Another Club Champion Iron Fitting

OldeDude

--Still Alive and Well--
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
--17--
Please bear with me, this is probably going to be a bit long.

Well, I had my iron fitting at Club Champion earlier this week, another great experience, but still has me coming away asking questions. I was at the Sacramento (Roseville), CA store, first appointment of the day, on the second day of business after being closed due to the state Covid-19 shutdown. My fitter, Rob Weizer, was great. We talked a bit about my game, my clubs, my preferences, and my expectations. I let him know that I’m a bit intrigued with hollow body irons, and brand interests include Srixon, Cleveland, Mizuno, and Ben Hogan, but I’m there to see what works best, so no strong allegiance to any particular brand.

After a brief warmup, and hitting some baseline shots with my current 6-iron, we got started with the Callaway Mavrik. Going with graphite shafts, starting light weight and moving towards the heavier end, settled in really well with the Aerotech Steelfiber i95, which I think was the fourth shaft we tried. I hit the Mavrik pretty well with that shaft, but nothing special. So now to the other heads, Ping G710, Taylormade P790, Wilson D7, Tour Edge Exotics EXS 220, and Honma XP-1. The best results were with the Honma, with the P790 not too far behind. During the process Rob eliminated a couple heads he had taken out based on what he was seeing, and I asked about the Cleveland UHX, but he didn’t bring it out.

So it looks like the Honma is the way to go, hit a couple of times on the lie-board to verify that, and then I asked if I could try a few more heads just to satisfy my curiosity, the Mizuno MP-20 HMB and JPX 919 HMP, and the Hogan PTxPro. Just a few swings with each, just did okay with the HMB and PTxPro, but pretty good wit the Hot Metal Pro.

So Rob works up the quote for the Honma Xp-1 with the Steelfiber i95 shafts, and of course the expected sticker shock was not disappointing, out the door for a shade under $2500 for 4 – PW. I let him know that the quote is just a bit above my intended budget, and that I'd need to really go over the data to satisfy my need to over analyze everything. I asked him to email meal the data, and thanked him for a great experience.

More to follow .........

Well, I had my iron fitting at Club Champion earlier this week, another great experience, but still has me coming away asking questions. I was at the Sacramento (Roseville), CA store, first appointment of the day, on the second day of business after being closed due to the state Covid-19 shutdown. My fitter, Rob Weizer, was great. We talked a bit about my game, my clubs, my preferences, and my expectations. I let him know that I’m a bit intrigued with hollow body irons, and brand interests include Srixon, Cleveland, Mizuno, and Ben Hogan, but I’m there to see what works best, so no strong allegiance to any particular brand.

After a brief warmup, and hitting some baseline shots with my current 6-iron, we got started with the Callaway Mavrik. Going with graphite shafts, starting light weight and moving towards the heavier end, settled in really well with the Aerotech Steelfiber i95, which I think was the fourth shaft we tried. I hit the Mavrik pretty well with that shaft, but nothing special. So now to the other heads, Ping G710, Taylormade P790, Wilson D7, Tour Edge Exotics EXS 220, and Honma XP-1. The best results were with the Honma, with the P790 not too far behind. During the process Rob eliminated a couple heads he had taken out based on what he was seeing, and I asked about the Cleveland UHX, but he didn’t bring it out.

So it looks like the Honma is the way to go, hit a couple of times on the lie-board to verify that, and then I asked if I could try a few more heads just to satisfy my curiosity, the Mizuno MP-20 HMB and JPX 919 HMP, and the Hogan PTxPro. Just a few swings with each, just did okay with the HMB and PTxPro, but pretty good wit the Hot Metal Pro.

So Rob works up the quote for the Honma Xp-1 with the Steelfiber i95 shafts, and of course the expected sticker shock was not disappointing, out the door for a shade under $2500 for 4 – PW. I let him know that the quote is just a bit above my intended budget, and that I'd need to really go over the data to satisfy my need to over analyze everything. I asked him to email meal the data, and thanked him for a great experience.

More to follow .........
Thanks for posting this. Reads like a good experience and somewhat similar to the one I had. I too did receive a way overpriced (almost ridiculous) quote. I wound up custom ordering my clubs for almost 50% less than CC quoted, but the fitting experience I had was really a good one and I would highly recommend a fitting with CC.

So I get home and start doing some research on the Honma XP-1, reviews, cost, etc. Some good reviews, including some here on THP, and looks like I could get them from another source for about $700 less than the CC quote, delivered for about $1700 (damned CA sales tax!), which to me is still pretty steep for a set of GI irons.

So now for the questions. I got the data, and going over it it's obvious I didn't get everything. Some of the clubs that were obviously not working weren't included, the first shafts weren't included, and that part I understand. What really raised an eyebrow was that I got 10 hits with my gamer, 4 hits with the Mavrik, 8 each with the G710 and the P790, but only 5 hits with the Honma, which I'm sure I hit at least as much, if not more, than the others. It really looks like the Honma data has been cherry picked, which wasn't necessary, I know I hit it best!

So I've emailed Rob with some questions, some that I just thought of after I got home, and some after reviewing the data. Here are some of them:
  • Is there a significant difference between the Steelfiber i95 and the Recoil 95, as it pertains performance for me? We talked about the weight when it became clear that the Steelfiber worked for me, just wondering if it is primarily the 95 class weight, or also something significant in the profile. I asked this because I have had some experience with the Recoil 95, and really liked it.
  • Of the clubs I hit,what would he consider the best second and third choice, knowing how I hit them and what fits my eye?
  • Is there something about the Cleveland UHX that he felt wouldn't work for me? Seems like they are very similar in design and performance with the Homna (from what I've heard from others).

So there you go, not sure what I'm going to do, I can get the P790 for a couple hundred $ less than the Honmas, and can get the Hot Meatal Pros considerably cheaper than both. But I did hit the Honmas the best ...........

To keep costs down, find out what shafts are offered through Honma as alternatives to their stock shaft. I got the Recoil 65's through Ping for a small additional charge which kept the overall cost way down.

More to follow .........
The sticker shock is the one thing keeping me from looking at doing a Club Champion Fitting once they open in my area. I don't see spending 2500 on an iron set. Just don't have that kind of budget. So, I am wondering if I go to get that proper fit, but the best clubs are just too expensive was the fitting not the best for me.

That is what I am trying to figure out for this season.

The fitting itself is absolutely worth it. We identified a shaft that really works for me, although I'm not sure if it was a weight class thing, which would open up other similar shaft possibilities, or the specific profile of that shaft. I'm pretty sure that whatever I get I'll be sticking to the shaft I was fit into though. I also got to hit a bunch of clubs, and even if I don't go with the #1 choice, due to cost, I have good info on how I hit other options.

The issue I had with my driver fitting was the driver head cost full retail plus the aftermarket shaft and grip. I worked with the fitter to find a stock shaft offering that was close in performance to the aftermarket shaft. With the iron fitting, we were able to fit me in a shaft that was offered by Ping. So, the upcharge for a custom shaft through Ping was much more reasonable. Plus, Ping Custom Shop built the iron set.

Glad the OP had a good experience at CC, as that's been my experience as well. One of the nicer parts I thought was the fact that they give you the spec sheet and the Trackman data so you can outsource the gear yourself if you don't want to order through them.

My only advice for a fitting is if you have a budget you are looking to stay within let the fitter know. If they push you towards options that are above that price range, then move on.

In this case, could you go back and test the honma with the recoil to compare against the steelfiber?

seems expected given the recent discussions on CC and the expert club building. I understand the precision and reputation they have so i get the price, but fitting plus clubs is not in everyones budget. At the same point there as seen with some one the items THP has checked ordering off the shelf items might have critical differences vs specs.

definitely appreciate the open discussion and something to think about.

Sounds like an overall good experience. Curious to hear the responses to your questions...

I am planning to do a Iron fitting again, but I won't go to the same location as last time as I proved to myself the fitting was a bit off and the fitter was also the manager (he was very good) but I got a off putting vib off him when I did not throw down my CC at the end.
I am sure they see that a lot and it is tough to show a good report to corporate when most people do not buy. (Guessing at this, but it seems the buy rate is not very high). Since I have a predetermined shaft in mind and really only want to verify the correct flex that will be stated going in and as long as they are not nuts with the cost to install into my heads I will give them the business even though I can do it myself.

I'm hoping I hear back from the fitter soon with answers to my questions. I really liked the Honmas, but the frugal part of me is seriously pondering the Hot Metal Pros with the great pricing on those right now. Of course the P790s are still a consideration too.

I'm hoping I hear back from the fitter soon with answers to my questions. I really liked the Honmas, but the frugal part of me is seriously pondering the Hot Metal Pros with the great pricing on those right now. Of course the P790s are still a consideration too.
My humble opinion, there’s a significant difference between the XP-1 and 790. I thought the Honma were considerably friendlier, although that may just be my skill level not shining through. 790 are forgiving for the profile, but not quite in the same ball park as the XP-1.

So I heard back from the fitter, kind of ......... he provided me with more data, but didn't get around to answering my questions yet. This might be getting into my realm of analysis paralysis, the engineer in me taking over with data to look at. My miss during the fitting was a fat-pull, which reared its head once or so with just about every club, and having all the data available, no throwaways, the club performance was a bit closer than it first appeared. I hit the Homna, the P790, and the G710 more than the others, with seven to nine swings for those three, and just three or four swings for the rest. The Homna barely edged out the P790, with distance and dispersion being pretty equal, but the Homna pretty centered and the P790 trending just a bit left. The G710 was pretty scattered, but the Mizunos, the MP-20 HMB and the JPX919 HMP with their minimal samples were pretty good too. :banghead:

The CC pricing is bananas! Hope you find a set you love!!

Club Champions markup is out of hand imo. The process overall is fun and does offer the chance to hit different clubs, shafts and see the numbers BUT they will lead you to the most expensive choice in my honest opinion and personal experience. With CC, I was a not thinking and purchased a driver for waaaaay too much $$!! I’m embarrassed to even think about it. I should have taken the numbers and found a preowned head and shaft and had them built. That would have been the smart thing to do but now it’s only an after thought. Less than a year of purchasing it, I sold that overpriced driver for a fourth of what I paid originally. It all just seems wayyyy over priced.
Honma is way overpriced also in my opinion btw.

Last edited:
I just want to pay for a fitting, get the data, analyze things myself for awhile and go from there. I don’t want to purchase a club or clubs that moment. I want to understand my options.

You made a wise choice getting fitted, and you also nailed it with "paralysis by over-analysis"

But in my humble opinion, taking 7 swings with any club off of artificial turf inside a golf shop doesn't cut it, or come any wheres close to striking a golf ball with real world turf interaction. These club choices that you are considering are all wonderful, but everyone one of them are going to react somewhat differently out on the course. The G710's might end with a tighter shot dispersion than the Honma's for example.

My take is that you came away with a good idea of preferred shaft characteristics and the correct lie....... which is probably the most important aspect.

So, let this be a fun adventure and go try hitting everything you can get your hands on.

Club Champions markup is out of hand imo. The process overall is fun and does offer the chance to hit different clubs, shafts and see the numbers BUT they will lead you to the most expensive choice in my honest opinion and personal experience.

This has not been our experience at all in fact genuinely the opposite as during the initial interview, budget can be discussed. While I do think the prices are higher, because compared to off the rack, I do not believe price plays much of a role genuinely. They have a playability guarantee and the last thing they want to do is get someone into high priced gear that they have to take back.

I would even venture a guess that most of the fitters do not even know the margins on the different setups.

This has not been our experience at all in fact genuinely the opposite as during the initial interview, budget can be discussed. While I do think the prices are higher, because compared to off the rack, I do not believe price plays much of a role genuinely. They have a playability guarantee and the last thing they want to do is get someone into high priced gear that they have to take back.

I would even venture a guess that most of the fitters do not even know the margins on the different setups.
So most club builders don't offer a 90 day guarantee that the clubs will do what they are designed to do on the course?

Just going off my personal experience. That’s all I can offer. Was not trying to be misleading. Only truth was provided from my personal experience.

So most club builders don't offer a 90 day guarantee that the clubs will do what they are designed to do on the course?

I think many do. If they don’t offer a follow up relationship, I wouldnt be all that interested personally.
If people haven’t watched the live stream with their founder, I definitely recommend it. We discuss so many aspects of fitting, including how many swings people should take with each setup. That is a VERY important part of it because the body adjusts.

Just going off my personal experience. That’s all I can offer. Was not trying to be misleading. Only truth was provided from my personal experience.

Absolutely and we want all feedback on THP. Just wanted to offer a different point of view.

I think many do. If they don’t offer a follow up relationship, I wouldnt be all that interested personally...

This.

The after fitting relationship I have with my fitter, has been second to none. I've been in to have my clubs tweaked, play around with different setups, gone in just to test balls, etc.

I did get to enter their reward program, as I purchased my irons thru them. But initially, the program didn't exist, so in the beginning it was them just being awesome.

I couldn't recommend CC enough, regardless of what people think of the pricing, their customer service is second to none.

I did a 3 wedge fitting at CC back in Feb. I echo the comments about them being excellent with customer service second to none. I ended up with 3 new custom fit Honma wedges, with pured shafts for $700. Pricey, but...

... I have seriously seen a difference in accuracy on course, with the new wedges over the old ones. It’s phenomenal!

It’s a tough pill to swallow, but you get what you pay for. Perhaps try another fitting to narrow down a slightly more affordable option?

Back