would appear the ball would have missed the divot debris had he not moved it, if I was in the field I would have been fine with each and every player being allowed to play on without penalty.

This is getting way out of hand, there is no way that gave Paddy anything close to anything that remotely resembles an advantage. The PGA should really get on the ball and change all of these ridiculous rules and, never take aother call relating to the rules from someone sitting on their recliner again. Paddy was playing some great golf and, then "poof" its all over, absolutey ridiculous.

These call in guys are really pissing me off.. where do they honestly get the nerve to do this kind of crap. Seems like they are just looking for some acolade or attention by doing this. Jerks.

The simplest solution is to quit broadcasting golf tournaments on TV.

I wonder how many of these armchair rules officials are salivating over the chance to get Tiger DQ'd next week when he starts playing.

It has to be the Holy Grail for these guys.

Back